Eat junk or nothing?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I swear none of you people read.

The person clearly said:
    I also, in the bk of my head, don't want to eat something that will trigger a binge.

Obviously "junk" food is food that the poster cannot eat with self-control, or that will cause a loss of self-control.

Yes, we are all in awe of those of you who eat ice cream or Oreos or whatever else whenever you want with perfect self-control and never over-eat.

Not everyone is like you.

some people consider fruit to be "junk"...'cuz sugar and stuff.

people were just wondering what the OP considered "junk"...a lot of people simply don't know anything about nutrition and, for example are afraid of carbs and consider them "junk" when in reality they aren't the devil or anything.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    P.S if I asked people I know what the term 'junk food' refers to, I'm pretty sure they'd all say the same...burgers, chips, crisps, biscuits, chocolate, fast food etc. I'm not saying you can't eat it within a balanced diet, because of course you can, but this is what I assumed everyone would agree is classed as 'junk'. So why the constant questioning the op about her use of the word?
    Or maybe it's just different in England....

It's the same in the US. The fact that posts say "what makes it junk" followed by "I ate <insert junk food here>" shows that they know what was meant.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    "ana3067 And what makes it "junk"? I ate ice cream, half a donut, 2 pieces of chocolate, and nutella today. I've eaten like this fr 8 months and lost 30lbs (taking the weight loss slow for my body composition goals). "

I don't know how to copy and paste people's comments -- so forgive me and someone tell me how to do it lol but ana3067. If I ate what you stated above, I would gain 30 lbs!

If you ate those things in moderation, like ana, then no, you wouldn't gain. It's all about the calorie deficit :smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Why not plan the rest of your day around what you know will be available at MIL's? You can eat the fruits, veggies, lean protein, etc. in your other meals so you can eat small servings of whatever she has available.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I tend to think priorities ought to go as follows:

1. Energy balance
    2. macronutrients
    3. micronutrients
    4. satiety/food preferences

So if the choice is to be way off on my calories or choose something that might not fit my other goals so well, I go with hitting my calorie goal first.

I don't know whether it's acceptable to bring food-- it probably varies amongst mothers-in-law. Mine would be very upset, so I wouldn't do it. But my mom wouldn't care one bit if my husband brought his own snacks to her house. So a lot of that has more to do with your relationship with your mother-in-law than anything else.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    "ana3067 And what makes it "junk"? I ate ice cream, half a donut, 2 pieces of chocolate, and nutella today. I've eaten like this fr 8 months and lost 30lbs (taking the weight loss slow for my body composition goals). "

I don't know how to copy and paste people's comments -- so forgive me and someone tell me how to do it lol but ana3067. If I ate what you stated above, I would gain 30 lbs!

Below the comment you see the date/time stamp, then a Flag and a Quote option. Hit Quote, type your comments below this [/quote].

But also, for emphasis, it is completely possible to eat the foods that ana3067 eats in moderation and still lose weight. What matters is being in a calorie deficit. I too have lost about 30 lbs and still eat ice cream, pizza, and drink wine. That doesn't mean that is ALL I eat, before someone raises that strawman argument...

I also agree with ILiftHeavyAcrylics - whether or not it is acceptable to bring food to your Mother In Laws depends on the relationship. My MIL is no longer around but she was more of the Marie Barone type, for those of you who remember Everybody Loves Raymond. If I had brought food to her house - heaven help me. Didn't stop her from bringing her food into mine and second guessing every morsel of food that I prepared and how I cleaned my floors... used to drive me crazy but man do I miss her now. I'd love to have one more day of that...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    P.S if I asked people I know what the term 'junk food' refers to, I'm pretty sure they'd all say the same...burgers, chips, crisps, biscuits, chocolate, fast food etc. I'm not saying you can't eat it within a balanced diet, because of course you can, but this is what I assumed everyone would agree is classed as 'junk'. So why the constant questioning the op about her use of the word?

It's the same in the US. The fact that posts say "what makes it junk" followed by "I ate <insert junk food here>" shows that they know what was meant.

no individual food is junk. what matters is the overall diet and dosage of said foods. I don't see why that is so hard to comprehend.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

no individual food is junk. what matters is the overall diet and dosage of said foods. I don't see why that is so hard to comprehend.

Oh, that's an easy one. Because you don't get to decide what others think is junk.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Let's face it: sometimes you will unexpectedly be in a situation where your body is saying "eat" and you are faced with this choice. A lot of people are giving you snide comments about how there's a 3rd option of always being armed with apples and such...but...in real life, we are not always prepared 100% of the time. S*** happens. If you're hungry and your body needs fuel, fuel it. I would suggest picking the least binge-tempting thing that's available, eating one serving (count out those 10 Doritos and put the bag back, lol!), wash it down with some water, and hold yourself over until you're back to where you can be in control. As a person who has struggled with both binge-eating and bulimia, I know that triggers may always be triggers, no matter how disciplined you become, and some people just do not have the capability to empathize with or understand this. But...bottom line...don't starve. Like the one person said, eat it, log it & move on. :-) My advice for the day, lol.
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    MelWick524 wrote: »
    Let's face it: sometimes you will unexpectedly be in a situation where your body is saying "eat" and you are faced with this choice. A lot of people are giving you snide comments about how there's a 3rd option of always being armed with apples and such...but...in real life, we are not always prepared 100% of the time. S*** happens. If you're hungry and your body needs fuel, fuel it. I would suggest picking the least binge-tempting thing that's available, eating one serving (count out those 10 Doritos and put the bag back, lol!), wash it down with some water, and hold yourself over until you're back to where you can be in control. As a person who has struggled with both binge-eating and bulimia, I know that triggers may always be triggers, no matter how disciplined you become, and some people just do not have the capability to empathize with or understand this. But...bottom line...don't starve. Like the one person said, eat it, log it & move on. :-) My advice for the day, lol.

^^ This, and I love you. :) (Man, people on these forums sure can be mean. It's even worse than the forums on mommy sites - something I didn't think was possible!!!)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    elleykat wrote: »
    MelWick524 wrote: »

^^ This, and I love you. :) (Man, people on these forums sure can be mean. It's even worse than the forums on mommy sites - something I didn't think was possible!!!)

I'd say the mommy sites are still worse. I've never had someone from here try to track down my personal info and stalk me irl because I disagreed with them (at least that I know of). Aside from that, though, it's a pretty tight race.
  • cdcruizer05
    cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I would say you could eat the food, just small portions. I basically eat what i want, just not alot of it.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It is a good idea to bring your own food next time.

unnecessary unless there are medical concerns to factor in (allergies, diabetes, etc). Like already said, balance.
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I swear none of you people read.

The person clearly said:
    I also, in the bk of my head, don't want to eat something that will trigger a binge.

Obviously "junk" food is food that the poster cannot eat with self-control, or that will cause a loss of self-control.

Yes, we are all in awe of those of you who eat ice cream or Oreos or whatever else whenever you want with perfect self-control and never over-eat.

Not everyone is like you.

Maybe not. But it is possible for you to change your mindset and being able to handle eating things in moderation. You'll never convince me it's not. I was one of the biggest out of control bingers when it came to sweets. I always said I could never eat those things without losing control. I was that way for years, and I yoyoed back and forth because the diets I tried were always too restrictive. I knew that I would never be able to stick to an eating plan where moderation wasn't a part of it. I like certain foods too much. Did it take work at first? Of course, but I was willing to work on it so that I could stick with my eating plan long term. Now, 7 months and 75 pounds down later, I eat what I want in moderation. This is coming from someone who was dead set that I would never be able to do it...that I was one brownie or piece of pizza away from a binge. Anyone can practice moderation and eat foods they love in reasonable amounts. And the first step is not demonizing foods, which is what many here are trying to point out to the OP.

This times a billion. Seems that a lot of us who have been successful with moderation (whether we used to be bingers or not - I used to be) are also the ones who vocally state that food is not to be categorized and demonized. Only way I categorize food is as yummy and gross, or high-x, low-x, because I am aware of macronutrients in different types of food now.

Had you asked ME about moderation 4 years ago? Yep, probably would have said "hell no" because it means eating a woo-woo bad, naughty food that would make me fat. But it was considering that food as the cause of my weight and turning it into forbidden fruit that led to me telling myself that eating 3-4 boxes of chocolate in a sitting was okay, that I would work it off, that I would keep restricting and that I wouldn't eat it again.... of course I'd binge again a few weeks later, if not sooner.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What are you considering junk?

Why would this matter in regards to the OP's question? Why must we get hung up on a generic undefined term? Just imagine something you don't want to eat and then decide would you eat it anyway or wait till food you did want to eat was available.

If I were starving, unless the food legit grossed me out (e.g. papaya), I would eat something. And the chances of me going somewhere and them ONLY serving papaya is highly unlikely.
  • ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options

If you ate 6000 calories of it? Yes, you would. If you ate within your caloric goals? No, you wouldn't.
    BTW those snacks constituted about 374 calories out of my 2100 goal. So... yeah, not gaining 30lbs on 374 calories.
  • ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options

Because "junk" is about as valid a term as "eating clean." It's totally subjective. Someone could consider juice boxes to be junk food... I don't. Or crackers to be junk food, again I don't. I also don't consider burgers to be junk food -- calorie-dense when ordered at a fast-food joint? Yes, but then again most restaurant/fast food food is calorie-dense anyways. I don't consider fries to be junk food either.

So my perception of what is generally referred to as "junk food" is not going to be the same as everyone else, which is one reason I do not use the term outside of quotations such as in situations like this.

ETA I do not classify food as anything, I simply have a pre-existing schema for what is stereotypically considered junk food due to my cultural upbringing. So me saying here that I don't consider x to be junk food means that the food doesn't fit into that stereotypical cultural schema of mine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm grilling up burgers tonight for my wife and I...how exactly is the "junk"...it's an awesome source of protein among other things...note that red meat does not equal "bad". I will also be cutting up a potato and sauteing said potato in a bit of oil to make some home fries, and as with most nights I will be having some dark chocolate for desert.

You can look at my diary if you like and you will find that I have a very well rounded and balanced day and that in fact, my planned dinner is fairly kick *kitten* on the macro and micro front. I'm failing to see how this is "junk".

I also need about 500 more calories to round out my day so I might have a couple of beers...now you can consider that junk if you like...but really, if you look at my day overall I pretty much kick *kitten*.
  • tlw7
    tlw7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mel!
  • ana3067
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Oh, that's an easy one. Because you don't get to decide what others think is junk.

Which just demonstrates why we ask people what they believe is junk: it's totally subjective. If I ask someone "what is junk" and then give a list of foods that I eat, I list foods that I just assume, based on my cultural upbringing and pre-existing stereotypes, that others will consider those foods to be junk because of the sugar, or fat, or just "because." I don't think I've ever included my consumption of chocolate peanut butter into such a discussion but as you see I posted Nutella as an example .. I don't personally consider either as junk, but based on my schema only nutella fits under the "junk food" stereotype because of the flack it's gotten in the past for its nutritional claims. Yet PB and Nutella really are not all that different aside from like, what, their sugar content?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Maybe it's that people are tired of the food they eat and enjoy being called junk?