Eat junk or nothing?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    P.S if I asked people I know what the term 'junk food' refers to, I'm pretty sure they'd all say the same...burgers, chips, crisps, biscuits, chocolate, fast food etc. I'm not saying you can't eat it within a balanced diet, because of course you can, but this is what I assumed everyone would agree is classed as 'junk'. So why the constant questioning the op about her use of the word?
    Or maybe it's just different in England....

I'm grilling up burgers tonight for my wife and I...how exactly is the "junk"...it's an awesome source of protein among other things...note that red meat does not equal "bad". I will also be cutting up a potato and sauteing said potato in a bit of oil to make some home fries, and as with most nights I will be having some dark chocolate for desert.

You can look at my diary if you like and you will find that I have a very well rounded and balanced day and that in fact, my planned dinner is fairly kick *kitten* on the macro and micro front. I'm failing to see how this is "junk".

I'm gonna guess burgers were lumped into junk based on fast-food places. Aside from obviously more fat in the fast food stuff, what necessarily makes it junk whereas your homemade ones aren't? Or what would make both of them junk? What would make neither of them junk?

It's just food man, just eaaat it.

Also thank you for mentioning fries - I wanted to make burgers this weekend, and I always love homemade fries; I need to buy me some taters.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    tlw7 wrote: »
    Thanks Mel!

Any time. I'm trying to figure out why this thread turned into a nitpicky debate over categorizing who defines what as junk food. Lol. Take it all with a grain of salt. Wait...is salt junk???!!! :stuck_out_tongue:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    P.S if I asked people I know what the term 'junk food' refers to, I'm pretty sure they'd all say the same...burgers, chips, crisps, biscuits, chocolate, fast food etc. I'm not saying you can't eat it within a balanced diet, because of course you can, but this is what I assumed everyone would agree is classed as 'junk'. So why the constant questioning the op about her use of the word?

I'm grilling up burgers tonight for my wife and I...how exactly is the "junk"...it's an awesome source of protein among other things...note that red meat does not equal "bad". I will also be cutting up a potato and sauteing said potato in a bit of oil to make some home fries, and as with most nights I will be having some dark chocolate for desert.

You can look at my diary if you like and you will find that I have a very well rounded and balanced day and that in fact, my planned dinner is fairly kick *kitten* on the macro and micro front. I'm failing to see how this is "junk".

I also need about 500 more calories to round out my day so I might have a couple of beers...now you can consider that junk if you like...but really, if you look at my day overall I pretty much kick *kitten*.

dude, why don;t you just pick through the trash for your meals so you can eat 100% junk??????

*sarcasm*
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MelWick524 wrote: »
    Thanks Mel!

Any time. I'm trying to figure out why this thread turned into a nitpicky debate over categorizing who defines what as junk food. Lol. Take it all with a grain of salt. Wait...is salt junk???!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

because there is a certain poster in this thread who shall remain unnamed who nitpicks every single thing that some people say ….
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It is a good idea to bring your own food next time.
    this

and this
    I swear none of you people read.

The person clearly said:
    I also, in the bk of my head, don't want to eat something that will trigger a binge.

Obviously "junk" food is food that the poster cannot eat with self-control, or that will cause a loss of self-control.

Yes, we are all in awe of those of you who eat ice cream or Oreos or whatever else whenever you want with perfect self-control and never over-eat.

Not everyone is like you.

bring snacks, ignore everyone else
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the junk if you don't want it. You are better off bringing your own snacks that fit your goals. Let her eat the way she likes, but don't let her choices impact your progress.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

Maybe it's that people are tired of the food they eat and enjoy being called junk?
    Why does that even matter? Eat what you want, however you want. Let other people do the same. They don't need to agree with your choices...or validate them.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    this

and this

The person clearly said:
    I also, in the bk of my head, don't want to eat something that will trigger a binge.

Obviously "junk" food is food that the poster cannot eat with self-control, or that will cause a loss of self-control.

Yes, we are all in awe of those of you who eat ice cream or Oreos or whatever else whenever you want with perfect self-control and never over-eat.

Bringing your own food ahead of times sometimes is just fine. I brought my own food to my grandmother's so she didn't have to make something GF. I brought my own take out for my birthday dinner because I didn't want/couldn't eat Chinese that everyone else was eating. But OP seems to be developing (or already has) a very black and white view on food. Life doesn't always give you the luxury of preparing food in advance.

What if OP's view of junk and processed food is like... sandwiches with deli meat? Macaroni and cheese? Burgers? Things that people should feel comfortable eating without thinking that it's junk or the end of the world? I understand not eating something because you think it tastes gross (I legit cannot stomach papaya, tried it and just cannot), or because of medical conditions.. but otherwise, if you're willing to let yourself starve because of your mental hangups on what constitutes safe food, then that doesn't seem like a very sustainable or healthy mentality towards food/dietary lifestyle to me.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

Maybe it's that people are tired of the food they eat and enjoy being called junk?
    Why does that even matter? Eat what you want, however you want. Let other people do the same. They don't need to agree with your choices...or validate them.

I don't know - I was just making a suggestion as to why someone would take exception to the word junk. That's why my post ended in a ? - because it was a question, not a statement.

I don't care about what other people think about my intake. Which is why my diary is public. If people want to call certain foods junk, and give the food some sort of moral or emotional value, they are the ones missing out, not me.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

I don't know - I was just making a suggestion as to why someone would take exception to the word junk. That's why my post ended in a ? - because it was a question, not a statement.

I don't care about what other people think about my intake. Which is why my diary is public. If people want to call certain foods junk, and give the food some sort of moral or emotional value, they are the ones missing out, not me.
    I don't notice the question mark, so thought you were speaking for yourself. My bad.

I asked because I have noticed a lot of people get really angry when people use words like junk. It is strange to me. If someone thought my diet was not healthy, I would view that no differently than if they thought a movie I liked was bad. I wouldn't care or be offended by it. Some people really do seem to identify with their food choices, and take it personally if you don't think their way of eating is "healthy" (however you define that).

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    this

and this

The person clearly said:

Bringing your own food ahead of times sometimes is just fine. I brought my own food to my grandmother's so she didn't have to make something GF. I brought my own take out for my birthday dinner because I didn't want/couldn't eat Chinese that everyone else was eating. But OP seems to be developing (or already has) a very black and white view on food. Life doesn't always give you the luxury of preparing food in advance.

What if OP's view of junk and processed food is like... sandwiches with deli meat? Macaroni and cheese? Burgers? Things that people should feel comfortable eating without thinking that it's junk or the end of the world? I understand not eating something because you think it tastes gross (I legit cannot stomach papaya, tried it and just cannot), or because of medical conditions.. but otherwise, if you're willing to let yourself starve because of your mental hangups on what constitutes safe food, then that doesn't seem like a very sustainable or healthy mentality towards food/dietary lifestyle to me.

Not every thread has to be a "teachable moment" about this point. She asked for advice about going to her MIL's, and it's her business what she thinks is junk or a trigger or whatever.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    i was taught several years ago it's better to eat something (When it's time to eat) then nothing. I ran Sunday morning and burned around 700cals so I definitely needed more food. Well we spend Sunday's at my mother in laws so she can spend time with my kids. She hardly has any good choices...seriously so much junk and processed foods. Thankfully I've successfully left her house the last two times not having eaten any of it! My question...I was pretty hungry and needing calories last week but didn't want junk. Should I find the best thing possible? Or wait until I can get something healthy? I also, in the bk of my head, don't want to eat something that will trigger a binge. (Next time I will take even more of my own snacks!)

I would just eat something if it were me.
    Don't run on Sundays before your visit.
    Eat before you walk in your mil's house.
    Bring food with you to eat at the house...maybe insult mil but maybe not. Maybe buy snacks or lunch that everyone can enjoy together so you seem generous instead of insulting.
    Eat the food mil has even if it wouldn't be your optimum choice. It is slightly rude to plan to eat someone else's food before they offer though. If being offered snacks or meals is standard at her house then you could assume it will be again.
    Wait and eat after you leave. Drink water. You'll be uncomfortable but will live.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

I don't notice the question mark, so thought you were speaking for yourself. My bad.

I asked because I have noticed a lot of people get really angry when people use words like junk. It is strange to me. If someone thought my diet was not healthy, I would view that no differently than if they thought a movie I liked was bad. I wouldn't care or be offended by it. Some people really do seem to identify with their food choices, and take it personally if you don't think their way of eating is "healthy" (however you define that).

No problem.

For some people, when they see food labelled as junk, they want to correct that - for the sake of the person who is chiding themselves for eating it, or feeling guilty, or thinking that there is One Way to Eat to Be Successful. It's meant really to empower those people to make decisions based on what *they* want, rather than what they've always thought dieting is. Does that make sense?

Like, when I started this whole thing last April, I thought I had to eat salads and baked chicken and oatmeal every day. I had no idea what was possible, or what nutrition even meant. I never imagined I could eat the things I do now and lose weight - so I'm very thankful for those people on here that encouraged me to stop viewing foods in a certain way and start learning portions and control. It's what's led me to my 70 pound loss.

So when I see people struggling, or calling food junk, I do feel compelled to jump in and just let them know that you don't have to do x,y,z to be successful. If, after trying to help, their decision is to stay the same path, more power to them. I gave them the knowledge that has helped me, and that's all I really can do.

So I think it's less insecurity or offense, rather than a deep desire to educate people on the possibilities out there.

My guess :)
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I like to be able to eat what I want, so long as the calories fit. But I also always have some nuts in my purse. I love nuts. They fill me up. I just don't really like things that my mother-in-law has, like microwave mac & cheese or donuts. I do eat "junk" food but it has what I like. Peanut M & M's, plain potato chips, not thick sliced, plain corn chips with fresh salsa < not "junk" ;) So I guess I'm with all the rest of the people that say bring your own snack. It might be nice if you bring enough for everyone.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Is it labelled or labeled? It's driving me nuts.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Is it labelled or labeled? It's driving me nuts.

lol, I guess it depends on where you live. http://grammarist.com/spelling/label/

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    elleykat wrote: »
    MelWick524 wrote: »
    Let's face it: sometimes you will unexpectedly be in a situation where your body is saying "eat" and you are faced with this choice. A lot of people are giving you snide comments about how there's a 3rd option of always being armed with apples and such...but...in real life, we are not always prepared 100% of the time. S*** happens. If you're hungry and your body needs fuel, fuel it. I would suggest picking the least binge-tempting thing that's available, eating one serving (count out those 10 Doritos and put the bag back, lol!), wash it down with some water, and hold yourself over until you're back to where you can be in control. As a person who has struggled with both binge-eating and bulimia, I know that triggers may always be triggers, no matter how disciplined you become, and some people just do not have the capability to empathize with or understand this. But...bottom line...don't starve. Like the one person said, eat it, log it & move on. :-) My advice for the day, lol.

^^ This, and I love you. :) (Man, people on these forums sure can be mean. It's even worse than the forums on mommy sites - something I didn't think was possible!!!)

I'd say the mommy sites are still worse. I've never had someone from here try to track down my personal info and stalk me irl because I disagreed with them (at least that I know of). Aside from that, though, it's a pretty tight race.

OMG mummy sites are horrendous! Not sure about in the US, but Mumsnet and Netmums in the UK..scary lol.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I also need about 500 more calories to round out my day so I might have a couple of beers...now you can consider that junk if you like...but really, if you look at my day overall I pretty much kick *kitten*.

I was more referring to fast food, and yes that is what pretty much everyone would consider junk in England. I'm sorry if that offends you.

No, I wouldn't consider a homemade burger as junk, however it would eat into my calorie allowance a fair bit (if I were having it in a roll) so I probably wouldn't eat one. You need to remember that not everyone can eat 2000+ calories a day to lose weight/maintain.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ACtually do you think u have a clean eating disorder? Cause im suffering from it. And i deemed food that doesnt fit into my clean eating to be 'bad'. I think it socially alienating myself and doesnt nourish my soul at all.
  • ndj1979
    Options

because it is dumb to label foods "good" "bad" "junk" etc…food does not have a moralistic value…it is just energy that your body uses to function …

combine it in the right way and you get certain results.

no one gets "angry" ..they just ask the poster to define what they are defining as "junk"…

at the end of the day there is no junk food that is just a simplistic way to label food as bad and then avoid it because one believes it is bad.