I quit smoking while dieting..

Options

Replies

• fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have quit 5 times and never gained weight. It really has no correlation for me. Looking to quit again for the sixth time soon, lol.

Nope, you never quit. Because you are still smoking! You just stopped for a while. Quitting is never doing it again.

I don't think being so proscriptive is necessarily helpful. This isn't a scientific article on smoking cessation in which we all need to operationalize our variables in the same way. I think most people think "quit smoking" means that they had a temporary (however long that may be) or permanent halting of habitual cigarette smoking... I think we all intend to make it permanent but...addiction.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    A perfect time to quit cold turkey. No e-cigs, Nicorette, or patches. Within 48 to 72 hours, the nicotine addiction is OUT of your system. After that, it's all mental, which you can easily control.
  • fevrale
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A perfect time to quit cold turkey. No e-cigs, Nicorette, or patches. Within 48 to 72 hours, the nicotine addiction is OUT of your system. After that, it's all mental, which you can easily control.

:unamused:

Please don't tell people what they can "easily control." It it were easy, well, it wouldn't be an issue, would it? I guess you could say the same about weight loss. People do what works for them. Sometimes, it doesn't end up working out. But the data on weight loss and the best ways to do it is way more conclusive. The evidence that you posted above (why quit.com or something) isn't that compelling. So 48% of people report they quit cold turkey. That doesn't mean it's the best or most sustainable way. Why? Because only 5-7% of people who quit give up the habit for good. A lot of those cold turkey people are going to return to smoking eventually, statically speaking. Not to deter people, but most of us know it's hard and we try multiple times.

Anyway, this was more of a "quitting smoking while losing weight" thread. Someone mentioned e-cigs, others mentioned multiple attempts to quit within that same thought process: how to maintain their weight loss when quitting smoking. Something, as I'm sure you know per your profile, is a big concern.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey as well after researching how bad nicotine itself is for you. Hi heart disease and strokes. The first week sucked but all good now. I didn't really gain but I followed the advice of drinking juice throughout the day. The thing that gets you is that smoking keeps your blood sugar levels raised...which in turns makes you not as hungry throughout the day. When you quit your "normal" levels you are accustomed to tank and make you so hungry plus you get your sense of taste and smell back on top of it. If you can keep a bit a fruit juice with ya during the day then you can keep your blood sugar levels in check. It's not perfect and you will still be hungry but its enough to keep you from wanting to inhale every bit of food around you.

Awesome job btw. Screw nicotine and slowly killing yourself. I honestly wish the tobacco companies will get their *kitten* kicked legally so bad they wouldn't be able to even operate anymore.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i quit smoking last year and didnt gain weight.
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    fevrale wrote: »

:unamused:

Please don't tell people what they can "easily control." It it were easy, well, it wouldn't be an issue, would it? I guess you could say the same about weight loss. People do what works for them. Sometimes, it doesn't end up working out. But the data on weight loss and the best ways to do it is way more conclusive. The evidence that you posted above (why quit.com or something) isn't that compelling. So 48% of people report they quit cold turkey. That doesn't mean it's the best or most sustainable way. Why? Because only 5-7% of people who quit give up the habit for good. A lot of those cold turkey people are going to return to smoking eventually, statically speaking. Not to deter people, but most of us know it's hard and we try multiple times.

Anyway, this was more of a "quitting smoking while losing weight" thread. Someone mentioned e-cigs, others mentioned multiple attempts to quit within that same thought process: how to maintain their weight loss when quitting smoking. Something, as I'm sure you know per your profile, is a big concern.

Agreed! If mental things were all easy to control, none of us would be here fighting with the will power to eat better.

Side note on the e-cigs, you can down grade the nicotine level to where it's just a "habit" rather than an addiction. I've been weaning myself off the nicotine portion, from 24 to 3 mg, and hopefully to zero soon. I still need the something in my hand and oral fixation - in fact, decreasing the nicotine hasn't bothered me whatsoever, but not being able to "smoke" really bothers me. I'd say the mind over matter has been the most difficult part altogether for me.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I have quit 5 times and never gained weight. It really has no correlation for me. Looking to quit again for the sixth time soon, lol.

If you're on your sixth *attempt* ... we can't really call the other times "quit" and be honest about it, can we?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    AshC1023 wrote: »

Agreed! If mental things were all easy to control, none of us would be here fighting with the will power to eat better.

Side note on the e-cigs, you can down grade the nicotine level to where it's just a "habit" rather than an addiction. I've been weaning myself off the nicotine portion, from 24 to 3 mg, and hopefully to zero soon. I still need the something in my hand and oral fixation - in fact, decreasing the nicotine hasn't bothered me whatsoever, but not being able to "smoke" really bothers me. I'd say the mind over matter has been the most difficult part altogether for me.

If you're "fighting", then you're doin' it wrong. Both with smoking AND weight loss.

• fevrale
    Options

If you're "fighting", then you're doin' it wrong. Both with smoking AND weight loss.

Wait, can I not say that I quit smoking? Cuz, you know, I can't guarantee I won't pick up a cigarette again when I'm 56 or something? Is quitting smoking something you can only determine after a person has died, sort of like Alzheimer's? "Ok, yep, you're on your death bed so you can finally say you quit for good. Hooray" Most people take multiple attempts, so yeah. I guess semantics? Different definition of quitting? Whatever, @swankytomato quit several times for multiple years. She can call it what she wants.

And how, good sir, can we do it right? Quitting smoking AND weight loss. What's the magic bullet for changing your mental outlook? Is there a formula involved? Please, please advise.
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    If it wasn't a fight, everyone would do it and nobody would be obese and everyone would quit smoking the first time around. At least I can admit that it's a fight to not eat something I know isn't something I should eat. Admitting the problem is half the process, actually doing something to fix it is the other half.
    Any addition is a struggle to not fall back on old ways. Drugs, cigarettes, whatever. I lived with an alcoholic for years, who finally got sober. To say it wasn't a fight for them to say no to a bottle of Jack Daniels would be a complete lie. It took a lot of bad times for him to realize how it affected everyone else, and there were some massive relapses. I don't live with that person anymore, but I hear they are staying sober. A day late and a dollar short for our relationship and his criminal record all the same.
    Coming into a life changing event like quitting smoking or dieting with the realization that there will be mistakes, failures, and a struggle along the way, and that it doesn't have to ruin everything if you mess up once, has been the most beneficial way for me to look at anything. Quality of life improvement isn't an over-night achievement.
  • fevrale
    Options
    If it wasn't a fight, everyone would do it and nobody would be obese and everyone would quit smoking the first time around. At least I can admit that it's a fight to not eat something I know isn't something I should eat. Admitting the problem is half the process, actually doing something to fix it is the other half.
    Any addition is a struggle to not fall back on old ways. Drugs, cigarettes, whatever. I lived with an alcoholic for years, who finally got sober. To say it wasn't a fight for them to say no to a bottle of Jack Daniels would be a complete lie. It took a lot of bad times for him to realize how it affected everyone else, and there were some massive relapses. I don't live with that person anymore, but I hear they are staying sober. A day late and a dollar short for our relationship and his criminal record all the same.
    Coming into a life changing event like quitting smoking or dieting with the realization that there will be mistakes, failures, and a struggle along the way, and that it doesn't have to ruin everything if you mess up once, has been the most beneficial way for me to look at anything. Quality of life improvement isn't an over-night achievement.

You're right. And so are the people who know these struggles.

Unfortunately, some people here seem to think that everything can be solved with a formula even though most people realize that life is more complicated than that. Yes, we know weight loss is calories eaten - calories burned. Or that your physical addiction to nicotine is broken in like 3 days. The formula is simple; but the attitude, mental blocks, real life problems can make it harder to achieve. And it all takes time.

To all of us who have tried and succeeded and even slipped up, trying to make an improvement is the essential part. We'll get there, but maybe not with a quick, simple "correct" fix. :blush:
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I want to urge anyone who's struggling with quitting to consider vaping if they haven't already. I'm pretty addicted to tobacco - pack a day from the age of 15-6. I did once quit for 1.5 years, then 6 months, using classic NRTs (gum & patch). Those haven't worked this time (and the nic gum took out a filling). But I'm doing well with e-cigarettes, in a way I really hadn't anticipated. It's close enough to be satisfying, but different enough that I can see it breaking the habit. I am vaping much less than I smoked - a few times a day, only when my craving is overwhelming. And then I'm good, for longer than I'd have thought. (I think I am in slight withdrawal during this time, but I'm not freaking out, because I have this amazing backup that totally works).

Heads up - it requires the right gear - I tried e-cigs before and it didn't work at all, because the stuff kept breaking. A helpful vape shop can help you make a good choice.
  • vchan000
    vchan000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking, I didn't gain weight, but I was also hyper aware of what I might be replacing the hand to mouth fixation with. What finally did it for me was in fact food, but I handled it slightly differently.

Shelled sunflower seeds, but I ate them with chopsticks. The fancy smooth ones that come to a small point. Even when you get REALLY good with chopsticks (and I now am), so long as you avoid the 'shovel' method its nearly impossible to eat so many that it has an adverse effect on you.
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    I went cold turkey as well after researching how bad nicotine itself is for you. Hi heart disease and strokes. The first week sucked but all good now. I didn't really gain but I followed the advice of drinking juice throughout the day. The thing that gets you is that smoking keeps your blood sugar levels raised...which in turns makes you not as hungry throughout the day. When you quit your "normal" levels you are accustomed to tank and make you so hungry plus you get your sense of taste and smell back on top of it. If you can keep a bit a fruit juice with ya during the day then you can keep your blood sugar levels in check. It's not perfect and you will still be hungry but its enough to keep you from wanting to inhale every bit of food around you.

Awesome job btw. Screw nicotine and slowly killing yourself. I honestly wish the tobacco companies will get their *kitten* kicked legally so bad they wouldn't be able to even operate anymore.

Thanks!! I quit smoking 3 weeks ago and started working out 5 weeks ago. Right now I'm at a stand still with my weight. I've been lifting weights and a lot of my friends have been telling me the scale stopped moving because of body recomposition but they can still see a noticeable difference. I was just worried that it had something to do with quitting cigarettes.

However, I've been staying in my calorie goal so hopefully that's not what's been going on. I have had more of a sweet tooth though!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Quitting smoking is a bazillion times harder than it was for me to lose weight.
    Keeping away from the cigarettes are going to be a constant struggle and I'll be "fighting" it all the way! :angry:
    Jeez I wish everything was as easy as you make it out to be. :huh:

• bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Quitting smoking is a bazillion times harder than it was for me to lose weight.
    Keeping away from the cigarettes are going to be a constant struggle and I'll be "fighting" it all the way! :angry:
    Jeez I wish everything was as easy as you make it out to be. :huh:

I agree Christine!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I basically had a mental breakdown when I quit cold turkey last September. It was about 2 weeks into the quit and I was still crying for no reason on a daily basis. Don't make sweeping generalizations about drug withdrawal, it's not that simple for a lot of people. That's why I get really annoyed when people talk about food "addiction" here. I was addicted to nicotine and quitting smoking was absolutely horrible, and painful. It felt like someone died. I'm proud that I have not gone back.

I didn't gain actual weight because of quitting because I was already into MFP and monitoring myself. However, I experienced ridiculous swelling in my feet and legs after my first day without cigarettes - gained 7 lbs of water overnight that evened out 3 days later.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »

I basically had a mental breakdown when I quit cold turkey last September. It was about 2 weeks into the quit and I was still crying for no reason on a daily basis. Don't make sweeping generalizations about drug withdrawal, it's not that simple for a lot of people. That's why I get really annoyed when people talk about food "addiction" here. I was addicted to nicotine and quitting smoking was absolutely horrible, and painful. It felt like someone died. I'm proud that I have not gone back.

I didn't gain actual weight because of quitting because I was already into MFP and monitoring myself. However, I experienced ridiculous swelling in my feet and legs after my first day without cigarettes - gained 7 lbs of water overnight that evened out 3 days later.

You should be proud! Well done! It's, by far, the hardest addiction to quit.

I hear what you're saying about feeling frustrated, but you know, people just believe what they do, so...

Swelling in your feet and legs? How odd! I remember that I initially got really horrible acne when I quit for 18 mos (with patches+gum). The body's so weird. (This time, somehow, so far, my skin looks really clear, to me anyway - seems to have lost a bit of blahness, looks pinker. But I'm still/also using nicotine, via vaping. I don't get it.)

• tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options

Nope, you never quit. Because you are still smoking! You just stopped for a while. Quitting is never doing it again.

Yeah, I agree with @fevrale, this all-or-nothing attitude is really unhelpful. Any time not smoking is a bonus. It takes as long as it takes.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I gained about 25 lbs when I quit for good. Thing is, I wasnt going to try and tackle two beasts when one of the beasts is my ally against smoking. I just decided that weight is temporary, the carcinogens' effect on my body is not. Therefore, I ate like that fat uncle that makes christmas dinner cleanup easier bc less tupperware is needed. I didnt care, bc two years down the road, I am 10 lbs less than I was when I quit!

Fact is, if you truly want to quit smoking, you have to sacrifice. If you get a strong craving, and you are at your diet limit...what will you do? I say dont give a *kitten* about getting fatter. You are quitting smoking! You smoking now is still less healthy than a you +100 lbs and NOT smoking. aiming to lose weight while quitting smoking will prove a very hard challenge, because you need to give your body time to adjust to the lack of nicotine. I pigged out on anything snackable because it gave my brain the placebo effect, whereby satisfying it, and eventually the cravings went away and I started my diet and fitness plan.

I wont say best of luck, but I will say may the willpower be with you! I sure couldnt do what you want to do.