Help!! I'm Hangry!!

Options

Replies

• paulahope2
    Options
    fevrale wrote: »
    I save myself from hanger with planned meals and always having something within reach should the hanger arise. The hanger is at its worst for me when I don't plan and I let myself get too hungry.

P.S. Getting hangry is a real thing! At least in this study :wink: http://www.nbc4i.com/story/25255682/ohio-state-study-proves-hangry-is-a-real-emotion
    Hahaha trust me if you wanna see hangry, just talk to me on an extremely hangry day ;)
    I really have to get this planning organised!! Do you have a food diary or anything like that?
  • paulahope2
    Options
    paulahope2 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Your profile says you have about 20lbs to lose. What is your target rate of weight loss, and how many calories are you trying to hit each day?

Don't have an aggressive goal, eat at a moderate deficit, which will help you feel more satisfied with your eating habits every day, which can lead to better adherence long term.

Calorie goal is currently 1600 but I'll admit I rarely hit it as I said I feel full during the day.. It's the night that's really my problem.. My target rate is 0.5kg a week (not sure what it is in lb)
    The problem my also be rarely hitting my calorie target and then exercising on top of that?

If you aren't hitting your calorie goal, perhaps you could take the calories that are leftover and plan a small bedtime snack every night. I've been eating dinner pretty late for the past few months because of my husband's work schedule, but I used to always have a snack between dinner and bedtime.

Edited to add: I like the idea of popcorn. I usually had popcorn, or an apple with peanut butter, or a couple of pieces of string cheese, a piece of fruit, something along those lines.

Yeah I think I may incorporate that into my plan!! Fitness isn't easy to achieve you literally have t make it a lifestyle!! Snacks are great just have to remember to have more of them!!
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sdado1013 wrote: »
    Also spreading out your meals by having snacks throughout the day can help to curb the hunger.

Usually throughout the day I'm satisfied and feel like I've ate enough.. But then at night time I'm starving again.. :/ any snacks you can suggest? Or an eating plan?

my nutritionist gave me a plan that includes an AM snack with carb a veggie and a fruit and a PM snack with a protein carb and fruit
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? MFP is designed to build a deficit already, so when you exercise, you "earn" additional calories. I'd try eating back half of them (MFP tends to overestimate burns).

And while you are full during the day, you're hungry at night, so you aren't remaining full all day. Others have given good suggestions of eating foods that are satiating. I'd also recommend that since you typically have at least some calories remaining at the end of the day, have a snack before you go to bed. Work it into your calories. Meal timing doesn't matter, so there isn't a drawback if it allows you to sleep without worrying about food.

No I rarely eat back the calories I've burned.. Probably never actually.. I have a lot of planning to do! Thanks for all your help!! Sometimes it feels like another thing I have to worry about on top of everything else!! I know I shouldn't feel like that but somedays it's very difficult to stay motivated!! It's good to know there are still people out there willing to help others :)

Trust me, it gets easier when you fuel your body properly. You're likely feeling bad and so focused on food because you aren't giving it enough fuel for your activity level.

And once you figure out a routine, adding in a typical snack is super easy. It does get better.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I save myself from hanger with planned meals and always having something within reach should the hanger arise. The hanger is at its worst for me when I don't plan and I let myself get too hungry.

P.S. Getting hangry is a real thing! At least in this study :wink: http://www.nbc4i.com/story/25255682/ohio-state-study-proves-hangry-is-a-real-emotion
    Hahaha trust me if you wanna see hangry, just talk to me on an extremely hangry day ;)
    I really have to get this planning organised!! Do you have a food diary or anything like that?

I use the MFP diary. I sometimes log foods for the next day in advance.

I'm a big planner. I get random fruits and vegetables every 2 weeks from my co-op (totally recommend if you like eating new foods but wouldn't normally pick up, say, a spaghetti squash...it makes me try more vegetables out). Then I search recipes online for the stuff I get, make a list, go shopping, and make a general plan of when I'm going to make what. It's not really a burden because I know it helps me make the most of the food I buy and keeps me from getting hangry. I don't know about y'all but if I'm hangry, I'm also simultaneously uninterested in every food that exists. I'm super hungry but don't want anything...wah wah wah.
  • paulahope2
    Options
    Also spreading out your meals by having snacks throughout the day can help to curb the hunger.

Usually throughout the day I'm satisfied and feel like I've ate enough.. But then at night time I'm starving again.. :/ any snacks you can suggest? Or an eating plan?

my nutritionist gave me a plan that includes an AM snack with carb a veggie and a fruit and a PM snack with a protein carb and fruit

Oh okay.. So would your typical day be 3 meals and 3 snacks?
  • paulahope2
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? MFP is designed to build a deficit already, so when you exercise, you "earn" additional calories. I'd try eating back half of them (MFP tends to overestimate burns).

And while you are full during the day, you're hungry at night, so you aren't remaining full all day. Others have given good suggestions of eating foods that are satiating. I'd also recommend that since you typically have at least some calories remaining at the end of the day, have a snack before you go to bed. Work it into your calories. Meal timing doesn't matter, so there isn't a drawback if it allows you to sleep without worrying about food.

No I rarely eat back the calories I've burned.. Probably never actually.. I have a lot of planning to do! Thanks for all your help!! Sometimes it feels like another thing I have to worry about on top of everything else!! I know I shouldn't feel like that but somedays it's very difficult to stay motivated!! It's good to know there are still people out there willing to help others :)

Trust me, it gets easier when you fuel your body properly. You're likely feeling bad and so focused on food because you aren't giving it enough fuel for your activity level.

And once you figure out a routine, adding in a typical snack is super easy. It does get better.

Yeah sometimes I feel guilty eating as much as I used to because it's what made me gain weight in the first place.. Gotta snap into it and get a healthy mid set!! As long as exercise is incorporated I should be fine :)
  • paulahope2
    Options

I use the MFP diary. I sometimes log foods for the next day in advance.

I'm a big planner. I get random fruits and vegetables every 2 weeks from my co-op (totally recommend if you like eating new foods but wouldn't normally pick up, say, a spaghetti squash...it makes me try more vegetables out). Then I search recipes online for the stuff I get, make a list, go shopping, and make a general plan of when I'm going to make what. It's not really a burden because I know it helps me make the most of the food I buy and keeps me from getting hangry. I don't know about y'all but if I'm hangry, I'm also simultaneously uninterested in every food that exists. I'm super hungry but don't want anything...wah wah wah.

Hahahaha!!! I know exactly what you mean.. When you hangry there is nothing food can do for you anymore!! You're so hungry that you feel sick so you become miss cranky pants!! I'll stick to the planning like yourself so the hangry monster no longer gets released into the world :P
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I will confess...I am a beast of a person if I don't eat. I am a grazer so I plan my day with breakfast, lunch and dinner also to include AM snack and PM snack. I make sure I stay within my calories but I am eating all day everyday!

For example morning snack apple and babybel cheese or peanut butter and afternoon snack is carrots and grape tomatoes with a snack bar. Oh and a tooties roll pop or York pepermint patty (I have one of those daily).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I understand being hungry but why be angry about it? If you're so hungry you can't sleep, eat something! You're in charge. Anger is for the helpless. One 100 calorie snack isn't going to break your diet unless you choose to live in a world of black and white. :)
  • paulahope2
    Options
    I will confess...I am a beast of a person if I don't eat. I am a grazer so I plan my day with breakfast, lunch and dinner also to include AM snack and PM snack. I make sure I stay within my calories but I am eating all day everyday!

For example morning snack apple and babybel cheese or peanut butter and afternoon snack is carrots and grape tomatoes with a snack bar. Oh and a tooties roll pop or York pepermint patty (I have one of those daily).

Ohhhhhh man your post literally made me salivate!! You're speaking right to my cravings sister!! So really the trick is to eat more (healthish foods) and be active??
  • paulahope2
    Options
    I understand being hungry but why be angry about it? If you're so hungry you can't sleep, eat something! You're in charge. Anger is for the helpless. One 100 calorie snack isn't going to break your diet unless you choose to live in a world of black and white. :)
    I don't know what it is.. I think I'm like no Paula have some will power woman!! (Yes I did just refer to myself in 3rd person) hahaha!! So I try and hold off than BOOM hangry!! So then I don't want any food.. It's a really hard process!! Also in a way my job has trained me to withhold food from my system as somedays I don't get a proper break.. And then the flood gates to ravenous binge eating open up! My tummy just hates me let's face it :P but I'll take your advice and eat!! :)
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I'll second the recommendation to eat back a portion of your exercise calories. I get hangry and set myself up for a binge when I restrict too much. It doesn't feel right to me to be losing weight and not hungry all the time, but it does work for me.
  • paulahope2
    Options
    I'll second the recommendation to eat back a portion of your exercise calories. I get hangry and set myself up for a binge when I restrict too much. It doesn't feel right to me to be losing weight and not hungry all the time, but it does work for me.

Okay I'll start eating more and see how it works :) everyone has been a massive help tonight :)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Ohhhhhh man your post literally made me salivate!! You're speaking right to my cravings sister!! So really the trick is to eat more (healthish foods) and be active??

I have found that works best for me. I plan my meals accordingly so I can eat through out the day. I just like to eat. HAA! I think that is what got me in trouble in the first place. I didn't really get portion control before but with logging my food that has taught me a lot about it.

I do have workouts planned each day but I don't eat back about of those calories since I have already planned my food to fit within the daily allowed. Of course some days I will use them if we are planning on pizza night or wings & beer. I mean I girl has to live. ;)
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options

She's not angry that she's hungry. She's hangry. It's like a mood swing some people get when their blood sugar gets too low.
  • paulahope2
    Options

I have found that works best for me. I plan my meals accordingly so I can eat through out the day. I just like to eat. HAA! I think that is what got me in trouble in the first place. I didn't really get portion control before but with logging my food that has taught me a lot about it.

I do have workouts planned each day but I don't eat back about of those calories since I have already planned my food to fit within the daily allowed. Of course some days I will use them if we are planning on pizza night or wings & beer. I mean I girl has to live. ;)

Haha we are only human after all!! Give me ribs dripping with bbq sauce every night and I'd be the happiest girl in the world!!
    I just really have to stop winging it and plan better!! Let's face it I'm a grazer aswell ;)
  • paulahope2
    Options

She's not angry that she's hungry. She's hangry. It's like a mood swing some people get when their blood sugar gets too low.

You know the song I want candy?
    I have changed the words to " all I know is that I'm hangry" it's real catchy once you get the hang of it.. Normally flips my mood around.. Unless someone else songs it to me haha
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also get hungry in the evening. I try hard to save enough calories for a bowl of greek yogurt with blueberries and walnuts to have in the evening. I add a little erythritol (a sugar-alcohol type sweetener). This planned snack usually takes the edge off. Greek yogurt has 24 grams of protein per cup. The nuts also help to keep you full.

Hope this helps!

• paulahope2
    Options
    Hi, I also get hungry in the evening. I try hard to save enough calories for a bowl of greek yogurt with blueberries and walnuts to have in the evening. I add a little erythritol (a sugar-alcohol type sweetener). This planned snack usually takes the edge off. Greek yogurt has 24 grams of protein per cup. The nuts also help to keep you full.

Hope this helps!

Yummmmmmmmm!! Greek yogurt is scrumdidilyumcious!! And man I do love blueberries.. I'm not sure where you're from but atm here in Australia we steering clear from berries for awhile as there was a health scare with berries that get imported to us:/ what type of nuts do you recommend??