Help!! I'm Hangry!!

Replies

• I will confess...I am a beast of a person if I don't eat. I am a grazer so I plan my day with breakfast, lunch and dinner also to include AM snack and PM snack. I make sure I stay within my calories but I am eating all day everyday!

For example morning snack apple and babybel cheese or peanut butter and afternoon snack is carrots and grape tomatoes with a snack bar. Oh and a tooties roll pop or York pepermint patty (I have one of those daily).

Ohhhhhh man your post literally made me salivate!! You're speaking right to my cravings sister!! So really the trick is to eat more (healthish foods) and be active??
  • I understand being hungry but why be angry about it? If you're so hungry you can't sleep, eat something! You're in charge. Anger is for the helpless. One 100 calorie snack isn't going to break your diet unless you choose to live in a world of black and white. :)
    I don't know what it is.. I think I'm like no Paula have some will power woman!! (Yes I did just refer to myself in 3rd person) hahaha!! So I try and hold off than BOOM hangry!! So then I don't want any food.. It's a really hard process!! Also in a way my job has trained me to withhold food from my system as somedays I don't get a proper break.. And then the flood gates to ravenous binge eating open up! My tummy just hates me let's face it :P but I'll take your advice and eat!! :)
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    I'll second the recommendation to eat back a portion of your exercise calories. I get hangry and set myself up for a binge when I restrict too much. It doesn't feel right to me to be losing weight and not hungry all the time, but it does work for me.
  • I'll second the recommendation to eat back a portion of your exercise calories. I get hangry and set myself up for a binge when I restrict too much. It doesn't feel right to me to be losing weight and not hungry all the time, but it does work for me.

Okay I'll start eating more and see how it works :) everyone has been a massive help tonight :)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    paulahope2 wrote: »
    I will confess...I am a beast of a person if I don't eat. I am a grazer so I plan my day with breakfast, lunch and dinner also to include AM snack and PM snack. I make sure I stay within my calories but I am eating all day everyday!

For example morning snack apple and babybel cheese or peanut butter and afternoon snack is carrots and grape tomatoes with a snack bar. Oh and a tooties roll pop or York pepermint patty (I have one of those daily).

Ohhhhhh man your post literally made me salivate!! You're speaking right to my cravings sister!! So really the trick is to eat more (healthish foods) and be active??

I have found that works best for me. I plan my meals accordingly so I can eat through out the day. I just like to eat. HAA! I think that is what got me in trouble in the first place. I didn't really get portion control before but with logging my food that has taught me a lot about it.

I do have workouts planned each day but I don't eat back about of those calories since I have already planned my food to fit within the daily allowed. Of course some days I will use them if we are planning on pizza night or wings & beer. I mean I girl has to live. ;)
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    I understand being hungry but why be angry about it? If you're so hungry you can't sleep, eat something! You're in charge. Anger is for the helpless. One 100 calorie snack isn't going to break your diet unless you choose to live in a world of black and white. :)
    I understand being hungry but why be angry about it? If you're so hungry you can't sleep, eat something! You're in charge. Anger is for the helpless. One 100 calorie snack isn't going to break your diet unless you choose to live in a world of black and white. :)

She's not angry that she's hungry. She's hangry. It's like a mood swing some people get when their blood sugar gets too low.
  • paulahope2 wrote: »
    I will confess...I am a beast of a person if I don't eat. I am a grazer so I plan my day with breakfast, lunch and dinner also to include AM snack and PM snack. I make sure I stay within my calories but I am eating all day everyday!

I have found that works best for me. I plan my meals accordingly so I can eat through out the day. I just like to eat. HAA! I think that is what got me in trouble in the first place. I didn't really get portion control before but with logging my food that has taught me a lot about it.

I do have workouts planned each day but I don't eat back about of those calories since I have already planned my food to fit within the daily allowed. Of course some days I will use them if we are planning on pizza night or wings & beer. I mean I girl has to live. ;)

Haha we are only human after all!! Give me ribs dripping with bbq sauce every night and I'd be the happiest girl in the world!!
    I just really have to stop winging it and plan better!! Let's face it I'm a grazer aswell ;)
  • fevrale wrote: »

She's not angry that she's hungry. She's hangry. It's like a mood swing some people get when their blood sugar gets too low.

You know the song I want candy?
    I have changed the words to " all I know is that I'm hangry" it's real catchy once you get the hang of it.. Normally flips my mood around.. Unless someone else songs it to me haha
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Hi, I also get hungry in the evening. I try hard to save enough calories for a bowl of greek yogurt with blueberries and walnuts to have in the evening. I add a little erythritol (a sugar-alcohol type sweetener). This planned snack usually takes the edge off. Greek yogurt has 24 grams of protein per cup. The nuts also help to keep you full.

Hope this helps!

• Hi, I also get hungry in the evening. I try hard to save enough calories for a bowl of greek yogurt with blueberries and walnuts to have in the evening. I add a little erythritol (a sugar-alcohol type sweetener). This planned snack usually takes the edge off. Greek yogurt has 24 grams of protein per cup. The nuts also help to keep you full.

Hope this helps!

Yummmmmmmmm!! Greek yogurt is scrumdidilyumcious!! And man I do love blueberries.. I'm not sure where you're from but atm here in Australia we steering clear from berries for awhile as there was a health scare with berries that get imported to us:/ what type of nuts do you recommend??
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Think about switching up the times you eat as well. If you aren't hungry in the morning, you don't have to eat breakfast at all - doesn't matter. You can use those calories later for your night time snack. That's what I do. I typically feel more hungry in the evenings, so I eat lightly throughout the day and have a large dinner still within my goals (most days ;) ). Make it work for you!
  • Think about switching up the times you eat as well. If you aren't hungry in the morning, you don't have to eat breakfast at all - doesn't matter. You can use those calories later for your night time snack. That's what I do. I typically feel more hungry in the evenings, so I eat lightly throughout the day and have a large dinner still within my goals (most days ;) ). Make it work for you!

Ahhhhhhh I like your thinking!!! Yeah if I eat in the morning it tends to make me feel sick.. Especially before work at around 5:30 am kills me!! That is advice I will definitely be taking on board :D
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Save up a few extra calories and hit 1600 at night. I get hungriest in the evening, too. And I'm downright hangry before dinner if I don't have a snack.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    I usually have 7 grams of walnuts or almonds, which I actually measure. You could use any fruit you like. I have had yogurt with apples and sunflower seeds which is really awesome.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Do be sure to get enough protein. The amount MFP recommended for me was about 1/2 of what I actually needed. Higher protein intake does help retain muscle mass when eating in a deficit. 1 g/lb lean body mass is recommended.
  • Save up a few extra calories and hit 1600 at night. I get hungriest in the evening, too. And I'm downright hangry before dinner if I don't have a snack.

Yeah I'll have to start doing the whole night snack thing!! I also think I need to teach everyone my hangry song!
  • Save up a few extra calories and hit 1600 at night. I get hungriest in the evening, too. And I'm downright hangry before dinner if I don't have a snack.

Yeah I'll have to start doing the whole night snack thing!! I also think I need to teach everyone my hangry song!
    I usually have 7 grams of walnuts or almonds, which I actually measure. You could use any fruit you like. I have had yogurt with apples and sunflower seeds which is really awesome.

Yummy!!! I think I'm gunna have to steal your snack idea!! Sounds delicious!! :D
  • kyta32 wrote: »
    Do be sure to get enough protein. The amount MFP recommended for me was about 1/2 of what I actually needed. Higher protein intake does help retain muscle mass when eating in a deficit. 1 g/lb lean body mass is recommended.

Do you get all your protein sources through food or those horrid shakes?? I really can't get past the taste of the shakes :/ what proteins do you normally consume a day of you don't mind me asking?
  • sarbear112084
    sarbear112084 Posts: 19 Member
    If you are actually hungry then don't ignore it and eat a piece of fruit or something, homemade lowfat popcorn, or even a piece of bread with peanut butter. Allow yourself 1 evening/night time snack of 100-150 calories. Or chew gum or suck on a piece of regular or sugar free hard candy. That helps me alot
  • If you are actually hungry then don't ignore it and eat a piece of fruit or something, homemade lowfat popcorn, or even a piece of bread with peanut butter. Allow yourself 1 evening/night time snack of 100-150 calories. Or chew gum or suck on a piece of regular or sugar free hard candy. That helps me alot

Mmmm can't even remember the last time I had candy!! There's a lot I need to change!! Thanks everyone for all your help :)
  • Expat4Life
    Expat4Life Posts: 154 Member
    I could no agree more, I am STARVING! I think the first couple of weeks are really tough - our bodies are not used to being told they can't eat whatever they want. We can get through this!!
  • Steinach wrote: »
    I could no agree more, I am STARVING! I think the first couple of weeks are really tough - our bodies are not used to being told they can't eat whatever they want. We can get through this!!

I agree 100000000% Yes we CAN get through this!! I really think I need to made a help I'm hangry group hahaha!! I thought hangry just applied to me lolz :P
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    I can totally relate to the "getting hangry" thing :D I found that eating five or six small meals/snacks throughout the day puts a lid on the hunger.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    If you are actually hungry then don't ignore it and eat a piece of fruit or something, homemade lowfat popcorn, or even a piece of bread with peanut butter. Allow yourself 1 evening/night time snack of 100-150 calories. Or chew gum or suck on a piece of regular or sugar free hard candy. That helps me alot

My "dinner" is actually 1 meal and 2 snacks over 3 hours. Planning for it helps a lot.
  • penneysfit wrote: »
    I can totally relate to the "getting hangry" thing :D I found that eating five or six small meals/snacks throughout the day puts a lid on the hunger.
    sofaking6 wrote: »

My "dinner" is actually 1 meal and 2 snacks over 3 hours. Planning for it helps a lot.

I'm so excited I get to eat snacks again!! I don't think anyone truly understand how excited I am!! :D
  • roomies97
    roomies97 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2015
    mistake
  • mmonaghan99
    mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
    I'm having the same issue. Even though I'm eating reasonable amounts, I'm getting really hungry all the time! This is my first week and I think part of the issue is that I'm thinking about food all the time, so I'm trying not to obsess. Doing something with my hands is helpful. And if I really just need to munch, popcorn is my best friend. My bf and I are doing this together, which is really helpful, and we do meal planning for dinners every night and keep healthy lunch stuff around.
    Basically, I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I think it's pretty normal. If you need to snack, find some things you like that are filling and low cal. I like popcorn, salads with low cal dressing, fruit, and cucumber slices with a teeny bit of cream cheese on them (it's like a cucumber sandwich without the bread!). I also eat double or triple servings of steamed veggies, it helps me feel fuller without loading up on too many extra carbs. I log in daily if you want to friend me, support buddies are always nice!

Phew so it's not just me! Mmmm popcorn! Do you eat organic or regular popcorn? The cucumber and cream cheese sandwich sound nice too!! I think the problem is I don't have a buddy.. I either have real fit athletic friends or those friends who don't really want to listen to your problems but they talk about their own all day if you get what I mean? I'm the listener haha!!
    Plus I don't want to burden my boyfriend with all this as he is doing his masters this year and he's under a lot of stress!! I may do what you've been doing and plan my meals out!! How long does it take you to do a meal plan normally?

I'm getting my master's right now so I get the stress! I do regular popcorn, the light butter kind. And we don't spend a ton of time meal planning. He and I are both pretty good cooks (not to sound stuck up) and we have several meals we tend to rotate frequently, and then some we do less often. Last night he made turkey sausage sauteed with peppers and we had it over rice with some green beans. We usually plan about 5 days worth of dinners, and then take turns cooking. We do a lot of chicken & rice, stroganoff (with light sour cream & light cream of mushroom), whole grain spaghetti, baked fish, things like that. We normally ate healthy dinners, we have just had to make some swaps, like lower fat condiments, and we've had to do more portion control. My suggestion is to pick things that you can fix easily, and do as much prep ahead of time as possible (e.g. chop veggies ahead of time). But making a schedule has helped us immensely. We don't end up waiting till 8pm and ordering pizza because we didn't get stuff for dinner ahead of time.
    And on gym nights we use the crockpot. I love my crockpot, it's so great!

The stress of study is horrible!! Goodluck with your masters by the way :)
    I see what you mean!! When I used to eat pasta if go back for 2nds sometimes 3rds.. And man do I love my sauce on EVERYTHING!!!! Crockpots are great aren't they!! Best invention ever!! What does whole grain pasta taste like?

I like whole grain pasta! It's a bit less tender than regular pasta, so I tend to overcook it a little (same with brown rice). It tastes fine though, not exactly the same as typical pasta but it is really good and it has lots more fiber. Try it sometime! We almost always do whole grain, although the bf can't completely give up his white rice so we alternate. Think of the switch as being kind of like going from eating white bread to wheat. It's a similar experience.
  • Personally I am really busy throughout the day at my office job so I don't find any problem eating healthy then... but I WANT to come home and have a big satisfying dinner. So how I do it is I eat 400-500 calories at work and then go to the rec center and burn off 200 of those calories. Then I can come home and eat 800-900 calories. I normally have a 100 snack at 5 on my way home. 500-600 calorie meal. And then before bed I'll eat a 200 snack and it always pans out perfect for me. I always feel satisfied. Right now. That's 1200. I also have found a huge hint for success is this:

i found a little trick that helps me stay on track on my "SUPER HUNGRY--- WANT TO EAT EVERYTHING IS SIGHT" modes. I use myfitnesspal and type in everything I want to eat at work before i eat it. Like today I wanted coffee (30 calories), oatmeal (130 calories), Protein shake w strawberries (127 calories (actually didn't want but needed protein), Ruffles Cheddar and Sour cream chips (160), and Lemon Temptation snack (80 calories). I plugged it all in and it was 527 calories. Now typically if eat about 400 calories top during the day and then a 200 calorie snack when I get home and a 400 dinner and 100-200 snack before bed. But I am super hungry so I entered all of it in my log now so I knew how much I HAD TO burn on the elliptical for how much dinner I want. So when I go to the gym I know I have to push at least that hard. smile emoticon So seeing it all laid out for me makes me keep an idea of how much I will eat and that I can't get off track!! Also makes sure I push myself enough at gym. I ended up taking part of the food out because I realized I didn't even need it.
  • Cut way back or eliminate the carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.) They tend to make your blood sugar go up fast, thus causing insulin to rise, which leads to a drop in blood glucose, causing hunger and irritability. Go with vegetables (non-starchy ones) and low cal fruits, like strawberries or an apple. More protein, and a add in a bit more fat, in the form of olive oil, or butter, or cheese - nothing satisfies like a bit of fat. Drink a lot of water. At night, go with a cup of decaf or herbal tea to occupy your mouth while you study, and fill you and warm you up while you're sitting still studying.

Honestly, after you cut out the carbs, you will feel much, much better, and quickly! I've found that even using brown rice, steel cut oats, and whole wheat bread just doesn't help much. If it's concentrated carb, I seem to get hungrier and crankier later on. If you really need the carbs, garbanzos are relatively high in protein, and have a low glycemic index, so adding them to a meal might satisfy that carb crave without causing such "hangriness" later on.
  • roomies97 wrote: »
    mistake
    What was the mistake??