What do you do when someone gives you diet advice (that you never asked for) you disagree with?

Options

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Just

200w.gif

And say ...

200w.gif

• DEJAnoVU
    DEJAnoVU Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Depends on who it is and if the advice is warranted.
    I had a very good friend who is health conscious tell me I should never eat out, stop eating sugar, and avoid all sodium.
    She truly believed any weight I've lost so far(17pounds) is water weight because I've been doing all 3.

At first I disagreed, but she literally wouldn't shut up until I agreed.
    Take the easy route and just smile and nod.
  • Greenbomb
    Greenbomb Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It depends...if it's something crazy or unhealty I might disagree. But if it's just something like "don't eat gluten! gluten is bad!!!" then I say I'm glad that works for you.
  • DEJAnoVU
    DEJAnoVU Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's worse when you live with someone who always suggestion food advice.
    My boyfriend literally gives me unsolicited advice every time I cook something.
    I'm not as nice to him though
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I find it odd when someone asks how much weight I have lost (as most people know I am looking to lose 100lbs) and I will say "92lbs" and then they go on some rant about how lemon water "melts fat" and how they knew someone who has lost 10lbs doing that.

I just keep my mouth shut, I do not agree nor disagree then I duck out of the conversation asap.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Okay and then I change the subject.

If it's a certain person that I'd like to drop from my life but am unable to, I'll ask how it's been working out for them or correct them.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nobody really does, actually. My friends and family know I'm a dietetics major and a fitness fanatic, so they're usually the ones coming to me.

How do I respond when they ask asinine questions about Atkins, cleanses, smoothies, and "but Dr. Oz said...", though?

31157-Sweet-Dee-NO-gif--Its-Always-S-EYGJ.gif
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Say "let me know how that works for you."
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I just nod my head. Maybe respond with ya, cool, hmmmm, ok. I'm also totally day dreaming during it too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod.
    Two southern ladies joke.
    The flood of misinformation out there, what, could fill the Pacific several times over? It's more satisfying to demonstrate your knowledge than to talk about it.

Then if the armchair experts ask for your secret, tell them it was a fluke.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oh, another one I used a lot, especially if I'm trying to be kind, is to tell them that it is nice but it would not work for me. Then I would list one of my medical conditions and that usually shut them up.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Another one! "I am glad that is working for you."
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Boop their nose.
    I am totally going to do that next time. Haha!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I say..."that's actually BS".
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

BS standing for BroScience naturally ;-)
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    smile and nod or tell them your opinion?
    I'm basically tired of people saying "You HAVE to eat before 6 in order to lose weight" or "drink only warm water or drink only cold water" or "clean eating is the only way to lose weight" Or "eating 5-6 small meals a day is the way to go".
    Obviously I believe in CICO, iifym. I guess I get annoyed because I don't ask for advice and people give it to me. What do you do?! Am I just being cranky?!

I knock it on the head by treating it as an opportunity to overshare about my health issues and weight loss journey. Down to the last boring detail. No one who has gone through this once has ever come back for a second dose. Just keep talking until you see the unshed tears brimming and you're done.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    smile and nod or tell them your opinion?
    I'm basically tired of people saying "You HAVE to eat before 6 in order to lose weight" or "drink only warm water or drink only cold water" or "clean eating is the only way to lose weight" Or "eating 5-6 small meals a day is the way to go".
    Obviously I believe in CICO, iifym. I guess I get annoyed because I don't ask for advice and people give it to me. What do you do?! Am I just being cranky?!
    This doesn't really ever happen to me unless we are specifically talking about losing weight, or diet in general.

But if it did, I think I would just say "thanks for the advice." Or perhaps "what I'm doing now is working, but maybe I'll give that a try if I get stuck." If all else fails, I would just smile and nod.

Honestly, most people are just trying to be helpful when they offer unsolicited advice on any topic. I see no reason to get offended or be confrontational about it.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

BS standing for BroScience naturally ;-)

Bah! Post lost my replies. Can't be bothered to do again.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I only ever get unsolicited advice on the internet (when you start to lose weight, you realize that everyone is a fitness expert). Mostly from my beach body coach friends. I just thank them and move on.

I think it doesn't happen to me in real life because I have a really epic resting b*tch face.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well, no one has given me unsolicited weight loss advice.
    I'd most likey say okay or that's interesting and ignore them.
    If someone was nagging me to eat a salad or eat 6 times a day repeatedly I'd probably have to tell them that I have a sensible plan that works for me, it is none of their business and change the subject/leave.