Exclusively Breastfeeding Mothers

Options
keriannhb
keriannhb Posts: 6 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
I am looking for exclusively breastfeeding mothers for support. :D
I gained 50 lbs during my pregnancy, and have, so far, lost 30 lbs of it in the 16 weeks since delivery. I still have a ways to go to get to my pre pregnancy weight. But I do not plan to stop there! I'd like to loose 50 more! I just need support and guidance along the way.

Replies

• Ashleyhap
    Options
    Hey! I just started working out and eating better and trying to stick to 1800 cal when I don't work out and 2200 or less when I do. If I cut my calories too much I start to lose my milk supply. My baby is 4 months old and exclusively breastfed. I've lost 35 since she was born (most of it right away she was 9#5oz!!!
  • Ashleyhap
    Options
    I don't know why half of my comment got cut. Anyways, I have 50 more pounds to lose to get to my ultimate goal weight. We can do this! I'll add you
  • keriannhb
    Options
    Thanks @Ashleyhap‌ We have a lot in common! :)
    Do you pump on a daily basis? I do not..it's such a chore..so I do not even know if my supply is up or down on calorie deficient days?!
  • Ashleyhap
    Options
    I don't pump at all... I know from experience with my first child. Anytime I cut calories I began to dry up and my son would never get full. Turns out I was dropping too many calories. I saw your question "does anyone know the rules for calorie intake?" My friend who is a fitness fanatic and a fellow breastfeeder said to do 1800 on days you don't workout and 2200 on days you do. I also read on kellymom.com (I think) about the 1800 calories. And make sure and drink tons of water to flush your toxins and keep supply up ;) good luck mama!
  • Ashleyhap
    Options
    Remember we burn between 300 and 500 calories a day when breastfeeding! ;)
  • kristinrayerootes
    kristinrayerootes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I am going to add you both as friends for support, if you don't mind. I too have a 3 month old and need to lose 50-70 pounds. I feel like I have such a long journey ahead, but know it is doable using MFP if I just keep on it. I lost that much after my second baby and need to do it again now.
  • bethi90
    bethi90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!! I am exclusively breastfeeding my 4-month-old son, and could definitely use the support of a few understanding mommies. I've lost 25-30lbs so far, but most of that was right at the beginning. Now I need to get off my lazy bum and lose the rest! I have about 40lbs to go to reach my ultimate goal weight (20 to reach pre-pregnancy weight).
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i'm still nursing my 2 and a half year old. Great job mamas!!! The weight takes a while. I only gained like 17 pounds with my baby but was heavy before hand, I lost that weight really fast and then got stuck and started MFP and have lost about 27 pounds...still working on about 15 more.

I used to stick with at least 1800 calories, so it was 1300 plus 500 for breastfeeding, and then if I exercised I ate back ALL my calories. Nursing is pretty much the only time in our lives we can eat a ton and gain very little weight.

now that my baby is pretty much a kid and isn't solely surviving on me for sustenance I eat 1500 something and then eat back my exercise calories, but I have a hard time staying in my limits...

• keriannhb
    Options
  • keriannhb
    Options
    So I was thinking....
    If I set up an "exercise" for "breastfeeding", and log that in each day; would that work as far as my burned calorie number?
    Thoughts on how you log that 300/500 burn each day please?
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    search for it and add it as a food, its a negative amount. you can look on my diary, i think i logged calories for today for breastfeeding, should be listed under snack.
  • keriannhb
    Options
    Thanks @veganbettie‌ !
  • chelseymyfit
    Options
    Hi ladies! I have a 8 week old in exclusively breast feeding. I've lost 34 lbs since I had him, (now 14 lbs under pre-pregnancy weight) and i want to lose about 100 more lbs. I'm looking for serious support :) i just started today, and I ate about 1600 cals and worked out. I have gallstones so I'm very limited to what I can eat without pain, so trying to keep my fat intake on a healthy range while breastfeeding has been my biggest challenge.
  • chelseymyfit
    Options
    Oh, and anyone can feel free to add me :)
  • surya_v
    surya_v Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My baby is 2 months old and I'm exclusively breastfeeding as well. Glad to see a thread dedicated to us.@keriannhb - I log the breastfeeding calories under exercise so it gets counted as well :wink: I was overweight pre pregnancy and gained about 20 pounds , now left behind with 5 pounds in excess of my pre- pregnancy weight. Am looking to lose around 25 pounds minimum. Hoping to get some friends on this journey!
  • mikhsh
    mikhsh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am not EBF'ing anymore, but my 9mo BF's alllll the time and is currently refusing most food as she is teething. I have only lost 10 lbs since I had her and she was 8lbs of that lol. But I am not surprised, this happened with my other two and I didn't end up losing weight until I stopped breast feeding with them, so I must be some sort of anomaly. I just started with MFP and would love some BF'ing momma friends on here! Feel free to add me as I don't even know how to do that yet, have been completely in the diary section until today! :)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my little girl just hit her year. She's still breastfeeding, but she also eats anything and everything else put in front of her, so definitely not exclusive anymore. I logged breastfeeding as a negative food, but started decreasing what I was counting for bfing calories by about 100 each month and stopped logging it all together when she hit her year on Monday. The baby weight is all gone, and I'm back to weightlifting.

<<<Little one helps with the lifting, lol.
  • Ashleyhap
    Options
    I don't log the breastfeeding because then it subtracts from my calories meaning I can eat more calories. I know I'm aiming for 1800 cal so I just shoot for that
  • Mistydawn315
    Options
    Hi! I'm exclusively pumping for my almost 3 month old. After having her I lost almost 30 after gaining 18 during pregnancy. I've since gained some back. Ughh. So I'm now where I was pre pregnancy but I'm still very overweight. All I want to do is EAT! I did the same with my first child.
  • sewsimplysarah
    Options
    I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 6 month old. Pumping while at work. I'm back down below my pregnancy weight & having difficulty keeping weight on while eating healthy. I'm adding 500 calories a day to compensate but I'm finding if I don't track closely & push myself to eat more I don't eat enough, especially when I'm working out. Anyone else have this problem? So far supply hasn't been an issue. I just don't want to lose anymore and am trying to tone up. Pregnancy depleted my muscle gains.