Anyone dealing with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and trying to lose weight?

Options
I was diagnosed with PCOS in December 2013 but have been dealing with it since I was probably about 18 (I am now 34). Anyone with PCOS knows how easy it is to put on weight but how extremely hard it is to lose weight. I would love to be friends with other PCOS women, together we can support and relate to each other!!

Replies

• Aka8941
    Aka8941 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    me me!!! let's be friends. losing weight is so freaking hard, but I know I can do it. I cycle weight anywhere from 5 to 60 pounds. I have a bit of a binge eating problem as well, and the only thing that works for me is strictly staying at 1200 cals a day and working out every...single..day. only way to lose weight for me but keeping up that consistency is so hard.
  • Annette_906
    Annette_906 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    And friends we shall be!!!
  • Annette_906
    Options
    I wrote more but it seems it never posted. Weight loss with PCOS is extremely tough but hopefully we can help/lean on each other
  • Candy2034
    Candy2034 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been dealing with pcos since I was in my teens. I'm 53 yo and it has been a struggle my whole life to lose weight. I'm not going to get dudc
  • Candy2034
    Candy2034 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sry touched the wrong button and it sent my post typos included :). What I was trying to say is I know we can lose the weight! I won't get discouraged this time.
  • hboyce515
    Options
    I have PCOS too and my daughter has it ten times worse then me. Add me!!
  • pickelang
    Options
    I have it. When I was diagnosed my tester one was 1000. Dealt with problems. Have diabetes. I am going to weight management and the started me on a new weight loss med Contrave. I highly recommend it. It has been awesome and I am losing weight and sugars are back in line.
  • megandhight
    megandhight Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Me! I was diagnosed just over 2 years ago. I lost some weigh with met but I couldn't take the side effects and gained even more when I went off of it. I'm trying to lose 30lbs. Add me for support :)
  • Annette_906
    Options
    hboyce515 wrote: »
    I have PCOS too and my daughter has it ten times worse then me. Add me!!

Looks like we're already friends
  • Annette_906
    Options
    Anyone else have a problem with dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt) it makes me extremely bloated so I try to stay away from it and I feel so much better when I haven't had any in awhile.
  • megandhight
    Options
    I'm always bloated and I'm not sure it that's it or not. I don't think I'm willing to give them up to find out lol
  • Annette_906
    Options
    I'm always bloated and I'm not sure it that's it or not. I don't think I'm willing to give them up to find out lol

I was the same way at first but I first slowly cut out milk (I used to drink a ton of milk) and I felt less bloated right away, cutting it out was well worth it! I only eat cheese once in a while and luckily I don't like yogurt, so not eating it isn't too hard but it is hard to make a good smoothie without milk or yogurt.
  • megandhight
    Options

I was the same way at first but I first slowly cut out milk (I used to drink a ton of milk) and I felt less bloated right away, cutting it out was well worth it! I only eat cheese once in a while and luckily I don't like yogurt, so not eating it isn't too hard but it is hard to make a good smoothie without milk or yogurt.

I'm not a big milk drinker but I love cheese and yogurt. Especially since I just discovered the wonders or laughing cow cheese. Lol I definitely give you props for managing to cut out milk products.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was about 20 I guess? I'm 36 now - it's not awesome, but it's possible to lose weight. I was up to 235 (I'm 5'7.5") at my highest (post-babies) and I'm 174 now. Another 30 pounds to go...you can do it, with or without PCOS - you just have to be willing to try. I've found that the longer I go making healthy choices the easier it gets to lose the weight. I'm lifting now, so I'm stalled on losses kind of - but inches are going away and it's an excellent outlet :) Good luck!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Oh - and yes, dairy is a killer for me if I have too much. Milk is the worst - but in small amounts I can do yogurt and cheese. Lactaid helps, too.
  • Annette_906
    Options

I'm not a big milk drinker but I love cheese and yogurt. Especially since I just discovered the wonders or laughing cow cheese. Lol I definitely give you props for managing to cut out milk products.

I haven't been able to them out 100% but it's definitely close. I used to LOVE eating the laughing cow cheese, it's great on veggies and crackers
  • Annette_906
    Options
    pickelang wrote: »
    I have it. When I was diagnosed my tester one was 1000. Dealt with problems. Have diabetes. I am going to weight management and the started me on a new weight loss med Contrave. I highly recommend it. It has been awesome and I am losing weight and sugars are back in line.

Sounds like you're doing great I've never heard of Contrave, I'll have to google it
  • Annette_906
    Options
    Anyone try a paleo diet??
  • mizgirl24
    mizgirl24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me! I've struggled with my weight since I was in middle school -- was diagnosed in High School. I've tried every fad diet (pointless, I know.) i am ready and willing to lose the weight but it's so much harder with pcos. My motto: I'm not on a diet, I'm changing my lifestyle. I'm getting married soon and he & I would love kids but I've been told by numerous doctors that my weight is a serious problem. I'm new on here -- add me please & thank you! I could definitely use daily motivation and I am completely willing to help others in the process as well. :)
  • megandhight
    Options
    My motto is the one you see in my pic its also the back ground on my phone so that I never forget. "Every food or drink you put into your mouth is either feeding disease or fighting it" I choose to eat healthy to fight my PCOS