Does it hurt your feelings???

Options
Nailrep
Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
You know everybody can see that you have lost weight, but most refuse to acknowledge. Does that hurt your feelings?

Replies

• Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Honey, They are just jealous!!!! Being a better and healthier you is the best revenge!!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, (not always) they are afraid to say it, because if I say "Oh you look so good, have you lost weight?", it could potentially be misinterpreted as "Oh you used to be so fat!" So rather than risk that, most people say nothing.

It does hurt my feelings, too though...
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I had my hair cut into bangs. Took two days till I said I CUT MY BANGS! LOOK!
    Meh. Then they were all noticing. So just tell them I LOST WEIGHT! Don't I look fabulous!? Then bask in the compliments.
    :)
  • justkelley
    justkelley Posts: 53
    Options
    It bothers me a little bit because I want that pat on the back. But I also know that some people are very uncomfortable commenting on other's weight, whether it be lost or gained. It's such a touchy subject for some that I think most people would rather not comment at all. So I try not to let it bother me too much. All I have to do is look at old photos and know that I'm moving in the right direction. :-)
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I find it funny, best bit for me is when they ask "so....what's your secret then?"....and then you see the disappointment on their face when you say "there isn't one...just counting calories and exercise :wink:"
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    When I'm so excited for my progress and no one acknowledges it, honestly yes it does. I would like it if others would congratulate me more like a motivational tool, but recently I posted an update with pics and many people look but don't say hey congrats. It is what it is. I'll get to where I wanna be regardless :)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It kills me that my family hasn't said A WORD.
    But all my friends at work know about how hard I work, and they are constantly cheering me on.
    They're the family I got to choose. :)
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Depends on who it is really. The closer someone is to me, the more their opinion matters.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Not at all. You need tougher skin and/or more self-worth. You know you're losing weight and that should make you feel good. Don't look to others for validation.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    It only bothers me when its the people, family members mostly, that used to criticize my weight, don't say anything to me about losing it. I feel like they are thinking "its about time!" and that their negative comments that made me lose weight. Um no, I did this for me.
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You know everybody can see that you have lost weight, but most refuse to acknowledge. Does that hurt your feelings?

YES!!! It also hurts when someone ask how you are doing and you tell them about the progress you made...24lbs gone, 10.5 inches melted off and they say... "huh, I hadn't noticed".
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    What hurts my feelings are the "you're too skinny" comments or the "come on.... just a few girl scout cookies won't hurt... you are being too obsessive..."

I feel like I'm in better shape than ever yet what am I getting... criticism and attempts at sabatoge... gee thanks.
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    Sometimes, (not always) they are afraid to say it, because if I say "Oh you look so good, have you lost weight?", it could potentially be misinterpreted as "Oh you used to be so fat!" So rather than risk that, most people say nothing.

It does hurt my feelings, too though...

ive been told this is more likely than not the case, and although it would be nice for everyone to notice, i dont need anyone to validate me. i feel good about the willpower to turn my body into what i want it to be and enjoy every second of it!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I never thought that maybe people are afraid to hurt my feelings (thinking I would believe they were implying I was fat before). Good point....
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    its true people think they may offend you if they say "you lost weight" They all notice don't worry!
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It kills me that my family hasn't said A WORD.
    But all my friends at work know about how hard I work, and they are constantly cheering me on.
    They're the family I got to choose. :)

Your family can be your greatest support and your greatest "weight." It's hard when someone in the family starts to or tries to change. They want things to stay the way they are.

Maybe they just don't want to acknowledge your changes and that you're making better choices. Maybe the want the old guy/gal back.

Don't oblige them. They can stay the same (bless them!) and you can do what you want.

Frost said, "Home is where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in." You'll always have family, but you can choose how you relate to them.
  • inertiadriftsc
    Options
    What hurts my feelings are the "you're too skinny" comments or the "come on.... just a few girl scout cookies won't hurt... you are being too obsessive..."

I feel like I'm in better shape than ever yet what am I getting... criticism and attempts at sabatoge... gee thanks.

THIS! I HATE THIS. Ugg it's so infuriating.
  • LosingGrip
    LosingGrip Posts: 18
    Options
    I've had a fair few people at work notice, always family who I don't see that often, however my Gran who I see once a week, maybe less, hasn't said anything! Despite me going round once to get my some extra holes put in my belt. Its become a bit of a inside joke with my mum to see how long it will take her to say something xD.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    People are so internally preoccupied these days that you can't let it bother you. We live in the ME time....no one is as important as ME....ME and my car, road, job, life......

You should always look within yourself and those closest to you for validation and comfort.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If it's someone who sees you all the time, it's hard to notice the change.

I asked my husband the other day if I looked much different. He said, "I don't know. Maybe?" Then he saw my side by side photos and his eyes popped out of his head. :smile: