Atkins diet

Options
Anybody else following the Atkins diet? If so how's it going? Are you exercising also? Are your results different than following a traditional low cal/ high carb diet?

Replies

• airborne18th
    airborne18th Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    yes I am. And due to physical issues I don't do cardio, but I do get exercise.. alot of it right now. a few points.. I don't feel hungry all the time.. since I am not using carbs and sugar to satisfy hunger. my energy level is overall constant, there are times the calorie deficit impacts me more than anything else.. once you get over the initial withdraw over cutting out sugar you will be fine.

Since I have issues that limit my ability to exercise and burn fat my doc pushed me into it. and it is so far the only diet that actually burns fat for me. and I am toning with isometric exercises..

So for me it is hands down a winner
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a new way of eating that involves cutting back on carbs. So much harder to do than it seems. I'm just starting out on my lifestyle change. I hope to stick to around 100-120g carbs a day and only eat them with a protein or fat. Carbs alone cause weight gain for me. Ugh. I just started metformin. Hopefully that will help with my insulin levels. I really wish you the best. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like?
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Cant think of many things less appealing....
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I will just caution, if you're doing Atkins, that you need to count calories as well. I did Atkins years ago after reading his book and didn't think he stressed the issue of caloric intake enough. I wasn't happy with the results I got as a result. I only lost weight to a certain point because I should have moderated my intake to account for how short I am by eating less.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ensure you eat enough fiber if you are on Atkins!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Dandr here. About to enter maintenance.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, and the link. I changed my diet up 2 weeks ago, hoping for a big loss in the begining, but I only lost 3lbs. Ive been counting calories along with carbs, and was expecting to lose more. I didn't think of fiber, Ill have to look back at the last 2 weeks at my fiber content.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I started last week, and I'm already down 4 lbs.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I use a moderated form of Atkins. With diabetes (type 2), carbs are my enemy, and MUST be controlled. However, carbs are necessary to your body, so you can't cut them out. Starting Atkins with the induction list, see how it goes. Get yourself some flax seed (ground, or use a coffee grinder on them. They don't digest if you eat them whole because they are too small. They will help keep you "regular" and supply some Omega 3's.

DO eat the veggies! The fiber is absolutely necessary. Weigh/measure EVERYTHING. Nothing looks like what it really is.

Stay in touch.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    @HereLieWe‌ ....good for u, it took me 2 weeks to loose 3!! @ saraphim41, I try to get the veggies in, I think I'm going to invest in a food scale this weekend, and see if I find a difference...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I will just caution, if you're doing Atkins, that you need to count calories as well. I did Atkins years ago after reading his book and didn't think he stressed the issue of caloric intake enough. I wasn't happy with the results I got as a result. I only lost weight to a certain point because I should have moderated my intake to account for how short I am by eating less.

Sooo, Atkins plus a calorie deficit makes you lose weight? And a calorie deficit alone also makes you lose weight? Gee, what's the Atkins diet for, then? *scratches head*
  • kmentzer1985
    kmentzer1985 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started following an Atkins-like diet a week ago... Doing 1 week at 20g of carbs, then increasing by 5g of carbs each week to determine where my balance is. I have to stress that I did this not because I am a big believer in any diet where you completely restrict anything, but because I am a total carb craver and sugar addict. After the first 3 days, I began to feel much more motivated, less daily stomach pain, and no more massive sugar cravings! I have lost about 5lbs this week, but I am also attempting to be careful about total fat intake, with 50/45/10 (protein/fat/carb) intake. I am weary about a huge fat intake. I also began an exercise routine this week, after being sedentary for a very long time. Overall, this has all been a positive change because I have been stagnant with weight loss for several months. Good luck!
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back into Atkins myself. I did it years ago and had success with it until I had a major depression and started to consume almost nothing but carbs. I'm now looking at getting back to where I was then. I had actually almost reached Onederland. The results I got with it were remarkable compared to the traditional views on how to lose weight; I had little hunger going on as well which helped me to stay on track.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    I've also been sticking to 20grams of net carbs, I followed Atkins once over 10 years ago and did pretty good, I'm just loosing slower this time. I've noticed a decrease in craving carbs also. I think I could have been considered a total carb craver too. I'd be fine with a potato with pasta and bread on the side, so Atkins is helping me take control over that.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Sooo, Atkins plus a calorie deficit makes you lose weight? And a calorie deficit alone also makes you lose weight? Gee, what's the Atkins diet for, then? *scratches head*

Well, yeah... I agree, but some people do feel better cutting carbs for a time, so hey... have at it if it makes you happy. There's no need to keep eating that way if it doesn't make you happy. I didn't want to hijack the Atkins thread to belabor the point, that doing Atkins wasn't necessary to lose weight, though.

• captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am looking into the Atkins diet. Way back in the day I heard a lot of misinformation about the Atkins diet but recently began to do my own research and found that I was HIGHLY misinformed back then. I have an excuse - I was in college and young and not very motivated to do research when I didn't need a diet! I've read the book (make sure you get your 3 cups of foundation veggies each day, and take a calcium supplement!) and am going through the website currently. It's full of good information. I am losing weight just fine now but I know that I want to change it up. They also have the Atkins 40 if anyone is interested in it.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Yup. I find this true as well. I blame cheese. I bet I could go without counting calories, at least when I hit maintenance, if I would just not buy it every week.