Anyone else get rid of the microwave?

Options
I have been thinking of trying to talk my wife into getting rid of the microwave. The foods we eat now we really don't need the thing anymore. Has anyone else done this??

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    No. This is crazy talk.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    But, scrambled eggs!!

Admittedly mine is mainly used for the aforementioned eggs, as a kitchen timer, and to heat my wheatbag, but those are reasons enough.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine over a year ago. Not because of any concerns, it just crapped out and I didn't bother replacing it. It doesn't do anything that I can't do manually, and when I had to do without it, I realised how badly I had been compromising on taste.

Reheating pizza? WAY better in the turbo oven. Reheating chinese? SO MUCH better the next day when re-cooked in the wok. Defrosting meat? Chuck it in a sink of water, no accidental 'cooked' bits. Frozen veg is just as easy on the stove etc.

I only ever really used it as a reheater anyway. The only think I missed was microwave popcorn, so I paid $15 for an air-popper.
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've also been microwave free for the past year. Reheating on the stove or oven has never given my food that rubbery feeling (ew).
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get rid of my current microwave for something better if that's what you mean

Otherwise, I need a microwave to quickly reheat the dinners I prepare throughout the week.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Depends - are you really good about timing when you defrost foods? Like do you definitely come home and make the steaks you take out of the freezer the night before, or do you like to leave it last minute and decide just before cooking?

Conversely, do you freeze cooked meals for later? Reheating frozen stuff is a PITA without a microwave.

I grew up without one, and it's totally fine, if you just really use the fridge. (Or are very good about timing things.)
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If my stove worked better and I was a better cook then I probably would after seeing what my microwave has done to my surrounding electronics... My modem and router only give me have my actual internet service I pay for. Not good.
  • jodes023
    jodes023 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes, have been without one for over 7 yrs. Never miss it unless I want to warm up those hot packs for my back. It nukes the nutrients right out of your food so it was an easy decision for me. I have a toaster oven/toaster but find I don't even use that. I just warmed things up in the oven - and got a convection oven a while back and love love love it!
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine over a year ago. Not because of any concerns, it just crapped out and I didn't bother replacing it. It doesn't do anything that I can't do manually, and when I had to do without it, I realised how badly I had been compromising on taste.

Reheating pizza? WAY better in the turbo oven. Reheating chinese? SO MUCH better the next day when re-cooked in the wok. Defrosting meat? Chuck it in a sink of water, no accidental 'cooked' bits. Frozen veg is just as easy on the stove etc.

I only ever really used it as a reheater anyway. The only think I missed was microwave popcorn, so I paid $15 for an air-popper.

Yes!!
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've also been microwave free for the past year. Reheating on the stove or oven has never given my food that rubbery feeling (ew).

More yes!!!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I have one but I rarely use it, and to be honest I rarely used it before I started losing weight either. Microwaved foods don't taste very good to me and I've never been a fan of those packaged frozen meals.

I pretty much only use it to quickly melt something when I'm too lazy to use a double-boiler or a bain-marie. Or, sometimes, I'll use it to start defrosting some soup, but I'll let it heat up on the stove once it's defrosted enough to get it out of the container.

For everything else I just use the oven or the stove.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would want to get rid of the microwave :) I use mine daily = shortcuts in cooking aside, I routinely use it to reheat my leftovers (which are cooked from scratch) and sometimes frozen - sure, I could do it in the oven - but don't always want to take the time for that
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Nope, I love my microwave. I cook chicken, pasta, vegetables, omelettes, desserts, as well as all manner of other things in there. It's quick, and when done right, tastes just as good as using the oven or stove.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    now microwaves are the devil?
  • jenmar17
    jenmar17 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Never!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    i keep reheating my coffee in it. It must be lip burning hot or it just wont do.
    Otherwise, it is a waste for me.
    Couldnt live without it though since caffeine is my friend!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    But my food will be cold.
  • jodes023
    jodes023 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    A few years ago our microwave broke and we just never replaced it. It isn't that hard to live without one.
    I think food cooked or reheated on the stove or oven taste much better than microwaved stuffand don't get a weird texture.
    Being microwave free did not cause me to lose weight though. I did get extra counter space.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I use mine for reheating a plate of leftovers, cooking frozen vegetables, and just a variety of things. I like the convienence. Plus mine is located above stove, so I wouldnt save any counterspace.