Feeling dizzy - possibly TMI

Options
I've been feeling dizzy all day. Esspecially when I get up from a sitting/laying down position.

I do usually have low blood sugar, particularly when I don't eat enough salt. But I have eaten something very salty, and something very sugary as well a bit earlier, neither have helped.

However, it's almost TOM and usually I would go bonkers with the food around this time, but I haven't this month, I haven't felt an urge to, and just stuck to my normal eating habits. Could it be because of that?

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Chance of pregnancy?
  • Leana088
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Chance of pregnancy?
    Haha no. Zero chance.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It can be a change in blood pressure, especially since you noticed it with the lying down/getting up. Make sure you have been drinking enough water (this will help your body be able to regulate your blood pressure better). If you haven't been to a doctor in a while, maybe it's time for a physical just to double check the BP. You can also go to one of those machines that test you BP in the grocery store.
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Doctor. Random internet strangers aren't going to be much help
  • Leana088
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    It can be a change in blood pressure, especially since you noticed it with the lying down/getting up. Make sure you have been drinking enough water (this will help your body be able to regulate your blood pressure better). If you haven't been to a doctor in a while, maybe it's time for a physical just to double check the BP. You can also go to one of those machines that test you BP in the grocery store.

You have fancy grocery stores....

Yeah maybe I should go see a doc. I would probably hate myself for going if it turned out to be nothing though.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor. First thing I thought of is vertigo. But again...call your doctor because dizzy can mean a lot of things.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Chance of pregnancy?
    Haha no. Zero chance.

Then :smile:
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Call your doctor. First thing I thought of is vertigo. But again...call your doctor because dizzy can mean a lot of things.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling dizzy all day. Esspecially when I get up from a sitting/laying down position.

I do usually have low blood sugar, particularly when I don't eat enough salt. But I have eaten something very salty, and something very sugary as well a bit earlier, neither have helped.

However, it's almost TOM and usually I would go bonkers with the food around this time, but I haven't this month, I haven't felt an urge to, and just stuck to my normal eating habits. Could it be because of that?

You really don't want advice/opinions of random internet people on this. If you think it's a problem consult your doctor.
  • auddii
    Options

Yeah maybe I should go see a doc. I would probably hate myself for going if it turned out to be nothing though.
    It's something my doctor pointed out to my at my annual well woman's exam two years in a row; my BP was slightly high. She took me off my birth control (I had an IUD placed instead), and it has dropped. If you are going for annual exams, that is likely often enough to pick up a problem.

I'd start with making sure you're hydrated; that's the best correlation I've seen when I feel dizzy. Not saying it's the actual cause, but when *I* get dizzy, I'm usually not drinking as much water as I normally do.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Healthcare is meant to be as much preventative as it is reactive, if you think this could be a problem it's worth talking to your doctor about -- no hating yourself for going allowed.

I have issues with my blood sugar and blood pressure as well, and I did have bouts of dizziness often the week leading into my TOM when I was eating at a larger deficit and eating more did tend to help. I also find diet consistency played a big role for me; if I ate well the week leading into my TOM I didn't find I had the blood sugar/pressure drops and bouts of dizziness.

I'm not sure what type of deficit you're eating at, but it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world to add 100-200 cals per day leading into and for the first few days of your TOM if it will help reduce the dizziness.
  • Leana088
    Options

It's something my doctor pointed out to my at my annual well woman's exam two years in a row; my BP was slightly high. She took me off my birth control (I had an IUD placed instead), and it has dropped. If you are going for annual exams, that is likely often enough to pick up a problem.

I'd start with making sure you're hydrated; that's the best correlation I've seen when I feel dizzy. Not saying it's the actual cause, but when *I* get dizzy, I'm usually not drinking as much water as I normally do.

Funny because I also use BC. Although not for accidental pregnancies. Just to actually regulate my period. Do all BC make your BP fall? If so, then mine must be super low !

Even though, I've just started feeling this way last night. In the middle of the night, when I woke up and my whole room was spinning while I was laying in bed. :confused:
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Maybe vertigo? I suffer from this on and off. Currently when I lay down & sit up occasionally when im up walking around.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Healthcare is meant to be as much preventative as it is reactive, if you think this could be a problem it's worth talking to your doctor about -- no hating yourself for going allowed.

I have issues with my blood sugar and blood pressure as well, and I did have bouts of dizziness often the week leading into my TOM when I was eating at a larger deficit and eating more did tend to help. I also find diet consistency played a big role for me; if I ate well the week leading into my TOM I didn't find I had the blood sugar/pressure drops and bouts of dizziness.

I'm not sure what type of deficit you're eating at, but it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world to add 100-200 cals per day leading into and for the first few days of your TOM if it will help reduce the dizziness.

My deficit p/day is about 250. Its the first time this has happened leading up to TOM. That's why I've kind of linked it to it. Simply because the only thing that's changed is I haven't had the splurge of food I normally have.
  • auddii
    Options

Funny because I also use BC. Although not for accidental pregnancies. Just to actually regulate my period. Do all BC make your BP fall? If so, then mine must be super low !

Even though, I've just started feeling this way last night. In the middle of the night, when I woke up and my whole room was spinning while I was laying in bed. :confused:

Birth control taken for long periods of time can cause an increased blood pressure. I was mostly just trying to point out that having annual exams should be frequent enough to pick up problems. Men often can go years without having any doctors visits, but we tend to have better screening just because we go for well women's exams (or at least we should be).

And since it has been lasting a long period of time, it could be something else. Do your ears feel clogged at all or do you feel stuffy? Something could be messing with your inner ear balance too. If it doesn't go away by tomorrow, I'd make an appointment with a doctor just to get checked out. And be careful driving!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

You sound confused. Blood sugar will not rise by eating something salty, blood pressure will.
    If it is not terrible and you are not at risk of fainting etc, then it could be as simple as a cold. If it is not the first time this happens, or you feel you can't stand up, time to call the doctor.
  • Leana088
    Options

Birth control taken for long periods of time can cause an increased blood pressure. I was mostly just trying to point out that having annual exams should be frequent enough to pick up problems. Men often can go years without having any doctors visits, but we tend to have better screening just because we go for well women's exams (or at least we should be).

And since it has been lasting a long period of time, it could be something else. Do your ears feel clogged at all or do you feel stuffy? Something could be messing with your inner ear balance too. If it doesn't go away by tomorrow, I'd make an appointment with a doctor just to get checked out. And be careful driving!

Nope no stuffyness or anything. Yeah, I have to admit I don't go for physicals nearly as much as I should. Number one, there's one doctor in this pathetic little town and he charges a ridiculous amount of money.

And number two, the last time I went to ask him for a physical checkup, all he seemed to be interested in was giving me a pap smear. :confused: heck knows for what. I'm not even sexually active yet. (And he knows that)
  • Leana088
    Options

Nope no stuffyness or anything. Yeah, I have to admit I don't go for physicals nearly as much as I should. Number one, there's one doctor in this pathetic little town and he charges a ridiculous amount of money.

And number two, the last time I went to ask him for a physical checkup, all he seemed to be interested in was giving me a pap smear. :confused: heck knows for what. I'm not even sexually active yet. (And he knows that)
  • Leana088
    Options
    Sorry for the double post. I'm on the mobile app.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For starters, if you do not have a blood sugar monitor and you have blood sugar issues, I highly recommend getting one. It really can be a useful tool in your health arsenal.

Also buy a blood pressure cuff. I also have low blood pressure issues sometimes and when I am feeling dizzy, I check it. Usually it is because my blood pressure is low.

In other words, get yourself some tools for your issues. A quick blood pressure check and blood sugar test will help you when you are feeling dizzy to pinpoint a simple issue.