1 pound gain over night?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How do I get rid of excess water? It discourages me when I see is gained a pound. Especially when I have 15 to loose. Another question: if my calorie intake is allowed 1600 do I have to burn over 1600 for weight loss?

Drink lots of water and eat less sodium.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A gallon of water weighs 8.3 pounds (see below for calculation on the weight of water)... imagine you weigh yourself, drink a bottle of water and then weigh yourself again (without expelling any water), there is your pound.

I concur with all the other comments... what you saw on the scale was water retention. If you had a particularly salt filled meal before going to bed, therein could lie the cause. Salt is a primary cause of water retention.

Best wishes...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.

There are 128 fluid ounces on one gallon, so 8 ounces is 1/16th (.0625) of a gallon.

Convert the 8.34 pounds into (Weight) ounces to get 133.44 (weight) ounces per gallon.

Multiply the number of ounces in a gallon (133.44) by the quantity (the .0625) of the sample and you come up with 8 fluid ounces of water weighs 8.34 (weight) ounces.

Edited to add: I just wanted to confirm, and I have a digital kitchen scale. So I put a measuring cup on the scale, zeroed the scale out and added one cup of water - it came up with 8 5/8ths ounces that works out to 8.625 ounces. So given that i wasn't accurate in pouring one cup, and it wasn't pure water (hard water weighs more) I'm pretty sure the round about way above is correct - eight ounces weighs 8.34 ounces.

• holliebaker90
    holliebaker90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I personally loose or gain anywhere from 1-3 pounds in one night. I have noticed that I weigh less on the weekends when I am not stressed out than during the week. Don't let one pound bother you! Your weight will most likely be completely different the next day. There are MANY factors that pertain to a gain, being near your period, eating too much salt, and drinking a lot of water. I would NOT worry about excess water... it is just how your body retains things, don't stress over 1 pound! Gradually you will come to understand how your body reacts to certain days. I have learned not to pay attention to my weight during the week and wait to see what happens Saturday or Sunday.

If this makes you feel any better... when I am on my period I normally weigh 2-3 pounds heavier and can't loose anything. But once I am off everything gets normal again!
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    OMG A whole pound?!? What did you eat? A truck load of McDs? A scow's worth of Taco Bell? A barge of Burger King?

In all seriousness, I've taken dumps that weighed more than one pound. There's nothing to panic about with a one-pound over-night weight fluctuation. Key word: fluctuation! Go at least week to week, not day to day to avoid future panic attacks. Breathe...just breathe!
  • amber_catastrophe
    Options
    I personally loose or gain anywhere from 1-3 pounds in one night. I have noticed that I weigh less on the weekends when I am not stressed out than during the week. Don't let one pound bother you! Your weight will most likely be completely different the next day. There are MANY factors that pertain to a gain, being near your period, eating too much salt, and drinking a lot of water. I would NOT worry about excess water... it is just how your body retains things, don't stress over 1 pound! Gradually you will come to understand how your body reacts to certain days. I have learned not to pay attention to my weight during the week and wait to see what happens Saturday or Sunday.

If this makes you feel any better... when I am on my period I normally weigh 2-3 pounds heavier and can't loose anything. But once I am off everything gets normal again!

Thank you! I just get so discouraged. My mom will lose 5 pounds in a week if she wants to. Although, she definitely doesn't do it the healthy way. I guess I expect to see results like her, but our dieting methods are completely different. Thank you!!! (:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP, here is a link to my weigh-ins for the past year. I'm reverse dieting right now so you can ignore the measurements for the past week. But you can see that my weight has gone down, up, and stayed the same at various times but the overall trend was downward. Completely normal.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    ^^^Probably the best thing anybody can read if they're struggling with a small weight gain from one day to the next is the link above^^^
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How do I get rid of excess water? It discourages me when I see is gained a pound. Especially when I have 15 to loose. Another question: if my calorie intake is allowed 1600 do I have to burn over 1600 for weight loss?

Your body burns more than 1600 all day long, in a 24 hour period - sleeping, walking, working, exercise, household chores, etc. So if you're asking if you need to burn 1600 in exercise, the answer is no, absolutely not. :smile: The goal MFP gives you has you at a deficit, even before exercise, which is why they add exercise cals back into your goal - eat those too and you're still back at your original deficit for the day.