What is a good/tasty and low-calorie substitute for olive oil in salads?

Options

Replies

• Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use kraft olive oil may, I think it has 35 calories a tbs. If you like Asian style salads I love to mix 1 TBS olive oil may, a 1/2 tbs roasted peanut oil, and a tsp of wasabi and spray with braggs or soy sauce. Its really good on a pretty decent sized salad.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are using a cup of olive oil per salad, obviously there is room for improvement. So, reducing oil and adding e.g. lemon juice or vinegar will help. But, if you use a olive oil in moderation, like a teaspoon or two per seving, it is much healthier than any other alternative.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    I use 1 teaspoon olive oil with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar salt pepper and lemon juice

I like this. Olive oil is so good, giving you long term satiety.

Diamonds are small and expensive too but who wants to give them up?

I like the way you think :grinning:

Seriously OP 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar can make a salad
  • SarahECSpragg831
    Options
    I say stick with olive oil. And if you splurge and get a flavored one you can use a lot less and your salad will come alive.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You don't get all your nutrition from you meal if you don't include fat. Some vitamins are fat soluable so you need the olive oil. Fat also keeps you feeling full longer.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If the only reason you're concerned about the olive oil is calories - just use a little less of it. Because...delicious!

That being said, if you're just looking to mix things up again, try salsa as a 'dressing'.
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like salsa on my salads.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I like salsa on my salads.

This. Make sure its real mexican and not the stuff in a jar at the supermarket.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with olive oil? It's a healthy fat.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I use lemon juice and olive oil. Always have. I just use less olive oil than I used to. One half to one teaspoon, depending on the size of my salad. That's 20-40 calories.
  • staceymca_89
    staceymca_89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Fry light 1cal salad dressing :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    also keep in mind that having some fat with your salad is a good thing for nutrient absorption.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Fry light 1cal salad dressing :smile:
    Low cal dressings taste like a lab experiment gone bad. Like others have said, it doesn't take a lot of oil to properly dress a salad, so why ruin the salad?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly I like mixing Dijon mustard with oil and vinegar anyway, and realized that I didn't miss the oil at all when I started skipping it when I had less calories... Works for me.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Check out Walden Farms. They make calorie free salad dressing. All types.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I like using flax oil, apple cider vinegar, and some Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning and add about a tablespoon of this dressing to my salad.

Some days, I have tuna and boiled egg with salt and pepper in my salad and I don't bother with dressing on those days.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette dressing. I think it's only 45 cals per serving, and it's delicious with spinach, cucumbers and feta cheese. There is a lot of sodium in it though, so if that's something you're watching, I would just stick to a controlled quantity of olive oil.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I use mustard and salsa. Yummers.
  • pinkytoes33
    pinkytoes33 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is great! Healthy fat! Plus it has calories but it's way lower than normal dressing. I use olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon and pepper. So good!!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette dressing. I think it's only 45 cals per serving, and it's delicious with spinach, cucumbers and feta cheese. There is a lot of sodium in it though, so if that's something you're watching, I would just stick to a controlled quantity of olive oil.

Yum! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try it.