I quit smoking while dieting..

Options
124»

Replies

• fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I gained about 25 lbs when I quit for good. Thing is, I wasnt going to try and tackle two beasts with one sword. I just decided that weight is temporary, the carcinogens' effect on my body is not. Therefore, I ate like that fat uncle that makes christmas dinner cleanup easier bc less tupperware is needed. I didnt care, bc two years down the road, I am 10 lbs less than I was when I quit!

Fact is, if you truly want to quit smoking, you have to sacrifice. If you get a strong craving, and you are at your diet limit...what will you do? I say dont give a *kitten* about getting fatter. You are quitting smoking! You smoking now is still less healthy than a you +100 lbs and NOT smoking. aiming to lose weight while quitting smoking will prove a very hard challenge, because you need to give your body time to adjust to the lack of nicotine. I pigged out on anything snackable because it gave my brain the placebo effect, whereby satisfying it, and eventually the cravings went away and I started my diet and fitness plan.

I wont say best of luck, but I will say may the willpower be with you! I sure couldnt do what you want to do.

Reading all of our posts about how much it sucks to quit smoking REALLY makes me want to punch my 14-year-old self in the face for ever starting. I've been struggling with it for half of my life now. I hope I'm finally free.

I gained weight too. About 35 pounds. But it's good to see that you're now weighing less than you did then. I hope to join you there! Cheers :)
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    First of all congrats on your quit! I quit too on January 9 and since then have gained 1.5kg had to pamper my quit when I first started with comfort food, chocolate or whatever I fancied at the time. But now its time to get serious about weight loss and being able to quit smoking has given me the mindset of "if I can stop smoking, the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my whole entire life! then I can lose weight. I can do whatever it takes to lose this weight cos I am so much more mentally stronger now!"

I admire you for quitting while you're still young. I wish I did the same.

I watched the 5:2 BBC documentary, got the book, saw my doctor who recommended this for me as nothing else has worked in the past. I am prediabetic so I have to make this work. This week I lost 2kg with intermittent fasting and exercise 3 x a week. Simple. Like when quit smoking, not easy but simple :)