Illegal?

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    just to chime in, it is definitely illegal. I teach employment law, and this is a federal law, so whatever state, everywhere in the US it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender for any job. The only exceptions to this law are for jobs where you are a "performer". Example, for an acting job, you are totally allowed to discriminate on the basis of gender, looks, whatever. That's why Hooters doesn't hire "waitresses", they hire "actresses" to play the part of waitresses. That way they can discriminate all day long and not violate the law. Same when Disneyland hires someone to be Cinderella. If a black girl applied and was turned down because she doesn't look like Cinderella, it would not be illegal discrimination.

HOWEVER, just because something is illegal doesn't mean you will find a DA that will prosecute it.

Did you see my response above? I'm not interested in pursuing legal action. I just wanted to know for sure if it was legal or not before I said anything. I am still not sure if I will say anything. I am very annoyed about it though.

I'm pretty sure she saw it. Even if she didn't, it's been asked and answered, (several times) so you have somewhere to start.
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    I'm pretty sure she saw it. Even if she didn't, it's been asked and answered, (several times) so you have somewhere to start.
    Thanks, I noticed.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Ok, just looking at from the flip side as a mom.....yes it seems unfair, and if the hsow was on the otehr fot and a different scenario we would be up in arms... but as a mom of a 5yr old girls.....I can tell you my dd would FLIP out and NOT be comfortable with a young man helping her in the bathroom..I would not feel comfy leaving her there if there was only ONE man/boy to watch the kids in case that situation came about
    Just the reality of it!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Ok, just looking at from the flip side as a mom.....yes it seems unfair, and if the hsow was on the otehr fot and a different scenario we would be up in arms... but as a mom of a 5yr old girls.....I can tell you my dd would FLIP out and NOT be comfortable with a young man helping her in the bathroom..I would not feel comfy leaving her there if there was only ONE man/boy to watch the kids in case that situation came about
    Just the reality of it!

there are people in this world who would discriminate on other bases, and say, sorry that's just the way I feel. That doesn't make discrimination OK. Go back to your statement and replace "young man" with "black person" Now does that sound alright? Of course not.

Discrimination is wrong, and we have made it illegal because we agree as a society that it is wrong. She should speak up. IMHO
  • kimber607
    Options
    Just my opinion...but too much crazy **** going on in the world today
    if I don't want a young man helping my 5yr old in the bathroom that should be OK and i know 110% SHE would be very very uncomfortable..bigger fish to fry..let's be real
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    if she is uncomfortable, it's because she was taught to be. The only thing kids are instinctively afraid of is falling, everything else is learned.

this is what's real: discrimination isn't legal.

Casey Anthony should be proof enough that it isn't gender that causes someone to be a threat to small children.
  • Jon_Rod
    Jon_Rod Posts: 158
    Options
    if she is uncomfortable, it's because she was taught to be. The only thing kids are instinctively afraid of is falling, everything else is learned.

Casey Anthony should be proof enough that it isn't gender that causes someone to be a threat to small children.

I Agree..
  • kimber607
    Options

I Agree..

we can just have a difference of opinion (and I am probably the most nun-judgemental/open minded person on the planet..) and obviously u don't have a little girl...just true or u MAY feel differently
    ...enough said on this topic
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I have three daughters. Don't make ASSumptions.
  • kimber607
    Options
    I have three daughters. Don't make ASSumptions.

Very mature.....mother of 3 ....whatever...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Mother of Five.

4/5 were valedectorians.

They are now:

Attorney
    Nuclear Engineer
    Mechanical Engineer
    Law School
    Chemical Engineer.

Thanks for asking.
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    Okay, just want to add a few things.
    1. It's okay for males to be nurses/doctors for young females. Even though it's harder to become a nurse/doctor than a babysitter, it doesn't mean a "crazy" person can't do it.
    2. I'm pretty sure he would only be helping the non-toilet trained kids in the bathroom. Most of the kids there looked younger than 2.
    3. Females can do inappropriate things as well.

If the mom's really have a problem with it, they can be paged to go in to the bathroom with the kid. (This already happens several times a day because the kids don't want to go with the women.) Not for nothing, childcare at my gym is free. If someone judges and doesn't trust the person working there, then maybe they should hire a babysitter or work out at home.

Or just make the kid use the bathroom beforehand.
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    Mother of Five.

4/5 were valedectorians.

They are now:

Attorney
    Nuclear Engineer
    Mechanical Engineer
    Law School
    Chemical Engineer.

Thanks for asking.

Which wasn't the valedictorian? I was valedictorian and am now studying Chemical and Environmental Engineering.

Are you seriously in your 30's with 5 grown children?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Yes, I really do have 5 children. And two grandchildren.

The fourth child was not the valedectorian, she came in third in her class.

The eldest earned a 172 on her LSATs.

As you can tell I'm incredibly proud of my kids :)
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    1- Yes, it is discriminatory.

2- In many states, care facilities in gyms, churches (during services), etc. don't have to meet the same ratio, licensing, etc. as a regular daycare facility. They are considered short term care facilities.
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    nvm. i'll stay out of this.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    a man is driving his son to school. they get into an accident and the man dies. the son is rushed to the hospital and when he arrives for emergency surgery the doctor says "i cant operate on this boy, HES MY SON!"

how is this possible?

think outside the box kiddo.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    a man is driving his son to school. they get into an accident and the man dies. the son is rushed to the hospital and when he arrives for emergency surgery the doctor says "i cant operate on this boy, HES MY SON!"

how is this possible?

think outside the box kiddo.

Doc's his mom.

(ETA- Doc's his gay "other" Dad)

I go away for a day and this gets all interesting......Hi! Lucky!!!

• scratchless
    scratchless Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.

There are different employment laws depending on what the industry is but in my oppinion this is age and gender discrimination.

But think, how many chinese restaurants do you see with westerners in (UK i am talking)

An owner of a chinese eating establishment can put on their advert that they only want chinese people to apply, becuase the place is a chinese restaurant it is within the culture of the place and totally legal.

age discrimination is normally overcome by employers by placing must have a "degree in child care" and "5 years experience" banner, this means the person has been to UNI and therefore what 22-23 years old and then 5 years old meaning the only age people can apply is 27-28 years old.

as for mothers saying I don't want a bloke taking my child to the toilet, would they allow another father?

I would like to think the cresh vetting agency would find out the nasties and not employ them but these days you never know.

R
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    The center I used to work at preferred to put men in the older kids classrooms, where they didn't need as much bathroom help.

Parents are really panicky about that sort of thing.