How can I cut calories without having to cut out the foods that I like?

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    1) You cannot make decisions about your body based on what "some people" look. And I really really hope the "some people" is not the current boyfriend of the month!
    2) You need to figure out where you want to be for yourself. Would you like to lose fat? Be more athletic? Fit into a size or two smaller clothes? What would make you happy? For yourself, not anyone else.
    3) You need to figure out a way to make whatever goals you set for your body match the lifestyle you are willing to have, on the long run. If you are not happy changing anything in the way you eat, then maybe losing weight is not the first priority. And since it looks like weight loss for you is not a matter of health (e.g. you are not obese) but of personal preference, you need to figure out what your goals really are. Is giving up your daily coffee worth losing 10 lbs after a few months for example? And when you do lose these lbs, will you want to go back to the daily treats, with same ingredients and portions? Because if the answer is yes, then changing eating habits for a short term, it is pointless.
  • kitchensolo
    kitchensolo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track!

As per what 3oz. of meat looks like, it's roughly (very roughly!) the size of a fist. It's not a great guide for obvious reasons, but it works in a pinch. Re: scales: I've got an Escali scale that's about 5 years old - the newer versions l look even better. You'll want something that measures in both oz. and grams. They're a joy to use. Check out this one: Escali A115S Aqua Digital Scale Liquid Measuring Scale. Also, don't underestimate how much vision plays into registering a satisfying portion to your brain. After you've weighed-out a portion of cooked meat, take it to a plate/cutting board and slice it thin. In doing so, you'll "see" all that meat fanned out in your serving bowl as a much larger portion than you would if it weren't cut, and in a solid 3oz block. Mental trickery is a good thing. ;-)
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You really need to cut out carbs in your liquids, so the daily hot chocolate and fraps need to be sugar free. In fact if you can cut them out you will notice a huge savings in calories. There are other noodles that are made with rice, yellow beans, udon etc. try them instead of regular pasta. It may take a few tries, but you really will start enjoying them more than regular pasta.

No

Care to explain why? :smile:
    I often see just plain "NO" as a reply here. Which isn't really a helpful response at all

Because its unnecessary to give up anything. Nothing needs to be "sugar free", she doesn't have to give up carbs. She just needs a caloric deficit to lose weight, thats it. It's CICO and learning moderation will benefit for a sustainable diet.

Lose weight yes, but if you want that weight to be mostly fat you need to have a reasonably healthy diet to meet your macros.

No you don't. You need to be eating enough protein, have a small to moderate deficit only (i.e. no more than 1lb/week), and lift heavy weights at hte gym. None of this requires eating any weird pasta substitutes or cutting out Starbucks. Sugar doesn't somehow kill one's muscular maintenance.

We're saying the same thing I think. If you eat all those drinks + the pasta, then there's probably not enough room left for the protein. That's about 1000 calories of carbs and fat and not much protein. I don't know OP's calorie target so it's hard to say.

I don't think OP knows her calorie goal either!

OP, have you figured this out yet?

I think it's 1200 calories with a daily hour workout. I want to lose 20-40 pounds.

Unlikely. Considering I'm 7lbs heavier and eating 1000 calories more than this to lose weight, you can eat more than 1200 to lose weight while working out 7hrs a week.

Set your goal to 1lb/week, eat to your goal, eat back at least half of your exercise calories.

I think you're a little atypical losing on 2200 at 157. I'm 5'8 160 and my maintenance is around 2000. 1500 and I lose a lb a week (that doesn't include exersize though, which op's probably doesn't).

OP, yeah you're probably going to want to set it to lose 1 lb per week. I also think 20 lbs lost would be plenty. 40 would put you underweight (and you would definitely never be drinking any frappecinnos) ;)

I think I set it to like 2 lbs a week. I've weighed 110 before (like two years ago when I tried going vegan) and I've gotten compliments at that weight. Apparently I look fat to some at 120-130.

Those people are trippin. 125 to 160 is a healthy range for that height according to bmi charts. Just speaking from experience, 125 is quite lean. Below that is gaunt. I know everyone is different, that's why there's such a range. In any case, you don't look large at 125.

Most people set it to 2 lbs a week at first, and they get that 1200. I did, it was pretty tough and unsustainable. I ended up switching to 1 lb a week, and get a little more leeway for treats and stuff. I still eat a lot of chicken and veggies as that gives me the most bang for my buck calorie wise.

• karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You really need to cut out carbs in your liquids, so the daily hot chocolate and fraps need to be sugar free. In fact if you can cut them out you will notice a huge savings in calories. There are other noodles that are made with rice, yellow beans, udon etc. try them instead of regular pasta. It may take a few tries, but you really will start enjoying them more than regular pasta.

No

I often see just plain "NO" as a reply here. Which isn't really a helpful response at all

I just don't think it's really appropriate to tell someone they're drinks need to be sugar free. Will you save calories? Sure. You can eat regular pasta too. If the OP wants to try noodles made out of yellow beans, fine. I also don't know how someone could just assume that another person would start enjoying yellow bean noodles better than regular pasta.

430 calories in a grande frappuccino, 170 calories in 8oz. of grape juice, 138 calories in 1 packet of swiss miss.

That's 738 calories completely wasted. I think it's completely appropriate.

Touche.

Yup, I don't drink a single calorie in my life anymore. More yum yum and more water, less wasted cals :)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

No

Because its unnecessary to give up anything. Nothing needs to be "sugar free", she doesn't have to give up carbs. She just needs a caloric deficit to lose weight, thats it. It's CICO and learning moderation will benefit for a sustainable diet.

Lose weight yes, but if you want that weight to be mostly fat you need to have a reasonably healthy diet to meet your macros.

No you don't. You need to be eating enough protein, have a small to moderate deficit only (i.e. no more than 1lb/week), and lift heavy weights at hte gym. None of this requires eating any weird pasta substitutes or cutting out Starbucks. Sugar doesn't somehow kill one's muscular maintenance.

We're saying the same thing I think. If you eat all those drinks + the pasta, then there's probably not enough room left for the protein. That's about 1000 calories of carbs and fat and not much protein. I don't know OP's calorie target so it's hard to say.

I think it's 1200 calories with a daily hour workout. I want to lose 20-40 pounds.

What is your height and weight? And activity level?

5 ft 7 1/2 and 150 lbs. I'm pretty sedentary unless I'm going to the gym.

You are 5'7" and your goal is to possibly be underweight by getting to 110 lbs? Why?

110-130. Preferably 120. It's just that some people seem to think I still look large at 120+.

Jeez . That's just sad :disappointed:
    Do what you feel is best for you. What other people think should have no bearing on your goals xx
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    With trial and error and a willingness to experiment, you can make some smart swaps for your favourite thing MOST of the time, saving the real thing as a treat.

- For example, here in the UK we have sandwich thins - 2 slices of bread for 100 calories, as opposed to about 160 calories. A bit smaller and thinner, but enough.
    - At Starbucks you can ask for skimmed milk and sugar free syrup. I get a frozen skinny caramel frapuccino that's about 90 calories but tastes like so much more.
    - Do you really love grape juice? Or could you live without it most days? Because fruit juices are a lot of calories that don't fill you up. Swap for water, flavoured water, or tea, or coffee perhaps.
    - Swap your dressing for a lower calorie version, or make your own. Ranch and regular mayonnaise are insanely calorific.
    - Cook the foods you love, but use less oil. With a good non-stick pan you can use half a teaspoon of oil. And when frying things like onions, you can even use a bit of stock instead.
    - Your bedtime hot chocolate could easily be a low cal version. I find the uk versions a bit weak at 40 calories, so I just use 50% more powder. Still loads less calorific than the regular stuff.
    - You can have pasta. Just have less and try swapping half of it for vegetables.
    - Come to that, by making half your plate at each meal consist of fruit and veg instead of things like bread and pasta, you save calories. Calories that can then be spent on the foods you love. That's how a lot of people on MFP have success - we balance the low calorie diet food with yummy treats so we don't feel deprived.
    - Yep, you can make room for all the things you love with exercise. That's the beauty of MFP! Be aware that most burn rates on MFP, apps and gym machines are exaggerated. You're probably safe eating back 50-75% of the calories they say you've burned.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Of course you can compensate with exercise, but then you need a good heart rate monitor to check the amount you've burnt.

Some ideas: Switch one of the eggs by an eggwhite. Dump the grape juice or take half of it and dilute it with water. I'd also try to get rid of the starbucks thing or at least don't add the syrups. I had a chai latte from there once, and it was SO sweet, sickeningly sweet. Yet, for two weeks after that I had a sugarcraving for that latte every day (didn't give though). That starbucks stuff is cray. Like Mcdonalds in a cup.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like the OPs issue might be with body composition (body fat vs lean body mass). I'm almost the same height and my goal is 140 which will make me very lean based on my current body. I'm 180-ish now and wear a size 10. I have a good amount of muscle that thankfully didn't leave while I was carrying a bunch of fat around.

OP, not sure what your circumstances are, but perhaps you can speak with a professional trainer to see what you can do in the gym to achieve your goals. Do you do strength training? It might help you.

As for your "must haves", I dunno. I think moderation that is preached here has to do with quantity and frequency. There is a fine line between the mindset of "if it fits... " and is this high calorie drink really worth me going to bed with a growling stomach every night? I choose to fill up with food that will make me not feel like I'm on a diet. I stir fry and season my food so it's flavorful. I've experimented with veggie to starchy carb ratios to increase the amount I can eat. My plate is a lot fuller with 3 times the veggies and less pasta or rice or potatoes. My food tastes better sauteed instead of steamed. What I'm saying is it is a balance.

The mantra of "it's a lifestyle, not a diet" doesn't mean you can still eat all the things (in the same quantity/frequeny) you ate before and magically lose weight. To me, it is about adopting new habits that keep you satisfied and allow you to continue eating food that you don't want to live without forever. But for those of losing weight, that usually means LESS of the high calorie stuff. Smaller size OR less frequently. I don't think there is any way around this unless you don't have protein goals or vitamin / nutrition goals to meet. I think you will be hungry drinking more than half of your calories. And pasta, while I love it, is also high in calories. By the time you add in those things, there is barely anything left after that (on a 1200 calorie diet).

Just my opinion. Good luck.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You can have everything you want, just not all at the same time. To me, your daily diet looks like a greatest hits of all the things I love! When I eat a bagel, that's the splurge for the day. If I have a hot chocolate, that's the splurge for the day,etc etc. you can have all the foods you love,just not all at the same time, every day. My strategy has been to cut the things that matter to me the least, so I can still eat what I love the most. I learned I hate drinking my calories- not satisfying at all, so it's rare I drink anything other than water, seltzer, or herbal tea.

I've learned that breakfast is usually a fuel meal rather than an enjoyment meal, so during the week, I eat oatmeal with some berries and save the fun breakfasts like pancakes, bagels, etc for the weekends when I can really relax and take my time to enjoy it.

Same with week night dinners. Many times, even though I cook from scratch, and love food, I'm mainly eating as a stop between getting home from work and going to bed, so I save the decadent meals for the weekend. By doing this, my weekdays are typcially under my calorie allotment, so on the weekends, I can eatover,and still be at a deficit for the week.

I'm only eating 1200 cals. I'm never hungry, and never feel like I'm eating cardboard either. If ican do it, anyone can doit! My diary is open, don't hesitate to look at my meals and let me know if you'd like the recipes.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i eat what the things that I like and still hit my goals…my diary is open, feel free to browse it.

The important thing to remember is that you hit your calorie/macros/micro targets for the day
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A typical day of food for me goes like:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, 1 oat bran bagel, 2 slices Colby jack cheese and a cup of grape juice.

Mid morning snack: a banana or a low fat yogurt or like a handful of plain Cheerios.

Lunch: a steak or a pork chop with a salad and Russian dressing.

Afternoon snack: during the weekday, I always get a customized vanilla bean Frappuccino from Starbucks with Java chips, a shot of white mocha syrup and caramel sauce.

Dinner: typically a meat and pasta dish like spaghetti and meat sauce or baked ziti. I take a dinner plateful no seconds.

Snack: I usually drink a cup of Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate before bed.

There are some things I don't think I can give up like red meat (I hate chicken, turkey and fish), the Frappuccino or the pasta. Is there anyway I can eat them and still lose weight if I just burn the calories through exercise?

Portion control....

Why do you think red meat is evil and something you would have to give up...I eat red meat all the time...it's meat...that's it. Carbs aren't the devil either...there's nothing wrong with pasta.

Portion control...it's EZ.
  • ana3067
    Options

No

Unlikely. Considering I'm 7lbs heavier and eating 1000 calories more than this to lose weight, you can eat more than 1200 to lose weight while working out 7hrs a week.

Set your goal to 1lb/week, eat to your goal, eat back at least half of your exercise calories.

I think you're a little atypical losing on 2200 at 157. I'm 5'8 160 and my maintenance is around 2000. 1500 and I lose a lb a week (that doesn't include exersize though, which op's probably doesn't).

OP, yeah you're probably going to want to set it to lose 1 lb per week. I also think 20 lbs lost would be plenty. 40 would put you underweight (and you would definitely never be drinking any frappecinnos) ;)

Not really atypical, as I've encountered other (older) women who are eating more than I am and losing weight. I am losing 0.5-1lb a week on 2100, and once I go back to 2200-2300 that should be 0.5lb/week. Meaning maintenance around 2500, which for my activity levels and weight is pretty on point. Meaning 4-5hrs of moderate or higher intensity, walking and standing around for 2+hrs every day on average. Will she be able to lose on my caloric goals? Maybe not. Can she lose on more than 1200? Yes.

I also weigh and log as accurately as humanly possible; people who do NOT do this are easily overeating by a few hundred calories every day, meaning that they may log 1500 but are actually eating 1800.

And finally, I could simply have more lean mass than you do, which may be helping me eat more calories to lose weight.
  • ana3067
    Options

No

I think I set it to like 2 lbs a week. I've weighed 110 before (like two years ago when I tried going vegan) and I've gotten compliments at that weight. Apparently I look fat to some at 120-130.

set it to 1lb a week and don't set a goal of being less than 130lbs. if you dislike how you look in 20lbs from now then reassess and opt for body recomposition.
  • ana3067
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Brownies have more stuff in them than frappuccinos.

lolwut?

We're counting "stuff" now, are we?

You know... "stuff." Special stuff.
    4fe4e61dedf7e.jpg
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    How about a skinny Frappuccino?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

No

You don't have 40 pounds to lose. I hope you're not seriously thinking of going that far. Because you have very, very little to lose, you should NOT be trying to lose at the highest rate, which I'm assuming you put in the calculator. That setting is for the very obese. You only have maybe 15-20 vanity pounds to lose, set the calculator to .5 or 1 pound a week MAXIMUM.

I'm slightly shorter than you are, my starting weight was 145. I have been on 1300 all along, and have lost steadily. 1200 is likely far too low for you, especially if you are unwilling to give up some of the very high calorie things on your list. (Personally, I think you should drop the frappucinos altogether and then have one SMALL SIZED one per month in maintenance. A whole Tall or Grande one every day? That's a bit of over-treating, in my opinion. Every day, it's not a treat anymore, it's a staple. A big, calorie filled staple. )

I'd also suggest either skipping the bagel part of breakfast or eating only half of it. Only one slice of cheese and use one whole egg and supplement with egg whites. Try drinking only water and regular coffee or tea with some cream and small amounts of sugar. Skip the Russian Dressing, try herbal tea instead of hot cocoa at night. Those simple sacrifices will cut your caloric intake down DRASTICALLY with very little sacrifice of the nutrient-rich foods you like.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP, you have completely unrealistic expectations. You can't eat everything you love and maintain a very low weight. It's just not going to happen. Sorry.

So like everyone else, I suggest you stick to a realistic calorie goal (to lose 1 pound a week at most), eat back half your exercise calories, log everything you eat, and once you lose enough weight and you start to realize that you're always hungry but can't eat less than you do, readjust your perception of what your ideal weight is.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

No

You don't have 40 pounds to lose. I hope you're not seriously thinking of going that far. Because you have very, very little to lose, you should NOT be trying to lose at the highest rate, which I'm assuming you put in the calculator. That setting is for the very obese. You only have maybe 15-20 vanity pounds to lose, set the calculator to .5 or 1 pound a week MAXIMUM.

I'm slightly shorter than you are, my starting weight was 145. I have been on 1300 all along, and have lost steadily. 1200 is likely far too low for you, especially if you are unwilling to give up some of the very high calorie things on your list. (Personally, I think you should drop the frappucinos altogether and then have one SMALL SIZED one per month in maintenance. A whole Tall or Grande one every day? That's a bit of over-treating, in my opinion. Every day, it's not a treat anymore, it's a staple. A big, calorie filled staple. )

I'd also suggest either skipping the bagel part of breakfast or eating only half of it. Only one slice of cheese and use one whole egg and supplement with egg whites. Try drinking only water and regular coffee or tea with some cream and small amounts of sugar. Skip the Russian Dressing, try herbal tea instead of hot cocoa at night. Those simple sacrifices will cut your caloric intake down DRASTICALLY with very little sacrifice of the nutrient-rich foods you like.

I agree. I think OP could achieve a nice steady loss just doing that.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you are unwilling to give up your daily frappuccino, then you don't want to lose weight badly enough. Ask yourself what you really want. (Although the stubborn attitude is a bigger issue than the sugar.)

A frappuccino should be a TREAT. Maybe once a month. And even then get whatever the smallest size is. Find other ways to give yourself a break in the afternoon. Go for a walk. I suspect you're not truly hungry when you have that frap, not after a big breakfast and lunch. And if you were truly hungry, you would probably want something more nutritious than a frappuccino, and it wouldn't HAVE to be a frappuccino. Learn to distinguish between true hunger and just wanting to eat. (Which reminds me-- your morning snack is reasonable, unlike the frappuccino, but are you truly hungry after that big breakfast? Or do you just want a break and you like to eat?)

Everything else, just cut back. Half a bagel instead of a whole, one slice of cheese instead of two, a few ounces of grape juice instead of a whole cup (Try gradually diluting it with water-- I do this with OJ and I love it.), a lighter dressing (e.g., vinaigrette) instead of Russian, sometimes omitting pasta, eating chicken sometimes instead of beef. (Surely there are some chicken dishes you might like. I don't think I haver known anyone who refuses to eat chicken other than vegetarians.) And cut out the daily hot chocolate. Replace it with one or two small squares of a good quality dark chocolate.

Other than the frappuccino, those are all very simple changes that should result in some weight loss.