Planner or track as you go?

Options
13»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mostly pre-log.

in the mornings when i have my coffee, i usually figure out what ill have the rest of the day. then ill confirm/adjust weights as those meals come and go.
  • Bogditzy
    Bogditzy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do it mostly as I go. Didn't find any problems this way...I end up having 200 cal left to eat after all my meals - which usually turns in a treat/nuts/fruits
  • jporter1183
    jporter1183 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead for sure. At a minimum I log every meal one day ahead of time. It really helps me keep within my goals and make sure I am not hungry as the day goes on. Plus it stops me from having any binges (most of the time!).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I only pre-log under these conditions:
    a) I am going out
    b) need to make something fit and work the rest of my day around it
    c) am going to be busy or lazy the next day and just want to plan things ahead of time
    d) already know that the next day I'm going to want x item (e.g. I know today I want burgers because I made burgers last night)
    e) planning my dinner on the way home that same day.

Usually when I plan, it's half a day only of planning. I much prefer to eat "spontaneously" because.... that's how life is. I never sat down the night before and chose/planned out what I was gonna eat the entire day. For me, tracking is about pushing it as far into the background of my life as possible so that it's just something that I do without having to think much about it or put much effort into. I don't plan on pre-logging for life, so I don't utilize this method now. I do not usually eat the same thing every day. When I wake up I will go to the fridge and grab food, log it as the default weight, and then I will grab reasonable portions of everything (logging helped me learn what reasonable means) and weigh them all, then update the weight in my app. Then eat. My calories will range between 400-700 for a meal this way, and I naturally developed an eating pattern that I much prefer (eating more in the evening). Pre-logging and being too regimented made me feel uneasy and hangry, partially because I wasn't eating enough in the evening and I was eating too much for breakfast and lunch.
  • SamiDee12
    SamiDee12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I pre-log every week. I do meal prep on Sundays, and have all my lunches/dinners ready to go for the week, that way I don't give in to picking something up while I'm at school or work.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Since I bring my breakfast & lunch to work most days, I pre-log because I have to make it the night before. I have a rotating set of breakfast & lunch items that I can easily make & bring with me. I also have specific snacks that I bring with me. I usually plan about 1/2 my calories for breakfast, lunch & snacks, which gives me room to add things if I want, & can adjust my dinner for how much I have left.