who is or has done low carb?

Options
I am interested in recipes made food ate any pointers. Thanks

Replies

• PrzemekR
    PrzemekR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am already on. Check out my diary, if you are interested about new ideas. Btw, how many carbohydrates do you eat?
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I am, yeah.

Biggest pointer is actually to watch your protein levels. A lot of folks who do low carb ditch many or all of the grains. The thing is, if you do that, this is a good chunk of the partial protein in the diet, as well. So you'll need to either increase your full protein intake, or start eating more legumes, nuts, and seeds paired together to make a full protein.

Something that it may help to know: buckwheat, amaranth, and quinoa are actually pseudo grains and tend to be lower in carbs. In fact, amaranth and quinoa are full proteins in and of themselves (as are soybeans).

Another thing to look for - if you ditch a lot of grains, especially gluten, is to keep an eye on your nutrient levels. Wheat is fortified with nutrients that can be hard to get elsewhere, so making sure you still get them somehow will help make the diet successful.
  • mommax3mch
    mommax3mch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PrzemekR wrote: »
    I am already on. Check out my diary, if you are interested about new ideas. Btw, how many carbohydrates do you eat?

I was shootin for 20?
  • ValentineNicole
    ValentineNicole Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am trying a modified low carb diet, as I simply was not seeing results on a healthy, organic low calorie diet and continuing to gain - which made me frustrated enough to get some stupid fast food the other week. I reevaluated and decided to try something different... Excited to see if it helps!
  • debifrias34
    Options
    I have been doing lchf ( low carb high fat) I monitor my macros including watching my calorie intake
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I've done controlled-carb (think standard diabetes diet - tried it out because my mom got put on one). Good for dropping weight but hopelessly incompatible with long distance road trips. I'll do it again when hell freezes over.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, never again. Could never find any recipes that satisfied the ridiculous level of cravings.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mommax3mch wrote: »
    I am interested in recipes made food ate any pointers. Thanks

http://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/ is good
    http://lowcarbfamily.com/

Personally I eat "normal" foods (low carb ones, obv) most of the time and dabble in low carb recipes as a hobby rather than my mainstream eating.
  • ed_word
    ed_word Posts: 4
    Options
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com yes I currently am and still do check this calculator if you're curious! Keep the fats high the protein moderate and the carbs low and you're pretty much good
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Mamax3 sounds like you are doing Atkins? I am starting it today and have planned to do hard boiled eggs, a little mayo, and grated parmasean, toasted for just a minute or 2 until the cheese is browned with 2 oz red bell pepper for breakfast and a sprinkle of spinach. Make sure you check out the Atkins website and the app - both are great resources. 12-15 net carbs should come from vegetables. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Search for the low carb forum here and look at people's diaries and ask questions there. I don't low carb, but there seems to be a learning curve for doing it well and if I were to do it I'd learn from those here who have done it successfully.
  • nancywin
    nancywin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did no/low carb for a while (6 mo) while working with a PA. I did lose weight quickly, but for me it was impossible to maintain as a lifestyle. I love fruit and vegetables too much. I still try to ditch empty carbs, but sweet potatoes, fruit and other healthy carbs are back on my menu!
  • Missbodyrocker
    Options
    I did it for two weeks years ago and hated every minute of it and lost 4lbs. I think I could have lost the same on a calorie restricted diet. Never again and I couldn't live that way forever anyway. For me it's about incorporating every food you enjoy and cutting back with the calories on a daily basis.
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hello! I do it..I like to go more Paleo-- meat and veggies. Yes to the protein!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I did it for two weeks years ago and hated every minute of it and lost 4lbs. I think I could have lost the same on a calorie restricted diet. Never again and I couldn't live that way forever anyway. For me it's about incorporating every food you enjoy and cutting back with the calories on a daily basis.

You must have been more sensitive to the keto flu. Some people it takes a little while to get acclimated. For me, my stomach loves dairy and meat, and I don't have all those funky disorders like celiac or IBS or whatever other dietary thing people think they have. The weight loss is all about calorie restriction, not the diet. The diet is just a means for achieving that goal. So, if you lost 4 lbs in two weeks, it is because you ate at a deficit. The diet itself does not make people lose weight. I have remained at 200 lbs for the last week even though I am in nutritional ketosis. I haven't lost weight because I haven't ate at a deficit. Some of THAT is because I have been unable to control my psychosomatic hunger brought on by THC. So, once I do that, I will probably be in a deficit. Of course, working out more would also accelerate the progress, as my workouts are not dependent upon food.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I do calorie density versus carbs. I try to eat foods that are high protein, high fiber, low sugar and fat. For calorie density I try to eat foods with a calorie density of 3 or lower. The formula for figuring out density is calories per serving divided by grams per serving. A half cup of sliced strawberries has 53 calories and is roughly 118g, that would give it a calorie density of about 0.45.