Substitutes for bread that don't suck?

Options
Hey all!
I was wondering if anyone has any substitutes they could share.

Thank you!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Why do you HAVE to substitute it? If it's a low carb diet just to lose weight and you don't expect to continue that diet for life, then any return to carbs will invariably just increase one's weight back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why do you HAVE to substitute it? If it's a low carb diet just to lose weight and you don't expect to continue that diet for life, then any return to carbs will invariably just increase one's weight back.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How many pounds will "return" if one adds carbs back? 3? 5?
    Doesn't CICO apply?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    EveiiHere wrote: »
    Hey all!

Thank you!

OP: what's your goal? Lowering the calories from bread? Lowering the carbs from bread?

There are some reasonably healthy lower calorie breads that taste good.
    There are some reasonably healthy lower carb breads and tortillas that taste good.
  • EveiiHere
    EveiiHere Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Thank you!

OP: what's your goal? Lowering the calories from bread? Lowering the carbs from bread?

There are some reasonably healthy lower carb breads and tortillas that taste good.

I just want a lower calorie option I suppose, I keep reading that bread hinders weight loss. I'm not sure how much fact there is to that but I do know I was eating far too much of it.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Less bread
  • yellowradiates
    yellowradiates Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi there - due to my husband's gluten intolerance we have been experimenting. My favourites are home made gf cornbread - tostada - wild rice cakes - romaine or lettuce - sliced apple for cheese or nut butter. Not a big fan of the purchased gf bread products because of the starches and the way they make me feel. There is also a gluten free group that may be able to provide other suggestions.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with bread. Eat a lower calorie bread. If you like white bread and dislike wheat bread (like me), try Whitewheat or a similar bread--it looks like white bread but has fewer calories and more fiber than average.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bread doesn't hinder weight loss,but too many calories, or macros that are all out of whack does. If you're looking to do something for sandwiches, I've started using Joseph's oat, flax, whole whet pitas. Only 60 calories each, and I get the same chewy satisfaction I get when I eat bread:)
  • jodes023
    jodes023 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Check out this wonderful site - cauliflower garlic fingers, spinach pizza dough etc:
    http://thehappyhealthfreak.com/2015/01/cauliflower-garlic-fingers-gf-low-carb-df-option/
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Bacon weave.

bacon-weave-bun.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Bread is great. I love fresh, thick, bread...but it doesn't always fit into my day. There are other things I prefer to keep. So I have a substitute. The Arnolds breads are extremely low calorie, 100 for two slices, and there are some other options. It's not like I take it out of the bag and savor every bite. But it serves it's purpose as a vessel for cheese, peanut butter, egg sandwich.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    jodes023 wrote: »
    Check out this wonderful site - cauliflower garlic fingers, spinach pizza dough etc:
    http://thehappyhealthfreak.com/2015/01/cauliflower-garlic-fingers-gf-low-carb-df-option/

........... that's fracking depressing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Thank you!

I just want a lower calorie option I suppose, I keep reading that bread hinders weight loss. I'm not sure how much fact there is to that but I do know I was eating far too much of it.

Bread does not hinder weight loss. Too many calories do.

Some people do better with lower carb - but then, its not just bread you need to limit. If you are not low carb'ing (sounds like you are not), then just use the lower calorie bread or tortillas for wraps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    Bread doesn't hinder weight loss,but too many calories, or macros that are all out of whack does. If you're looking to do something for sandwiches, I've started using Joseph's oat, flax, whole whet pitas. Only 60 calories each, and I get the same chewy satisfaction I get when I eat bread:)

How does "macros out of whack" hinder weight loss?

Those pitas look tasty!
  • ana3067
    Options
    Hey all!

Thank you!

Eating too much hinders weight loss. Just log your bread and eat it, and you should be able to figure out whether you are eating too much for your goals by looking at whether you have exceeded your caloric needs.
  • ana3067
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yup. Learn lifestyle changes, not a fad, temporary means to an end. If you don't learn how you can eat bread/carbs for your weight goals now, then you're probably not going to suddenly know how to moderate your carb intake in such a way that keeps you within your caloric needs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hey all!

Thank you!

There are some tasty lower calorie options. I look for one with a short ingredient list, low in sugar, high in fiber. Those pitas posted a few posts ahead look tasty. Some of the "sandwich thins" are lower in calories, and tasty, and reasonably healthy as well.
  • EveiiHere
    EveiiHere Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Thank you!

There are some tasty lower calorie options. I look for one with a short ingredient list, low in sugar, high in fiber. Those pitas posted a few posts ahead look tasty. Some of the "sandwich thins" are lower in calories, and tasty, and reasonably healthy as well.

I will have to go look around for some. there doesn't seem to be allot of options where I live.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

If you are just looking for lower calorie options - sandwich thins, Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, Ezekiel bread (I buy TJ version - cheaper). I'm sure there are other brands - just read the labels and taste test.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey all!

Thank you!

I will have to go look around for some. there doesn't seem to be allot of options where I live.

My hubs likes these a lot:

http://oroweat.com/products/sandwich-thinsreg-rolls/sandwich-thinsreg-rolls/100-whole-wheat

I prefer whole wheat tortillas myself.