Substitutes for bread that don't suck?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I just want a lower calorie option I suppose, I keep reading that bread hinders weight loss. I'm not sure how much fact there is to that but I do know I was eating far too much of it. [/quote]

Less bread

Rather than 2 slices of toast for breakfast I have one and top it with scrambled egg white, mushroom and cheddar and lots of black pepper

Etc
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I found that to limit the calories of bread and the stuffed feeling I get from lots of carbs I will simply double up my ingredients onto less bread. Rather than two sandwiches with a given amount of meat and veggies each I will make a single sandwich with all the ingredients budgeted for the two sandwiches. I do the same with my quick PB&J sandwiches some days. My wife and I are having grilled cube steak on half a chibata roll with home made tomato sauce and the difference of not using the top half of the roll is dramatic.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I just want a lower calorie option I suppose, I keep reading that bread hinders weight loss. I'm not sure how much fact there is to that but I do know I was eating far too much of it.
    If you are just looking for lower calorie options - sandwich thins, Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, Ezekiel bread (I buy TJ version - cheaper). I'm sure there are other brands - just read the labels and taste test.
    The cheap TJ bread is great too!
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Fiber One whole wheat bread is really good. I also like whole wheat pita bread which is healthier than wheat tortilla's so i always opt for those. I'm not a dessert lover. I'm a bread addict so i know the dilemma... lol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Contrary03 wrote: »
    Fiber One whole wheat bread is really good. I also like whole wheat pita bread which is healthier than wheat tortilla's so i always opt for those. I'm not a dessert lover. I'm a bread addict so i know the dilemma... lol.

I've not seen Fiber one bread. Interesting.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What is healthier about the pita v the tortilla?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I now eat white thick sliced farmhouse as it has fewer calories than my previous seeded whole grain bread
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

What is healthier about the pita v the tortilla?

I am curious too
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Bacon weave.

bacon-weave-bun.jpg
    Omg! What is this awesomeness?!? Must try!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I like rye bread because it has a lot of flavor but is pretty low cal, about 70 per slice. Makes for interesting peanut butter sandwiches though...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I like rye bread because it has a lot of flavor but is pretty low cal, about 70 per slice. Makes for interesting peanut butter sandwiches though...
    I actually really like the taste of rye PBJ. :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I just eat an amount of bread that fits my calories. When I just need something to sop up my egg yolks, I'll just eat one bread if that's what I've got room to eat.

Or, for a change of pace (and taste), I eat corn tortillas (the little ones are around 45-50 calories each). These are delicious with scrambled eggs, chili, or soups, IMO.

For sandwiches, a half a sandwich won't cut it for me, so I'll either do the 35-40 calorie "diet" bread (some are tasty enough, YMMV), or I buy an extra wide loaf--1 slice @ 100-120 calories can easily be cut in half to make two "appropriately" sized sandwich slices.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I actually really like the taste of rye PBJ. :)

I had to get used to when I first bit into it, but I admit I really like them now too.
  • lorisavage13
    lorisavage13 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sara Lee has a 100% whole wheat bread that is very good and has only 45 calories a slice.
  • vicridge4
    vicridge4 Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I work at a health food store, and most of my experience just comes from my own research, some training, and lots of people asking me "what can I substitute for...". Bread is a huge one! So I'll offer what I know.

Making your own bread helps, you can control the calories in your loaf of bread. The problem with "substitutes" is that most of those substitutes are actually HIGHER in calories ie: using rice flour/coconut flour/amaranth flour. Substitutes may have twice as many calories. Substituting 50% coconut flour takes my 400-500 calorie home made bread loaf and makes it about 900 calories! Oof! Let's not even talk about the amount of fat that coconut flour contains!

Making your own bread can reduce calories from added sugars. My loaf is 5 grams of sugar per loaf, other store-bought breads are up to 100 grams per loaf! You can substitute even the 5 grams of sugar for stevia or splenda.

The problem with bread alternatives: They are usually lower in fibre and other essential nutrients. It takes research and time to develop a nutritional plan to substitute for those nutrients, so cutting out bread can make MAJOR cravings come back which is why most people fail at diets that cut bread.

Try to find the nutrients that your regular bread provides and try to substitute THAT before anything else. Sometimes the lower calorie option isn't always the best bet!

Pita's, tortilla's, and flatbreads are still bread, and may actually contain more calories per piece than a loaf (example: 1x60gram tortilla is 200 calories, my whole loaf of bread is 400-500 for about 12 slices).
  • cplate
    cplate Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to cut out white? Why not start with eating whole grain breads and eat it say either at breakfast or lunch and limit calories that way?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    cplate wrote: »
    Are you trying to cut out white? Why not start with eating whole grain breads and eat it say either at breakfast or lunch and limit calories that way?

Err. I see that all the time, but it's not actually true that it reduces calories. Eg

1 slice of thick cut, farmhouse white bread from an 800g loaf = 103 calories http://www.warburtons.co.uk/products/bread/white/soft-white-farmhouse-large-800g

Similar but wholemeal =104 calories
    http://www.warburtons.co.uk/products/bread/wholemeal-brown/rich-and-tasty-wholemeal-800g

1 slice of seeded, batch whole grain from an 800g loaf = 137 calories
    http://www.warburtons.co.uk/products/bread/seeded/seeded-batch-800g

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Err. I see that all the time, but it's not actually true that it reduces calories. Eg

1 slice of thick cut, farmhouse white bread from an 800g loaf = 103 calories http://www.warburtons.co.uk/products/bread/white/soft-white-farmhouse-large-800g

http://www.warburtons.co.uk/products/bread/wholemeal-brown/rich-and-tasty-wholemeal-800g

Can confirm. Two slices of Great Value (WalMart Brand) white sandwich bread is 120 calories.

Seems like white is usually way less calorie-dense.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Can confirm. Two slices of Great Value (WalMart Brand) white sandwich bread is 120 calories.

Seems like white is usually way less calorie-dense.

How many grams is that two slices of white bread?
    I'm pretty sure I can find one in wheat with the same weight, and similar or fewer calories.
    We have to compare apples to apples.
  • MeganFlanagan16
    MeganFlanagan16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I cut out wheat entirely. I love bread, but once I stopped eating it I started losing weight immediately. I'd rather eat an apple for less calories than a slice of bread.