Gaining... Is there any such thing as 'bad' calories?

Options
Hi guys, I'm no newcomer to this site, but I am new to the forums. I am just looking for some advice really so please don't be rude. I am currently 24 years old, 5 feet tall and weigh 69 pounds. Obviously I am trying to gain a little bit of weight but I am really struggling with the concept of 'bad food' and I don't really know what I should and shouldn't be eating. Should most of my calories be coming from protein and veggies? Is there such a thing as eating too much chocolate or sweets in order to reach my calorie goal? At the moment I'm eating a chocolate bar every single day in order to reach my goal and to me it seems wrong. Shouldn't I really be eating healthy things (I am eating veggies and fruit etc for meals too btw) or does it not matter? Any constructive advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    when bulking, calories are king.
    Yes you should focus on fruits, veggies, protein but youll be too full on chicken and broccoli to hit your goal. So ice cream, chocolate, etc will be a necessity to help hit the goal. You can make smoothies since sometimes its easier to drink your calories to hit high goals
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm no newcomer to this site, but I am new to the forums. I am just looking for some advice really so please don't be rude. I am currently 24 years old, 5 feet tall and weigh 69 pounds. Obviously I am trying to gain a little bit of weight but I am really struggling with the concept of 'bad food' and I don't really know what I should and shouldn't be eating. Should most of my calories be coming from protein and veggies? Is there such a thing as eating too much chocolate or sweets in order to reach my calorie goal? At the moment I'm eating a chocolate bar every single day in order to reach my goal and to me it seems wrong. Shouldn't I really be eating healthy things (I am eating veggies and fruit etc for meals too btw) or does it not matter? Any constructive advice would be much appreciated.

Keep eating a chocolate bar a day. The are helping you get your calories.
    Your food will be coming from protein, eggs, beans, veggies, fruits, fat, oils, nuts
    Food is not good or bad.
    It is not assigned that kind of designation. Choose food that you want to eat for that particular day. Those are good foods -- ones that you have chosen. That is when they become good.
    Try to get close to your macros: protein, fats, carbs.

• TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    For many of us...we do have to watch what we eat so that we stay within our calorie limits...so we eat smart...trying to maximize our proteins, and stay within our fats/carb limits. Thus we do eat lots of meat and vegs. Instead of eating ice cream, why not truck down to your local health food shop and pick up a tub of weight gaining powder? It will have a high level of calories...but also a high level of protein. That's smarter than just plain ice cream and choc. Just a thought.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts and quinoa immediately come to mind
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    In reality, there's either calories WITH nutritional density or those will none or little. There's really no "bad" calories. Especially when one is trying to gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - no such thing as "good" and "bad" food. There is just food that your body uses for energy. Make sure that you hit your calorie/micro/macro targets for the day and you will be fine. And, as others ave pointed out, calories are king when trying to bulk…so yes, you can have things like bagels, ice cream, cookies, etc…just balance that out by hitting your micor/macro/calorie targets...
  • TrailBlazerMN
    TrailBlazerMN Posts: 202
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some food makes you feel great, other food makes you feel like crap. I think this is the common sense thought when people talk about good food and bad food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    For many of us...we do have to watch what we eat so that we stay within our calorie limits...so we eat smart...trying to maximize our proteins, and stay within our fats/carb limits. Thus we do eat lots of meat and vegs. Instead of eating ice cream, why not truck down to your local health food shop and pick up a tub of weight gaining powder? It will have a high level of calories...but also a high level of protein. That's smarter than just plain ice cream and choc. Just a thought.

why? you don't get extra credit for gong over on protein….
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    when bulking, calories are king.
    Yes you should focus on fruits, veggies, protein but youll be too full on chicken and broccoli to hit your goal. So ice cream, chocolate, etc will be a necessity to help hit the goal. You can make smoothies since sometimes its easier to drink your calories to hit high goals

Double-down on chocolate baby! Former Chocolatier here - dark chocolate is an excellent food as the poster said - plus it does have fiber in it - it's one of the few :sweets" I advocate eating for gaining some good weight.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I've found if I can hit my protein level all my macros drop into place. Pasta is great for adding calories in my experience.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    At 69lbs, you're very light even given that you are relatively short. Did you get light by just overall not being hungry, or do you tic ally fear "bad" foods? How do you feel about your relationship with food in general. It may be beneficial to speak to a therapist if you feel you have an unhealthy relationship with food.

An f others have given you good advice. If the Chocolate bar gets you to your goal go for it. You can also try to increase your calories in the foods you already eat. Use oil to cook your meats and veggies, eat full fat dairy and salad dressings, etc.
  • Regaining_life
    Regaining_life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and advice guys, I appreciate it
  • Regaining_life
    edited March 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    At 69lbs, you're very light even given that you are relatively short. Did you get light by just overall not being hungry, or do you tic ally fear "bad" foods? How do you feel about your relationship with food in general. It may be beneficial to speak to a therapist if you feel you have an unhealthy relationship with food. .

I was very unwell for a while last year and lost a lot of weight through just not really eating much at all because everything I ate, even if it was just soup, caused digestive distress and stomach ache. The problem is sorted now but I'm still very reluctant to eat certain foods

• Regaining_life
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    At 69lbs, you're very light even given that you are relatively short. Did you get light by just overall not being hungry, or do you tic ally fear "bad" foods? How do you feel about your relationship with food in general. It may be beneficial to speak to a therapist if you feel you have an unhealthy relationship with food. .

I was very unwell for a while last year and lost a lot of weight through just not really eating much at all because everything I ate, even if it was just soup, caused digestive distress and stomach ache. The problem is sorted now but I'm still very reluctant to eat certain foods

Are you currently receiving therapy?

No, therapy for what? I don't think I need it, no offence
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Well, if you have the all clear from the doctor, don't bother cutting out foods unless they still give you issues. It might be best to try some of the foods you are concerned about one at a time and see if they give you issue. But the only bad food would be the ones you can't digest properly.
  • gio14
    gio14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    In reality, there's either calories WITH nutritional density or those will none or little. There's really no "bad" calories. Especially when one is trying to gain weight

+1
  • CherylT0405
    Options
    In my opinion, there are "empty" calories, such as with cake and cookies, and there are calories that you get from healthy foods. The ones you get from healthy foods are the ones that actually serve a nutritional purpose for your body. I don't think the healthy way to gain weight is to eat a bunch of unhealthy foods. I like to know that what goes in my body is helping me in many ways. So, I would suggest to double up on the more nutrient dense foods such as avacado, cheese, whole milk, nuts, and hummus.