Substitutes for bread that don't suck?

Options

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said bread isn’t the problem: too many calories in and not enough calories out is.

I used to love bread and eat lots of it at every meal. Now I just occasionally buy a nice bread and eat it as a meal instead of as a side (with cheese and olives and wine? yes please!).

For bready things on a regular basis, I like high protein pitas or healthier whole grain breads. Some favourites are Haddad Bakery's pitas for wraps (130 cals / 11g protein per 9” pita) and Stonemill Bakehouse’s Chia bread for sandwiches (140 cals / 7 protein / 7 fibre per 2 slices)
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I like whole grains and fiber, so I get the Oroweat Extra Fiber multigrain bread. One slice is 80 calories. I usually have just one slice with a meal, and it's very satisfying, plus the extra fiber helps keep constipation away - a common problem with a weight loss diet.
  • jodes023
    jodes023 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    jodes023 wrote: »
    Check out this wonderful site - cauliflower garlic fingers, spinach pizza dough etc:
    http://thehappyhealthfreak.com/2015/01/cauliflower-garlic-fingers-gf-low-carb-df-option/

That's 67 calories for one stick. How's that saving calories from bread?

She asked for bread substitutes. I gave her some.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    bacon "bread" vs. cucumber "bread" vs. bread "bread"

No competition lol

Really? I actually can't decide between bacon bread or bread bread.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I cut out wheat entirely. I love bread, but once I stopped eating it I started losing weight immediately. I'd rather eat an apple for less calories than a slice of bread.

No, you didn't. Belvita biscuits have wheat.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    bacon "bread" vs. cucumber "bread" vs. bread "bread"

No competition lol

Really? I actually can't decide between bacon bread or bread bread.

Bread bread any time.. Now I freaking love cucumbers, but a sub without bread is not a sub, nor is a sandwich a sandwich (and don't get me started on cauliflower crust although cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I cut out wheat entirely. I love bread, but once I stopped eating it I started losing weight immediately. I'd rather eat an apple for less calories than a slice of bread.

So does Raisin Bran.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    EveiiHere wrote: »
    Hey all!
    I was wondering if anyone has any substitutes they could share.

Thank you!

YES!

My homemade bread! It's the best of any bread I've ever tasted.

ETA: I misread. You want lower calorie bread. Mine is not lower calorie, but it's sure better tasting than any other bread you find on the market. :)
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    [/quote]How does "macros out of whack" hinder weight loss?

Those pitas look tasty![/quote]

I am curious about this too. I work hard to stay under mine, along with the calories. But I am curious about the impact of going over on macros. Does anyone know?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How does "macros out of whack" hinder weight loss?

Those pitas look tasty!
    I am curious about this too. I work hard to stay under mine, along with the calories. But I am curious about the impact of going over on macros. Does anyone know?

Answer is, it usually doesn't. People lose weight on low carb, moderation and 80/10/10. Now extra muscle loss due to not consuming enough protein MAY affect weight loss slightly, but not as much as one would imagine.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I am curious about this too. I work hard to stay under mine, along with the calories. But I am curious about the impact of going over on macros. Does anyone know?[/quote]

As far as weight loss goes, it doesn't matter. As long as you're in your deficit.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread, almond flour recipes, parmesan cheese crisps, I like all these things that people turn to when they break up with bread.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I am curious about this too. I work hard to stay under mine, along with the calories. But I am curious about the impact of going over on macros. Does anyone know?[/quote]

Macro balance has nothing to do with weight loss. Your macros can be whacked out all over the place, but if you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight.

Likewise, having perfect macros balance does not guarantee weight loss.
  • lessachs
    lessachs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bread's bad for the carb load. I may have one slice of multigrain bread a day but that's about it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    I was wondering if anyone has any substitutes they could share.

Thank you!

OP: what's your goal? Lowering the calories from bread? Lowering the carbs from bread?

There are some reasonably healthy lower calorie breads that taste good.
    There are some reasonably healthy lower carb breads and tortillas that taste good.

I just want a lower calorie option I suppose, I keep reading that bread hinders weight loss. I'm not sure how much fact there is to that but I do know I was eating far too much of it.

No fact to it at all. Stay at a deficit, and it won't matter how much bread you eat.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Check out this wonderful site - cauliflower garlic fingers, spinach pizza dough etc:
    http://thehappyhealthfreak.com/2015/01/cauliflower-garlic-fingers-gf-low-carb-df-option/

That's 67 calories for one stick. How's that saving calories from bread?

She asked for bread substitutes. I gave her some.

You must have missed her post asking for lower calorie options.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

So does Raisin Bran.

And Panera Chicken Noodle Soup.

Also? Apple? Hmmm... 100 or more calories. Slice of bread? 70ish?

Nothing wrong with either choice, but an apple can have more calories than a piece of bread if we're just making caloric comparisons.

• daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would definitely just go for lower calorie bread. I buy the Sara Lee 45 calorie per slice bread and it's as good as any bread I used to buy, but there are a lot of options out there. When I can splurge financially, sometimes I buy the mini Dave's Killer Bread loaves, which I think are like 60 calories per slice. You can also get the sandwich thins or similar, which are 100 calories per roll.

Honestly, this question amazes me because sandwiches have been one of my favorite meals/snacks lately because they're insanely low calorie but still decently filling. I mean, I can have an entire can of soup and a sandwich for like 365 calories (depending on soup/sandwich toppings, of course), and that's pretty exciting to me, haha.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    lessachs wrote: »
    Bread's bad for the carb load. I may have one slice of multigrain bread a day but that's about it.

What's wrong with carbs? Unless you have a health reason to watch your intake of them, they're essential to our diet.

OP, if I want to save calories, I have whole wheat tortillas that are 80 calories. A huge difference compared to the current loaf of bread I'm eating that would add 240 calories to a sandwich.
  • FlorianCokl
    Options
    How about Muesli (Müsli as we spell it). BUT don't fall for products with big fat letters saying "Vital" or "Healthy", "Organic" etc. They have tons of sugar in them.
    I like www.mymuesli.com - no sugar added. You can even create your own mixture, give it a name to easely reorder it.
    What is Ballaststoffe in English? These Müslis have lot's of them - thus, you won't get hungry soon again. They taste delicious - that's what I think.