So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• sylviakeogh2014
    sylviakeogh2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post!! Really enjoyed reading it.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    does anyone here also having trouble running indoor? It just feels longer to finish when I run indoor as opposed to when I run outdoor.

Another thing I experienced is when I'm not eating enough, mostly because sometimes I ate too much the day before, typically after a cheat day, I experienced some kind of dizziness when I stand up. Is this normal?

Also I heard that, doing a crossover of walking and running during my workout session is better in terms of burning fat when compared with full-running. Is that true? I do 5K daily.

Doing less work uses more energy? I suppose if you read it on the Internet it must be true. :confused:

If you need to walk, then walk. If you can keep an easy pace that lets you still have casual short conversation you should do that and not walk or slow down until you can. That's what's best for you.

I believe all of this is covered in the initial post in this discussion.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Read this today. Went to the gym and started the C25K program.

My fitness was OK, what I had trouble with was in the achillis, and most of all, the balls of my feet ache while running.

If it wasn't for the aching feet I could cope with the rest. I find I have this problem with any high impact activity, ie aerobics, even when I used to horse ride I found jumping down would send shocks through my feet.

Is this normal? Do I just have to push through it?

Not enough info to tell... What shoes are you wearing? Have you been fitted professionally? Some discomfort is normal as your body adjusts, but there's a difference between pain and discomfort.

(Also, fellow equestrian with tender feet and knees—definitely much preferred dismounting on grass or arena dirt vs. asphalt.)
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    Read this today. Went to the gym and started the C25K program.

My fitness was OK, what I had trouble with was in the achillis, and most of all, the balls of my feet ache while running.

If it wasn't for the aching feet I could cope with the rest. I find I have this problem with any high impact activity, ie aerobics, even when I used to horse ride I found jumping down would send shocks through my feet.

Is this normal? Do I just have to push through it?

Not enough info to tell... What shoes are you wearing? Have you been fitted professionally? Some discomfort is normal as your body adjusts, but there's a difference between pain and discomfort.

(Also, fellow equestrian with tender feet and knees—definitely much preferred dismounting on grass or arena dirt vs. asphalt.)

I have a decent pair of Adidas shoes. Not fitted professionally. Can't be due to sports injury because I only did the 1st C25K episode, (20 min). I have the same problem wearing heals, 1/2 hour and I'm crippled.

In the past I have tried gel inserts with no luck.
  • Marianne802
    edited February 2015
    Options

Great article
  • Marianne802
    Options

Also I heard that, doing a crossover of walking and running during my workout session is better in terms of burning fat when compared with full-running. Is that true? I do 5K daily.

I think you are referring to High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). I assume it would be the same. Running for 1 minute, walking for a minute. Googling HIIT it has many bennefits including increasing fitness and something about after burn. Still learning.
  • nguyenfiona
    Options
    great advice! so pleasant to read. and it answers lots of my questions. thanks so much
  • Uhfgood
    Uhfgood Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Reading all the replies on this thread is making me feel left out. Is there ANYONE doing this just so they can eat more? If you want to run 5k's and 10k's and full marathons, more power to ya. Honestly, I couldn't care less about running races. I want to be able to EAT. I'm tired of restricting my caloric intake to less than 1600 kcal. This is why I started to half-walk/half-jog a couple of months ago. I'm not even up to jogging a full mile yet. I won't be to for a while. I may or may not increase my speed and/or my distance. (I'm thinking of just adding another lap via walking when I get to running the full mile which is 2 laps).

Not in any way interested in a 5k. In fact I feel like most of you are in this running -- I want to say cult, but I don't want to be mean -- clique, running clique. That I'm just not in, or like an inside joke which I have no knowledge of.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put YOU down for obviously doing what you love, and I'm not feeling depressed as in I'm not sad that I'm not part of this little clique, but still feels like I'm on the outside. (I don't really want to be in this club either.)

Anyone at all that's normal and just wants to eat more and shed more pounds and is just doing it for that reason alone?

(I don't intend to come off as a jerk or superior in any way, but I almost feel as though you 5k+ guys are the popular kids in school, and I'm the shy awkward one who can't talk to the opposite sex -- as far as an analogy goes, and in fact is the way my real life was in school)
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    When I started exercise, that was my excuse... so I could eat more. Truth is - as the weight come off, you eat less and you really don't want any more. The closer you get to your goal weight the more you change your diet and the more foods you find that fill you up;
    - I run, because I can. There was a time when I could not (and I have been trying in the cold winter - but I am not able to go far as of yet). Last summer - I ran my first "fun run" it was an 8k; I had a blast. Was no where near the top contenders. But I made it, no stopping, one foot after the other. I do it to push my limits, little by little, step after step, until my former self is unrecognized. I do it because I want to be the best man I can possibly be.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I do it because I want to eat more, there is nothing wrong with that. Do I enjoy it? Yes, but that's not the main reason I'm doing it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I think you are referring to High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). I assume it would be the same. Running for 1 minute, walking for a minute. Googling HIIT it has many bennefits including increasing fitness and something about after burn. Still learning.

HIIT is more than just intervals. You are supposed to do the high intensity part at near maximum effort, like 90% of maximum heart rate.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Uhfgood wrote: »
    Reading all the replies on this thread is making me feel left out. Is there ANYONE doing this just so they can eat more? If you want to run 5k's and 10k's and full marathons, more power to ya. Honestly, I couldn't care less about running races. I want to be able to EAT. I'm tired of restricting my caloric intake to less than 1600 kcal. This is why I started to half-walk/half-jog a couple of months ago. I'm not even up to jogging a full mile yet. I won't be to for a while. I may or may not increase my speed and/or my distance. (I'm thinking of just adding another lap via walking when I get to running the full mile which is 2 laps).

Not in any way interested in a 5k. In fact I feel like most of you are in this running -- I want to say cult, but I don't want to be mean -- clique, running clique. That I'm just not in, or like an inside joke which I have no knowledge of.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put YOU down for obviously doing what you love, and I'm not feeling depressed as in I'm not sad that I'm not part of this little clique, but still feels like I'm on the outside. (I don't really want to be in this club either.)

Anyone at all that's normal and just wants to eat more and shed more pounds and is just doing it for that reason alone?

(I don't intend to come off as a jerk or superior in any way, but I almost feel as though you 5k+ guys are the popular kids in school, and I'm the shy awkward one who can't talk to the opposite sex -- as far as an analogy goes, and in fact is the way my real life was in school)

I think a lot of us who started running did it for the reasons you said. It was a way to accelerate weight loss, burn more energy, get more net carbs etc. It was a means to an end.

But along the way, it somehow became fun (I would have NEVER imagine saying that before August of last year) and the net carbs were more a bonus than the only reason to do it. IMHO, running is like any other fitness activity, if you really don't enjoy doing it, then it's hard to stick to and probably isn't worth the net calorie gain. I'd feel the same way if there was a thread about swimming, playing indoor soccer or any other actvity I really didn't enjoy. :)

• sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I'm with you. No interest in entering a race, don't want to track my personal bests, not trying to re-live any glory years, not judging those who do. I just want the weight loss and wellness benefits of running, along with the extra calories I eat back at 50%.

• Marianne802
    Options

HIIT is more than just intervals. You are supposed to do the high intensity part at near maximum effort, like 90% of maximum heart rate.

As I'm just starting out on my fitness journey. Any running puts me up to 90% of my maximum heart rate.

I have just started the week 1 of C25K. I wear a Polar HRM and the running interval sees me at about 168bpm. I know I'm unfit. Have no clue on how I'm going to manage week 2. At the moment I treat week one as a HIIT. Might just stick to that for now until my fitness improves.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

At first, I run because it was supposed to burn more calories, in other words, I run because I want to eat more than 1200 calories. I registered for a 5k and used C25K because I know I would not be anywhere near consistent otherwise. After my first 5k, I almost quit running -- I reached my goal weight and it seems like swimming is more fun. Then, I watched a movie (Godzilla) and figured that, it would be nice to still be able to run more than a minute, you know, in case of emergency :smiley: Then, my husband took on C25K. We are now running together almost every weekend. In the coming Saturday, we will be running together for a 5k race with our two boys. It is nice to have something more that our family can do together. We also have more conversation starters with our friends.

No, I still don't enjoy running itself but I enjoy the feeling that comes after it -- yeah, I finished it! I feel like I am one of the cool kids now :smiley:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

As I'm just starting out on my fitness journey. Any running puts me up to 90% of my maximum heart rate.

I have just started the week 1 of C25K. I wear a Polar HRM and the running interval sees me at about 168bpm. I know I'm unfit. Have no clue on how I'm going to manage week 2. At the moment I treat week one as a HIIT. Might just stick to that for now until my fitness improves.

How do you feel during those intervals? If you truly are putting out that much effort, you need to slow down.
    If you are just starting out with C25k, you need to go slower. Even if you can walk faster, go slower.
  • Marianne802
    Options
    I also find running harder than any other cardio. I can workout on an elliptical trainer for 1/2 hour doing intervals, my elliptical machine has programmes that automatically adjust the resistance to a max of 12 and I can work at a level of 9 for a straight 20 minutes. HR sits around 158 to 162 with no problems.

I also have no problem with bikes and rowers. I can complete a spin class, I admit sometimes i feel like throwing up half way through it, but I still manage to finish it.

However, get me on the road for a run I can barely make it to the corner.

I would love to be able to run, have attempted the C25K programme 3 times now but don't make it past the 1st week. My feet ache and my legs feel heavy.
  • horcruxno7
    Options

Hi, there! I'm a big time foodie looking to incorporate more physical activity just so I don't have to cut down on what I want to eat.
    I also want to be able to run long distance, but yes, my primary objective is to continue the calorie intake I currently have without it affecting me physically.
    I appreciate your honesty about this. Nice to make your acquitaince.
  • angiemango
    angiemango Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym / treadmilling to fight insomnia. I like the treadmill the most out of all the equipment. Now I want to know the science behind it - should I go faster or slower, longer or shorter, etc. But yeah. Eating more is awesome - how can you knock being able to eat more? But being able to wear nice clothes again without worrying about fat hanging out everywhere would be awesome too.
  • Coryn2109
    Coryn2109 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also find running harder than any other cardio. I can workout on an elliptical trainer for 1/2 hour doing intervals, my elliptical machine has programmes that automatically adjust the resistance to a max of 12 and I can work at a level of 9 for a straight 20 minutes. HR sits around 158 to 162 with no problems.

I also have no problem with bikes and rowers. I can complete a spin class, I admit sometimes i feel like throwing up half way through it, but I still manage to finish it.

However, get me on the road for a run I can barely make it to the corner.

I would love to be able to run, have attempted the C25K programme 3 times now but don't make it past the 1st week. My feet ache and my legs feel heavy.

I am the exact same way and would love to know how to get past that! If I can do the cardio machine with such ease then why is it so hard to run?!