protein shakes and/or BCAA's

Options
I'm lost!!

I train free weights, circuits/crossfit, boxercise. I have been training for about 1.5 yrs and have been on my keep fit / weight loss journey for 2 years.

I have never taken any supplements. Previously I was on slimming world and have recently started MFP and calorie counting.

the problem I have (and have always had) is that I suffer really badly with pain the day after the day of my workout. I try to eat a high protein snack soon after a workout but have never taken any supplements due to their high syn value on the slimming world plan.

Now I am counting calories and have the flexibility to take a supplement I have no idea where to start. I was looking at protein and whey as I have heard of those, then someone said I'd be better with BCAAs.

Can anyine shed any light on the difference between these products and what would be best for a 42 yr old who does a mix of running, (I don't like cardio but am training for a charity race in July) circuits and free weights

thanks in advance

Karen

Replies

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you currently getting? I like BCAAs, they make me feel better during a workout. That just might be because the mix i use also has electrolytes.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    I always take a whey protein shake before and after my workout.
    before: 30 minutes prior to start workout. One banana, almond milk and one whey protein scoop.
    after: inmediately after workout, one scoop whey protein mixed with water.
    I heard BCAAs are good. I have not tried them yet.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • phogbear
    phogbear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always check examine for information on supplements. I like this site because it list the sources they use. I enjoy reading scientific papers for fun.

The only thing I take is protein powder and creatine. Since I often buy the cheap protein from walmart, I get the BCAAs and some other things I'm not really interested in. There isn't a danger. Its just my preference. Then money rears its head.

I prefer straight protein, but those are more expensive. So I rotate between the two.
  • Nightfox609
    Nightfox609 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bcaa is best taken 30min before traning followed with whey affter. For the pain I suggest Beta alanin and Citrulline malate before bcaa and whey.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, it's all really helpful. I've taken everyone's advice picked what sounds like it will fit in best with my routine. I had a long talk with a PT at the gym yesterday and learned a lot about what I can do to help with nutrition, including what to eat and when, in relation to my workout. I've also decided that I'm going to get some BCAA's for during my workout and a 100% whey protein powder (cheap and cheerful seems to be the general advice) for 20mins after my workout.

I'll give it 30 days and see if I'm still getting the DOMS!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Are we band-aiding the problem, or fixing it? What's the cause/reason for the pain you're experiencing? IME, a supplement is not the solution to pain.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The pain you are feeling is 'DOMS'.. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. This is what happens after a hard gym session and I don't know anyone who dosen't get it. If you don't then work harder !!. I take both protein and BCAA's and still have it but not to the degree I did before I supplemented. Whey protein is loaded with BCAA's so unless you are tryinfg to gain size and keep it there, then Whey powder is all you need.
    BCAA's basically stop the body going into a 'catabolic state' ie using muscle for fuel instead of fat. I take them for the simple fact I do a lot of weight lifting.
    Happy lifting
  • kindrabbit
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Are we band-aiding the problem, or fixing it? What's the cause/reason for the pain you're experiencing? IME, a supplement is not the solution to pain.

The cause of the pain is training hard. You've got to break it down to build it up. My problem is the DOMS seem to last longer than they do for everyone else! For me its not the day after leg day that hurts, it's the day after that too. either I'm raining harder than everyone else (unlikely!) or I recover slower for some reason. (probably something to do with my diet)

• kindrabbit
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    The pain you are feeling is 'DOMS'.. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. This is what happens after a hard gym session and I don't know anyone who dosen't get it. If you don't then work harder !!. I take both protein and BCAA's and still have it but not to the degree I did before I supplemented. Whey protein is loaded with BCAA's so unless you are tryinfg to gain size and keep it there, then Whey powder is all you need.
    BCAA's basically stop the body going into a 'catabolic state' ie using muscle for fuel instead of fat. I take them for the simple fact I do a lot of weight lifting.
    Happy lifting

Thanks. I've found a product with what looks like a good source of whey protein with added BCAA's. (PhD Pharma Whey HT+)

I think the main problem is that I don't get enough protein within that 20 min post workout window. I avoided shakes because I don't want to look like I'm taking myself too seriously. The alternative is to walk like I've had an 'accident' for 2 days post leg day! I think i'll go for the shake!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The cause of the pain is training hard.
    You sure? How is your lifting form?

I train hard for a couple hours at a kick, aside from a little movement soreness day after, DOMS are generally a thing of the past, even with my straight oly sessions. You don't need BCAAs, but there are some claims that it increases recovery. Try it.

Otherwise, you might just need to ensure your form is good to go, and suck it up. Considering your advanced age, you might need to spend more time on mobility, and warm up before hitting your CF session.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

The cause of the pain is training hard. You've got to break it down to build it up. My problem is the DOMS seem to last longer than they do for everyone else! For me its not the day after leg day that hurts, it's the day after that too. either I'm raining harder than everyone else (unlikely!) or I recover slower for some reason. (probably something to do with my diet)

If you are getting that that consistently, over a long period of time, from the same type of lifts/workouts... I'd start to wonder if something else was amiss.
  • dbmata
    Options

If you are getting that that consistently, over a long period of time, from the same type of lifts/workouts... I'd start to wonder if something else was amiss.
    Yup.

Also, PT for nutrition info? ruh roh.
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    DOMS can hit anywhere from a few hours to 48 hours after you've worked out. This is normal. Protein, and BCAA will help reduce it, but it will not eliminate it. Just as hydrating yourself, foam rolling, stretching, massages will also reduce and aid in recovering from DOMS, but it will not eliminate it.
    If your DOMS is so severe that it is effecting your training, perhaps discussing it with your PT may help come up with a routine that will not be as taxing on your body, so it can recover faster.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I highly doubt it- after almost 2 years of training you shouldn't be in that kind of pain.

If you're in literal pain- you need to go see a physician- not take a supplement.

Being said- when I'm achy (which I'm pretty much achy all the time)- when it's worst is when I'm in a deficit- and or I'm not getting the rest I need.

But if you have actual pain- you need to see an MD- not take a supplement.
  • dbmata
    Options
    WeaponXI wrote: »
    DOMS can hit anywhere from a few hours to 48 hours after you've worked out. This is normal. Protein, and BCAA will help reduce it, but it will not eliminate it. Just as hydrating yourself, foam rolling, stretching, massages will also reduce and aid in recovering from DOMS, but it will not eliminate it.
    If your DOMS is so severe that it is effecting your training, perhaps discussing it with your PT may help come up with a routine that will not be as taxing on your body, so it can recover faster.

After 2 years of the same regimen...

Ain't gonna be DOMS brudda.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    WeaponXI wrote: »

IT"S NOT DOMS
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Ditto...

I train hard and the only time I get serious DOMs is after a training break. If I'm training regularly I'm a little sore, but nothing like, "OMG DOMs" kind of sore...I'm always a little sore, but not anything severe.

It sounds like you're very active overall...do you take appropriate rest days and/or other periods of rest? Without rest, your recovery is going to be for *kitten*.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yo OP, what color is your urine? Rusty?
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can still get DOMS after being on the same regimen (if its based on a progression) for many years. It is how your particular body deals with the training, some are lucky to not experience it, or if so very little, others are not so fortunate.
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Instead of Nutrition have you thought about doing Epsom Salt baths? Or massage after working out? I know my gym has hydro massage tables and on days when I work out hard, I make sure to hit the table for about 10 minutes.