Substitutes for bread that don't suck?

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I cut out wheat entirely. I love bread, but once I stopped eating it I started losing weight immediately. I'd rather eat an apple for less calories than a slice of bread.

Your diary says otherwise ;) You're losing because you're clearly eating at a deficit (including still consuming wheat products--noodle soup, french bread, Belvita, etc.).

And...apples don't soak up my egg yolks as well as toast does ;)
    I cut out wheat entirely. I love bread, but once I stopped eating it I started losing weight immediately. I'd rather eat an apple for less calories than a slice of bread.

No, you didn't. Belvita biscuits have wheat.

Why are posts pointing out that food has wheat in them being flagged? Wheat is in more than just bread....
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Your diary says otherwise ;) You're losing because you're clearly eating at a deficit (including still consuming wheat products--noodle soup, french bread, Belvita, etc.).

Why are posts pointing out that food has wheat in them being flagged? Wheat is in more than just bread....

IDK, weird. Isn't it a good thing to help educate people on what foods do and do not contain? It seemed I the person I quoted may have been mistaken (as may be others). I'm glad when people teach me something I did not know, just paying it forward.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I like the Joseph's flatbreads, one giant flatbread (which yields a MEGA wrap) has the same or slightly fewer calories than a single slice of bread.

When it comes to bread eaten alone (and not as a sandwich holder)? I just make sure I get really good crusty chewy handmade bread, and I make sure I enjoy every butter slathered bite. Because, the real key is to make a few bites worth it! Those nasty grainy "sandwich thins" will never satisfy, and who the heck wants a sad and greasy burger "in the grass" aka wrapped in oil-soaked lettuce?

Eat mindfully and enjoy some well-made bread. Don't just shove it in your gob mindlessly.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I wonder who did the flagging hmmmm :/?? I'm guessing they are unaware of the forums policy on frivolous flagging of posts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Contrary03 wrote: »
    ... I also like whole wheat pita bread which is healthier than wheat tortilla's so i always opt for those. I'm not a dessert lover. I'm a bread addict so i know the dilemma... lol.

What is healthier about the pita v the tortilla?

Perhaps the lard? A traditional flour tortilla is made from flour and lard. Pitas are traditionally made either with no fat or a bit of olive oil. Lard is mostly saturated fats whereas olive oil is a mono-unsaturated fat.

If you aren't making your own from traditional recipes, the relative "healthiness" of the different ones would depend on what the manufacturer choose to put in their version so you would need to consult the nutrition panels on the packaging.

While it has a lot of saturated fat, lard actually has a higher amount of monounsaturated fat. However, the 'unhealthiness' of saturated fats really depends on the dose and your diet and risk factors as a whole (or any other ingredient for that matter).

• LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi there OP! When I first started on low carb I substituted bread with Romaine Lettuce, Kale, or Spinach. I basically turned all my sandwiches into salads and didn't miss the bread nearly as much as I thought I would.

I'm closer to my maintenance lifestyle now so I've added more carbs back in. My favorite bread is When Pigs Fly Low Carb Wheat Bread (70 calories per slice and 6 Net Carbs), I also like Cedar's Low Carb Wheat wraps (80 calories and 5 Net Carbs) and Tumaros wraps because they come in different flavors (60 calories and 6 Net Carbs). You should be able to find them in the deli area at the grocery store.

Another fun idea for the wraps is to use them as a base for a pizza. I sometimes put a wrap with a little bit of oil in a skillet and then throw on my toppings. It's a great low calorie/low carb way to satisfy a pizza craving.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I eat Aunt Millie Light potato bread 35 calorie a slice and pretty delicious to me. I could never get rid of my bread.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What's wrong with bread?

Considering it has for millennia been the go-to for keeping peasants soldiers prisoners and disciples fed and productive I would say not a thing. Just eat less. Like I said above, instead of making two or more sandwiches make a jam packed single. Just going from 4 to 2 slices can give you 200+ calories in the bank.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Contrary03 wrote: »
    ... I also like whole wheat pita bread which is healthier than wheat tortilla's so i always opt for those. I'm not a dessert lover. I'm a bread addict so i know the dilemma... lol.

What is healthier about the pita v the tortilla?

Perhaps the lard? A traditional flour tortilla is made from flour and lard. Pitas are traditionally made either with no fat or a bit of olive oil. Lard is mostly saturated fats whereas olive oil is a mono-unsaturated fat.

If you aren't making your own from traditional recipes, the relative "healthiness" of the different ones would depend on what the manufacturer choose to put in their version so you would need to consult the nutrition panels on the packaging.
    So now the obvious follow up question, what's wrong with Lard? Stay within your goal= lose weight. Regardless of the composition of those calories. There are many reasons to pick one food over another but switching breads alone will not make you lose weight.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel Bread is interesting, but I find the Sesame toasts into something like a brick. I won't be buying that again! The raisin bread version is way better. :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    lessachs wrote: »
    Bread's bad for the carb load. I may have one slice of multigrain bread a day but that's about it.

What's wrong with carbs? Unless you have a health reason to watch your intake of them, they're essential to our diet.

OP, if I want to save calories, I have whole wheat tortillas that are 80 calories. A huge difference compared to the current loaf of bread I'm eating that would add 240 calories to a sandwich.

because carbs and sugar = the devil on MFP ….

didn't you get the memo?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Open-faced sandwiches...you're welcome.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »

What is the bread substitute?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    lessachs wrote: »
    Bread's bad for the carb load. I may have one slice of multigrain bread a day but that's about it.

What's wrong with carbs? Unless you have a health reason to watch your intake of them, they're essential to our diet.

OP, if I want to save calories, I have whole wheat tortillas that are 80 calories. A huge difference compared to the current loaf of bread I'm eating that would add 240 calories to a sandwich.

because carbs and sugar = the devil on MFP ….

didn't you get the memo?

Apparently not. But my English muffin and banana this morning were delicious.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    lisalsd1 wrote: »

What is the bread substitute?

I think it's just the fact that an open faced sandwich cuts the bread calorie content in half, simply by using half the bread.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I eat bread everyday, sometimes at 2 meals and I'm losing weight at a nice rate. I do have some lower calorie versions sometime, and sometimes I just use less of a regular higher calorie bread. I do usually always make it some type of whole grain bread just because that's what I already liked before starting this. Sometimes I do open faced sandwich if it's all my calories allow.

If I know I have a higher calorie meal happening that day, sometimes I'll use corn tortillas for my breakfast to save some calories.

Not too hard to fit some bread into the day.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Since you are just looking to cut calories, I recommend whole wheat tortillas. I buy ones that are 100 calories for 1 tortilla (vs most bread is 80-150 calories per slice, two slices on a sandwich and that adds up fast!). I also like Arnold brand sandwich thins, which are 100 calories for 2 sandwich rounds. They're made with flax and don't taste gritty.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Bread has its place in a balanced diet. I eat sandwiches, toast, etc., and lose weight. I like things like tuna salad or egg salad or PBJ on rice cakes. I also like tuna or egg salad on Wasa rye crackers or Finn Crisp rye crackers.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What's wrong with bread?

OP's question is
    EveiiHere wrote: »
    Hey all!
    I was wondering if anyone has any substitutes they could share.

Thank you!

Please let's stick to the question.
  • dottyb1tchmouse
    dottyb1tchmouse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Whenever I try to limit bread for calorie reduction I'll just try to change the nature of what I'm eating -- so instead of finding a bread replacement, I eat stuff that's naturally gluten free.