Substitutes for bread that don't suck?

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP,

I like Alpine Valley Multigrain Omega 3 bread.

http://www.alpinevalleybread.com/multi-grain-omega-3.php

28 grams - 70 Calories
    Carbs - 14 grams
    Protein - 3 grams
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    lessachs wrote: »
    Bread's bad for the carb load. I may have one slice of multigrain bread a day but that's about it.

What's wrong with carbs? Unless you have a health reason to watch your intake of them, they're essential to our diet.

OP, if I want to save calories, I have whole wheat tortillas that are 80 calories. A huge difference compared to the current loaf of bread I'm eating that would add 240 calories to a sandwich.

because carbs and sugar = the devil on MFP ….

didn't you get the memo?
    HA! That's a hoot.
  • runner475
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bread's bad for the carb load. I may have one slice of multigrain bread a day but that's about it.

What's wrong with carbs? Unless you have a health reason to watch your intake of them, they're essential to our diet.

OP, if I want to save calories, I have whole wheat tortillas that are 80 calories. A huge difference compared to the current loaf of bread I'm eating that would add 240 calories to a sandwich.

didn't you get the memo?

You do realize right you are about to de-rail this thread.

Wanna talk about "Evils and Not so evils of Carbs' just make another thread.

I would suggest re-read OP's original post.

Please let's stick to their question.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why do you HAVE to substitute it? If it's a low carb diet just to lose weight and you don't expect to continue that diet for life, then any return to carbs will invariably just increase one's weight back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

How many pounds will "return" if one adds carbs back? 3? 5?
    Doesn't CICO apply?
    Depleting carbs from the system reduces storage of glycogen. When reintroducing carbs, the ratio of water to glycogen storage is 3:1. So 3lb-10lbs isn't unusual. Now while it's mostly water, it's very defeating to those who gauge a lot of their success based on what the scale says. Also mentioning that circumference of body parts will slightly increase.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    The ONLY time I worry about cutting bread out of my diet and/or substituting with lower calorie or higher nutrition/fiber alternatives is when I am nearing the bottom of a cut and want to get the body fat to a level below where I would normally realistically sustain it. In my life, that has happened once. It was kind of miserable at the end before I started a bulk.

But, alternatives: Joseph's pitas and Smart & Delicious low carb high fiber tortillas. The tortillas are an excellent source of iron as well. They don't compare to the deliciousness of corn tortillas, but they're good enough wrapped around a grilled chicken breast and some lettuce.

If your plan is to just lose weight and you're at a higher body fat, then don't worry about cutting carbs. Cut overall calories and lose the weight. Keep up a strength training and cardio program for overall health and body composition, and worry about cutting out things like bread when you want to drop the body fat at the very end, IF you even ever want to do that.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    In the UK we have a newish product "Sandwich Thins" - used to just be Warburtons but others have jumped on the bandwagon. They're 100 calories and a nice texture and flavour and ideal for making a (thin!) sandwich!! I guess I look at it that 2 slices of regular bread is about 160 calories give or take so there's a saving without feeling like I'm denying myself sandwiches.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I cut out wheat entirely. I love bread, but once I stopped eating it I started losing weight immediately. I'd rather eat an apple for less calories than a slice of bread.
    I cut out wheat entirely. I love bread, but once I stopped eating it I started losing weight immediately. I'd rather eat an apple for less calories than a slice of bread.
    In other words you reduced your calories, but much more significantly from over eating. And not all bread is high calories. A slice of bread I eat is 60 calories. A small apple is approximately 55 calories. Don't see a huge difference here.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• runner475
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, Sara Lee, Peppridge Farms, Arnolds, they all make 45 calorie breads. Sara Lee is my personal favorite of those.

And if you can't find something lower in calories then just eat less bread than you do now.

runner475 wrote: »

didn't you get the memo?

Continuously pointing out that someone is derailing a thread is basically the same thing you're complaining about.

Good Morning. I always respond to OP 1st.

Happy Monday.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Your diary says otherwise ;) You're losing because you're clearly eating at a deficit (including still consuming wheat products--noodle soup, french bread, Belvita, etc.).

And...apples don't soak up my egg yolks as well as toast does ;)

No, you didn't. Belvita biscuits have wheat.

Why are posts pointing out that food has wheat in them being flagged? Wheat is in more than just bread....

I was wondering the same thing.
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If I take a sandwich for lunch sometimes I use a sandwich bun instead of two slices of bread because it tends to have fewer calories. But it depends on the brand. Bread with more fiber will keep you fuller longer, so in theory you may need to eat less if you buy a higher-fiber option. But bread will not prevent weight loss- only a calorie surplus will do that. So just be sure to weigh your bread and enjoy in moderation!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

didn't you get the memo?

I was not aware that replying in a humorous fashion was not allowed on here..

but thanks for refereeing..

and based on your understanding of the forum rules you just violated them because you replied off topic to me..

• ndj1979
    Options

didn't you get the memo?

Apparently not. But my English muffin and banana this morning were delicious.

as was my waffle and the sugar that I *gasp* added to my coffee....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - this has already been said in this thread, but since I don't want to derail it..
    -
    calorie deficit = weight loss

unless you have some medical condition that makes you sensitive to carbs then there is no reason to limit/restrict them...

I like all kinds of bread but my go to is Arnold whole wheat for sandwiches...

not sure if you have a publix near you but they have a whole wheat bagel that comes in at about 210 calories...
  • runner475
    Options
    OP, Sara Lee, Peppridge Farms, Arnolds, they all make 45 calorie breads. Sara Lee is my personal favorite of those.

And if you can't find something lower in calories then just eat less bread than you do now.

didn't you get the memo?

Continuously pointing out that someone is derailing a thread is basically the same thing you're complaining about.

Happy Monday.
    Doesn't matter. Calling out people for derailing a thread is also derailing. Don't complain about something you are also doing.

I'll let you have the last word but I'll definitely keep this quote and this link in reference and at stand by and going forward will be used just in case if you forget your stand.
  • emadfakhoury
    emadfakhoury Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Whole meal bread is low on carbs , high on fiber . You can also add bran to your meals . That will help fill you up .
  • ndj1979
    Options

didn't you get the memo?

Happy Monday.
    Doesn't matter. Calling out people for derailing a thread is also derailing. Don't complain about something you are also doing.

I'll let you have the last word but I'll definitely keep this quote and this link in reference and at stand by and going forward will be used just in case if you forget your stand.

Lol

sounds like some is making an MFP file...
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Whenever I try to limit bread for calorie reduction I'll just try to change the nature of what I'm eating -- so instead of finding a bread replacement, I eat stuff that's naturally gluten free.

I didn't see it addressed, so just want to point out that the gluten free alternatives can sometimes be higher in calories than gluten containing products. Just because it is "gluten free" does not mean it has less calories. I know you said "natural" but some might not get that. Also- unless you have a diagnosed medical condition, gluten is not evil.