Too far gone with caffeine/pop (soda) addiction?

Options

Replies

• grandlinegirl
    grandlinegirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Switch to diet soda and then cut down on that.

I only drink diet soda

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. At one point in my early 20s drinking multiple 2 liters of mtn dew or diet pepsi a day. I did this because I had to be awake from 5 am til11pm most everyday for a least a year. Over the years I have went down quite a bit for me. We have a sodastream and I drink anout a liter a day. I am currently starting to cut down again. Only drinking in the morning then water the rest of the day. I am hoping soon to go to every other day then every 3 day so on and so forth. I also don't drink coffee. I drink Diet so even though it is no calories I know its messing with weight loss and I hate having an addiction. It is why I never smoked anything or drink more than twice a year. So it is annoying to me for a multitude of reasons.
  • grandlinegirl
    Options
    Can you switch to diet soda for awhile?

Edited my post. That's all I drink right now... I rarely drink regular soda.

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Could you switch to diet pop?

Diet pop is all I drink.

OIC. Diet soda is zero-calorie. I wouldn't worry about this at all unless there are negative consequences to your work, relationship, or health. Many people have proven they can lose weight drinking diet sodas--so long as their overall calories stayed in check. Good luck!
    Addiction is a condition that results when a person ingests a substance (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (e.g., gambling, sex, shopping) that can be pleasurable but the continued use/act of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary life responsibilities, such as work, relationships, or health.
  • grandlinegirl
    Options
    AmberSue09 wrote: »
    I am the same way. At one point in my early 20s drinking multiple 2 liters of mtn dew or diet pepsi a day. I did this because I had to be awake from 5 am til11pm most everyday for a least a year. Over the years I have went down quite a bit for me. We have a sodastream and I drink anout a liter a day. I am currently starting to cut down again. Only drinking in the morning then water the rest of the day. I am hoping soon to go to every other day then every 3 day so on and so forth. I also don't drink coffee. I drink Diet so even though it is no calories I know its messing with weight loss and I hate having an addiction. It is why I never smoked anything or drink more than twice a year. So it is annoying to me for a multitude of reasons.

I am a diet drinker as well and I know it's just as bad. I remember during those 2 weeks I quit, I lost 20+ pounds JUST from quitting the diet coke because it makes you retain water (from the salt or whatever).

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I used to go through a 2-liter bottle per day, minimum.

What worked for me was at first, I started counting my glasses/cans (this was before I started MFP and logging), then cut down every week until I got to 1 per day.

I stayed at 1 for a long time.. probably a year or so... then eventually I decided to challenge myself to no processed sugar for 30 days... which was kinda tough, but wasn't too bad. When at the end of the 30 days, I learned that I could live without soda, I was able to say no unless I really wanted it to go with a meal or such.. which now I do enjoy one about once a week, and now I actually stop and TASTE it.. enjoy it... log it, and move on.
  • alnovasad35
    alnovasad35 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you drink a certain kind of soda? Mountain Dew used to be my drink of choice! I too was/am not a coffee drinker! The second I would get up I would crack one open. I had one where ever I went. I seriously drank the stuff until I fell asleep at night, where it then rested on my night stand. I never drank water. Didn't really like the stuff! Now, I am the complete opposite! It's not easy! And I still have a soda every once and a while but here's how I did it. At first I just stopped drinking Mountain Dew. I would drink a soda but one that was my least favorite. I wouldn't buy it to have in the house. Then...I just started to cut back. 2 a day. Then, 1 a day. Then 1 a week or when I ate out. I bought a new water bottle! An Under Armour one (seriously the best water bottle EVER! Expensive...YES! But so worth it! Keeps water cold ALL DAY!). I started caring a water bottle with me where ever I went. And that was that! I do remember the headaches at the time. They lasted about a week for me. They were terrible. The only think I can say to help get you through those is it does get better! Every day you make it through the headache is one day closer to not having them. IF you cave and have a soda to help it is like taking two steps back and you have to start all over again! Headaches are gone, my complexion is better, and my gut doesn't feel like it is filled with rocks anymore! I hope this helps you both in some small way! If I can do it...ANYONE CAN! Good luck to you!
  • grandlinegirl
    Options
    Do you drink a certain kind of soda? Mountain Dew used to be my drink of choice! I too was/am not a coffee drinker! The second I would get up I would crack one open. I had one where ever I went. I seriously drank the stuff until I fell asleep at night, where it then rested on my night stand. I never drank water. Didn't really like the stuff! Now, I am the complete opposite! It's not easy! And I still have a soda every once and a while but here's how I did it. At first I just stopped drinking Mountain Dew. I would drink a soda but one that was my least favorite. I wouldn't buy it to have in the house. Then...I just started to cut back. 2 a day. Then, 1 a day. Then 1 a week or when I ate out. I bought a new water bottle! An Under Armour one (seriously the best water bottle EVER! Expensive...YES! But so worth it! Keeps water cold ALL DAY!). I started caring a water bottle with me where ever I went. And that was that! I do remember the headaches at the time. They lasted about a week for me. They were terrible. The only think I can say to help get you through those is it does get better! Every day you make it through the headache is one day closer to not having them. IF you cave and have a soda to help it is like taking two steps back and you have to start all over again! Headaches are gone, my complexion is better, and my gut doesn't feel like it is filled with rocks anymore! I hope this helps you both in some small way! If I can do it...ANYONE CAN! Good luck to you!

Switching to a kind I don't really like is a good suggestion. I'm a straight cola drinker (Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero etc.) so switching to something else would probably make me want to stop, lol.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you stop looking at it as "addiction" - something that has power over you, and think of it as a habit - something that you can change, things will feel easier.

The only way to change a habit is to replace it with another, be it cold turkey or very slowly and gradually, like designating a certain hour where you are only allowed to drink water and gradually increase the time period until you are down to consuming only 2 sodas a day or any other number you deem acceptable.

Since the cold turkey method did not work for you, try the gradual method and see how it goes.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is my lack of support. My parents aren't supportive at all. Just yesterday we went out shopping and my dad threw some pop into the cart (I'm the only one in the house that drinks it). I said I didn't need it and he said he might feel like one, and he was paying so he got it. We also went for lunch yesterday and I purposely brought a water. When we were ordering the lady asked if we wanted a drink and he said, yeah, give her a pop!

Sounds like its time to get your own place.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Switching to a kind I don't really like is a good suggestion. I'm a straight cola drinker (Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero etc.) so switching to something else would probably make me want to stop, lol.
    If you want to switch to something for the caffeine but is literally vile try Walgreen's brand diet coke. It is the most disgusting thing in the world. I actually might try this method as well because it might actually work.
  • grandlinegirl
    Options
    AmberSue09 wrote: »

If you want to switch to something for the caffeine but is literally vile try Walgreen's brand diet coke. It is the most disgusting thing in the world. I actually might try this method as well because it might actually work.

I'm in Canada and we don't have Walgreen's! I don't know if it would change it, haha. I regularly drink the 'lesser' store brands because it's cheaper.

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If it's the caffeine that's causing you to reach for it then try diet soda or Mio. Either way it will be a zero calorie fix for the caffeine. Then you can start to cut back on the alternatives when you feel the need to.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I've tried to fight it. I've gone about 2 weeks without drinking a pop and in that time I only drank water... The headaches/sickness that came with it was horrible and I eventually gave in again just to get away from it. Nothing took it away.
    Then don't do that. Weight management doesn't require drastic changes to your diet such as eliminating entire foods or food groups--you only need to ensure your calorie intake is below your calorie output. Extreme diets and feeling denied often lead to binge cycles.
    My parents aren't supportive at all. (I'm the only one in the house that drinks it). I said I didn't need it and he said he might feel like one, and he was paying so he got it.
    Their house.. so they're supporting you financially? That's hugely supportive, and a big load off your shoulders. I agree the person paying the rent/mortgage should be able to put what they want into the fridge. You, of course, have the choice how quickly those cans go into your tummy.
    When we were ordering the lady asked if we wanted a drink and he said, yeah, give her a pop! I'm starting to get depressed. I don't know how to fight this.
    Option #1: "I really just want water", and if the soda is served, set it to the side of the table.

Option #2: Drink the soda. 12oz of soda won't ruin your calories for the day, and I assume you don't eat at restaurants everyday--which would be more worrying than soda.

For the record, I drank a Sam Pellegrino blood orange, a Simply Lime, and two Manhattans yesterday and met my calorie, protein, and fiber targets. My weight loss and fitness are coming along marvelously! And I want "tasty" to be part of my new life. :)

I agree with the above. I am a diet soda drinker. I like the way it tastes and I enjoy it. I drink it with most meals, including breakfast sometimes. (I do drink water in between meals and when I am working out) I've lost 84 pounds. I have no intention of stopping my diet soda "habit" anytime soon.

Unless you have a health problem that is directly attributed to your diet soda consumption, I don't understand why you are so concerned with it. If you enjoy drinking diet soda and it's not causing health problems, then it seems like trying to STOP drinking it is causing more stress than it needs to.
  • grandlinegirl
    Options
    I think part of the problem is my lack of support. My parents aren't supportive at all. Just yesterday we went out shopping and my dad threw some pop into the cart (I'm the only one in the house that drinks it). I said I didn't need it and he said he might feel like one, and he was paying so he got it. We also went for lunch yesterday and I purposely brought a water. When we were ordering the lady asked if we wanted a drink and he said, yeah, give her a pop!

Sounds like its time to get your own place.

Agreed. I wish I could but with me in school full time (and a lot of classes that go until after 5pm), I'm only working 8-12 hours a week to keep up with my course load. Can't move out on that! Once I'm done school I'm hoping I can get a full time job and do that.

• grandlinegirl
    Options
    I've tried to fight it. I've gone about 2 weeks without drinking a pop and in that time I only drank water... The headaches/sickness that came with it was horrible and I eventually gave in again just to get away from it. Nothing took it away.
    Then don't do that. Weight management doesn't require drastic changes to your diet such as eliminating entire foods or food groups--you only need to ensure your calorie intake is below your calorie output. Extreme diets and feeling denied often lead to binge cycles.
    My parents aren't supportive at all. (I'm the only one in the house that drinks it). I said I didn't need it and he said he might feel like one, and he was paying so he got it.
    Their house.. so they're supporting you financially? That's hugely supportive, and a big load off your shoulders. I agree the person paying the rent/mortgage should be able to put what they want into the fridge. You, of course, have the choice how quickly those cans go into your tummy.
    When we were ordering the lady asked if we wanted a drink and he said, yeah, give her a pop! I'm starting to get depressed. I don't know how to fight this.
    Option #1: "I really just want water", and if the soda is served, set it to the side of the table.

Option #2: Drink the soda. 12oz of soda won't ruin your calories for the day, and I assume you don't eat at restaurants everyday--which would be more worrying than soda.

For the record, I drank a Sam Pellegrino blood orange, a Simply Lime, and two Manhattans yesterday and met my calorie, protein, and fiber targets. My weight loss and fitness are coming along marvelously! And I want "tasty" to be part of my new life. :)

I agree with the above. I am a diet soda drinker. I like the way it tastes and I enjoy it. I drink it with most meals, including breakfast sometimes. (I do drink water in between meals and when I am working out) I've lost 84 pounds. I have no intention of stopping my diet soda "habit" anytime soon.

Unless you have a health problem that is directly attributed to your diet soda consumption, I don't understand why you are so concerned with it. If you enjoy drinking diet soda and it's not causing health problems, then it seems like trying to STOP drinking it is causing more stress than it needs to.

I do get heartburn after drinking them. I thought it was attributed to the meds I was on as they can cause heartburn but I've been off them for a while now... so I think it's the pop doing it.

• katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I tried the water before soda and limiting number ofcans tricks, but all I did was get dehydrated. I had to give up cold turkey in order to teach myself to be willing to drink other things. Milk and sweet tea were important transition items in the beginning because I needed flavor, even if I was still missing the bubbles. After awhile, I slowly cut down the sugar in my tea and added fruit to my water.

After six months, I gave in and tried soda again and realized how hard it was on my throat. Instead of continuing to drink it, I decided that if soda hurt my throat that much, it definitely wasn't something I needed back in my life. That's when I knew that I was finally over it.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    How about replacing one or two with bubbly water? It's still cold and bubbly and refreshing, but it won't have the sweetness and caffeine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am a very conservative eater; I did not start drinking alcohol until I was in my forties and it still is a just drink or two a year. It's kind of fun to watch when health providers are filling out my personal health history and this is covered, and I say "One or two drinks..." their pencil raised, "a year". And sighing, they put their pencil back down. Sorry to disappoint. No deep, dark addictions lurking here.

I never took up smoking so it would be dumb to start now. And I think coffee is bitter. Don't even talk to me about the wide range of psychotropics. I dread losing control.

When I was diagnosed diabetic, I gave up most sweets. Later, I curtailed my salt intake.

I used to say however, that they would have to peel the diet Pepsi out of my cold, dead hands. I've got one vice, goshdarnit, and you aren't taking it from me!

One of the "rules" for post bariatric patients is "no pop". I assume this is because the bubble action can be very hard on the new stomach. No guzzling!

But I found a way. Within a month of surgery, I had my first diet pop, 225 ml I believe, on a hot August afternoon. Sipping slowly, I was able to finish it in about three hours with no ill effects. It still takes me about as long. Hubby's gotten used to putting my partially finished (and flat) pop can back in the refrigerator to be worked on again the next day.

I guess I am saying is soda, especially diet soda, really all that bad? In context of the entire diet, small pleasures are allowed.
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I drank 3 liters or more of coke every day one summer when I worked outside in the heat and humidity of New Orleans. When I tried to stop I got the shakes (don't recall headaches) if I didn't have a coke before 10 AM. I forced myself to slowly cut back by using smaller glasses and ice. I have been drinking 2 or 3 10 oz glasses a day for a while and occasionally go with only 1. My problem is I don't drink anything other than coke and milk (my favorite drink but it bothers my stomach some). Water sometimes causes me to choke (yes it's probably a mental thing!) You can do it.