Too far gone with caffeine/pop (soda) addiction?

Options

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I see the problem is most ppl dont see pop having the same bad effects on your health as say smoking or beinf an alcoholic. It can and does have a lot of bad things. I mean the chemicals alone are enough to realize it is bad for you. The acid can and does eat away at your stomach and esophagus. The sugar ot sugar subsitute can be brutal on your kidneys. It is not just well its diet so why not. I know all these things and still have a hard time stopping so it is my only addiction.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @AmberSue09 , I've looked at the concerns regarding aspartame and frankly, they are unjustified. Soda is not a chemical-laden poison-fest. It's a refreshing drink.

I see you used "acid" as another detractor. Orange Juice has a pH of 3.5. Diet Pepsi, 2.49. Therefore Diet Pepsi is better for you than Orange Juice. Unless of course, "acidity" is something else we don't have to worry about.
  • brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've never tried illegal drugs, but I imagine the feeling I get from Mt Dew is similar to heroin. Seriously. When I realized how much I thought I "needed" it I decided I had to quit. Cold turkey sucked, but I can tell you now that I haven't had any in over two months I feel a heck of a lot better. You just have to decide. Even if your parents bring pop into the house you can choose not to drink it.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I rarely see someone chugging 2 liters of oj a day everyday. I said chemicals I didn't mention aspartame because I was not talking about aspartame. If you want to keep drinking pop that is perfectly fine but, to say it is harmless as water than you are kidding yourself.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    brookesdsu wrote: »
    I've never tried illegal drugs, but I imagine the feeling I get from Mt Dew is similar to heroin. Seriously. When I realized how much I thought I "needed" it I decided I had to quit. Cold turkey sucked, but I can tell you now that I haven't had any in over two months I feel a heck of a lot better. You just have to decide. Even if your parents bring pop into the house you can choose not to drink it.

sorry but mountain dew does not equal heroin ...

unless you blew your life savings on mountain dew and ended up homeless squatting in foreclosed homes in the projects of some random city...
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I mostly gave up soda in high school, by allowing myself to have soda, anytime I went out, but only if they restaurant served Barqs Root Beer. Most places don't. So, if they did, I could get any soda I wanted. But, then I grew up and got my own place, and built up a hell of a Mountain Dew addiction. Eventually, I had 2 kids, full time school (accelerated course load) and 2 jobs. I lived off Mountain Dew, otherwise I'd about fall asleep standing up. When i met my husband, I'm not sure he saw me without a Mt Dew in my hand for the first couple years. I eventually decided I needed to give it up. And, I just did. I looked up negative health effects of Mt Dew whenever I wanted one. I didn't really care how credible the source was, I just wanted a deterrent. That was enough. I haven't had a Mt Dew since Nov. 2011

This past summer, Pepsi Max took the place of Mt Dew. I drank soooo much, every day. I kind of felt jittery when I had it after awhile. In Oct. my legs went completely numb. Then my face. I was trying to see why, and diet soda was something that kept coming up. So, i stopped. A couple weeks later I found out I had MS. Did the same thing as with Mt Dew, looked up horror stories and didn't try to find contrary evidence. Asked the Dr about a link between soda and MS, and he said one hadn't been definitely proven, but he'd never heard of anyone whose health got worse when they stopped drinking soda, so, go for it. I went from 6-7 Pepsi Max a day to absolutely none. No soda at all, actually since November of last year.

I know quitting cold turkey is really hard. The headaches are miserable. But, they do go away. If I had less motivation to quit, I think I would have went back to what I did in high school, set myself "rules" on when I could have soda. Only out to eat. Only if they also serve *this*, etc.
  • brookesdsu
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I didn't say that Mt. Dew WAS heroin. I said the way I felt about it was what I imagined it would be like for someone who was on heroin.
  • ndj1979
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I didn't say that Mt. Dew WAS heroin. I said the way I felt about it was what I imagined it would be like for someone who was on heroin.

so you equated mountain dew to heroin, correct?
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to easily drink close to 2 liters of soda a day, and if I didn't have it the headaches the worst. What I did was take baby steps. I slowly added sparkling flavored water and plain water with Mio. I very, very slowly increased the plain water with Mio and decreased the soda and sparkling water. I took it day by day and knew it would take months to get it under control. Then my goal was to decrease the amount of Mio I was using. Now, almost a year latter I drink mostly plain water and will still order sodas when we eat out or if I need a little bump in the early afternoon. My morning caffeine comes from Tazo Chai Tea, it has a wonderful spice combo that, I think, hides the tea flavor. You could also try Tazo Zen, I think, it's an herbal/green tea with spearmint and peppermint. That one is a nice calming stress reliever.

The trick is that you can't change your dad's behavior, but you could try putting the soda he insists he buys out of sight. If you are the only one drinking it, be the only one who puts it into the fridge and only keep one in the fridge at a time.

It's going to be tough, but with a little will power and baby steps, you can do it!
  • brookesdsu
    Options
    I equated the feeling of "needing" Mt Dew. And I'm out.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I equated the feeling of "needing" Mt Dew. And I'm out.

so the feeling of needing a mountain dew is the same that a heroin junkie gets...? got ya...
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain although I drink regular caffeine free coke.

I WAS drinking a 2Liter a day of reg. which amounted to 840cal/day and the sugar grams were just maddening to think about.

I limit it to 2 a day max. Sometimes I have one soda and sometimes none.

• Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I used to be like you - but not with the diets, with regular sodas. I had to get off caffeine (back on now) but for a while there, my doctor thought caffeine was causing migraines, so I had to eliminate it from my diet for about 3 years. The headaches can be bad, but here is how I did it:

1)Don't go cold turkey. That was too rough for me. Instead, I reduced by 20% a week, for 5 weeks straight. So if you drink 5 sodas a day, limit yourself to only drinking 4. If you only drink 1 soda, limit yourself to 4/5 of the bottle/can.

2)Find a good replacement. I wanted to get off pop completely, so I started mixing fruit juice or roses lime I like with seltzer. When I started, I was probably doing about 2/3 glass of juice, 1/3 glass of seltzer. Over about 6 months, I continued to reduce the sugar part and increase the seltzer. Now, about 15 years later, I LOVE seltzer. It's my go to. But it didn't happen overnight. I let my taste buds adjust over a long period of time. And now I love it. Adding fruit juice now feels like a special treat:) Oh and I have zero desire to have soda. I maybe have 1 a year if the modd strikes me just right.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    How about replacing one or two with bubbly water? It's still cold and bubbly and refreshing, but it won't have the sweetness and caffeine.

Yeah, I feel like cutting down gradually might be in OP's best interest.

Why not figure out the average amount of pop you drink in a day, and then try to drink one less can a week or something. It's not like it's full of sugar and detrimental to your health, so take your time.

• ceevee6
    ceevee6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me, I try to think about what I enjoy about the food that I crave and see if I can translate that into a healthier option.
    What I liked about pop is the carbonation and refreshed feeling I get after drinking it. I noticed that with flavored, carbonated water (like LaCroix), I get the refreshed bubbliness without the sugar or calories. I like the fruit flavor and don't even miss the sugar. (I had a major sweet tooth growing up. Also, both my parents becoming diabetic was a major wake-up call for me.) Admittedly, me not consuming any soda (regular or diet) did take a few years but once you go off of it for a while and control your sugar consumption, you actually realize HOW cloyingly sweet these drinks are and can't go back to drinking it regularly.

Start with seltzer water and put in Crystal Lite or try the dozens of flavored enhanced, low-sugar, seltzer water that are out. Try it once a day and go from there. You can do it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I stopped my coke addiction by switching to flavored seltzer and coffee. It was actually much easier than I thought... and I had been drinking 1-2 cokes a day for 15 years.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've tried to fight it. I've gone about 2 weeks without drinking a pop and in that time I only drank water... The headaches/sickness that came with it was horrible and I eventually gave in again just to get away from it. Nothing took it away.
    Then don't do that. Weight management doesn't require drastic changes to your diet such as eliminating entire foods or food groups--you only need to ensure your calorie intake is below your calorie output. Extreme diets and feeling denied often lead to binge cycles.
    My parents aren't supportive at all. (I'm the only one in the house that drinks it). I said I didn't need it and he said he might feel like one, and he was paying so he got it.
    Their house.. so they're supporting you financially? That's hugely supportive, and a big load off your shoulders. I agree the person paying the rent/mortgage should be able to put what they want into the fridge. You, of course, have the choice how quickly those cans go into your tummy.
    When we were ordering the lady asked if we wanted a drink and he said, yeah, give her a pop! I'm starting to get depressed. I don't know how to fight this.
    Option #1: "I really just want water", and if the soda is served, set it to the side of the table.

Option #2: Drink the soda. 12oz of soda won't ruin your calories for the day, and I assume you don't eat at restaurants everyday--which would be more worrying than soda.

For the record, I drank a Sam Pellegrino blood orange, a Simply Lime, and two Manhattans yesterday and met my calorie, protein, and fiber targets. My weight loss and fitness are coming along marvelously! And I want "tasty" to be part of my new life. :)

I agree with the above. I am a diet soda drinker. I like the way it tastes and I enjoy it. I drink it with most meals, including breakfast sometimes. (I do drink water in between meals and when I am working out) I've lost 84 pounds. I have no intention of stopping my diet soda "habit" anytime soon.

Unless you have a health problem that is directly attributed to your diet soda consumption, I don't understand why you are so concerned with it. If you enjoy drinking diet soda and it's not causing health problems, then it seems like trying to STOP drinking it is causing more stress than it needs to.

I do get heartburn after drinking them. I thought it was attributed to the meds I was on as they can cause heartburn but I've been off them for a while now... so I think it's the pop doing it.

Just because someone is not getting ill right now from diet soda doesn't mean it may not be causing long term damage. I know "the jury is still out" on the harmfulness of artificial sweeteners but personally I think erring on the side of caution and avoiding them is best. Plus there are other things in soda that pull calcium from your bones, etc. It sounds like left to your own devices you are fine with drinking water. I haven't drank soda accept maybe the RARE ginger ale with wiskey (we're talking like once a year) in about 7 years. Once you get off soda you really don't miss it. Try switching to healthy probiotic beverages like water kefir "soda" and kombucha if you need something fizzy and a little sweet. Don't let anyone tell you that getting off soda is a bad thing, including the diet stuff. It's about more than just the calories. Good luck!
  • CamoGirl1985
    CamoGirl1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks that are saying not to go cold-turkey. This will set you up for the nasty withdrawal symptoms it sounds like you already had to deal with once. I am a little on the OCD side, but if I was in this situation I might make a plan of attack on how to cut down. I would try printing a 6 month calendar (or longer/shorter) and each day I would list the amount of sodas I was going to allow myself to drink. Say for example, week one would be 6 a day. Every time you consume one, you would strike it off on that day of the calendar. This would also help you keep track of how many you actually have. Then, on week two you could allow yourself to have 5 a day and strike them off as you consume them. You could do this for however long or short you want. Then gradually take it down to only a couple a day. Hope that might help give you ideas on how to tackle this. It is great that you have the desire to change.... It will be really hard, but your health will thank you in the long run! Good luck! :)
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I read a comment on here while I was looking for tips and it said something along the lines of... 'Is anyone really that far gone that they drink soda for breakfast?'

Yes. Yes, I am... and I feel like crap for it :(

I used to be that way also. In high school and college, I drank Diet Mt Dew every morning, along with my standard breakfast of chewy chips ahoy cookies. :( Sadly, it never crossed my mind that this was a bad way to live. I don't do that now, and haven't for decades. If I can stop, so can you. Honestly, I just made up my mind to cut back, and you can too.

Other people gave great practical advice about adding in more water, and ways to cut back. I just wanted to let you know that I was "that far gone" and returned to real life. LOL. And you can bet that my kids have limited access to soda and aren't allowed cookies for breakfast. ;)
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have gone through varying periods of caffeine addiction. I once got off caffeine in college by cutting it out at the same time I came down with the flu, so I could feel the pain all at once - which did actually work for awhile. I currently drink pop now, but I moved from regular to diet, and I also drink water. I know you can drink moderate amounts of regular pop and still be in a deficit, but I would rather not drink my calories (unless I occasionally want something from Starbucks - but very rarely).

If you're wanting to quit pop for the sake of weight loss, why not switch to diet or low-sugar pop? It takes some getting used to, but once you do, regular pop will taste like sugar water. Find the ones you like most. I prefer Dr. Pepper 10 and Coke Zero - it depends on your personal preference.

About your living situation - just because it's there doesn't mean you have to drink it, or drink it all at once. I don't live with my parents, but I live with my DH who is not counting his calories and will eat and drink high-calorie items, so regular pop, candy, etc., are all in my kitchen. Just because I choose to eat differently doesn't mean he has to. At the same time - if you're eating out, speak up and tell the server what you want, why is your dad ordering your drink for you?