Substitutes for bread that don't suck?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Whenever I try to limit bread for calorie reduction I'll just try to change the nature of what I'm eating -- so instead of finding a bread replacement, I eat stuff that's naturally gluten free.

I didn't see it addressed, so just want to point out that the gluten free alternatives can sometimes be higher in calories than gluten containing products. Just because it is "gluten free" does not mean it has less calories. I know you said "natural" but some might not get that. Also- unless you have a diagnosed medical condition, gluten is not evil.

Further derailing the topic, I think the other poster meant that rather than eating one of the gluten free breads, she'd do something like a lettuce wrap or use a food that naturally did not contain gluten like a corn tortilla. A lot of long-term celiacs become increasingly disillusioned with the quality of gluten free substitutes and tend to gravitate towards this strategy.

When I was first diagnosed, I was all about all the substitutes, and back then, I had to order all the flours online and bake my own. Now? There's a world of naturally gluten-free cuisine out there, and it's all delicious. It's not a pale imitation of something that I remember it being. It's all it's supposed to be. I'd rather eat that kind of food.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Whenever I try to limit bread for calorie reduction I'll just try to change the nature of what I'm eating -- so instead of finding a bread replacement, I eat stuff that's naturally gluten free.

I didn't see it addressed, so just want to point out that the gluten free alternatives can sometimes be higher in calories than gluten containing products. Just because it is "gluten free" does not mean it has less calories. I know you said "natural" but some might not get that. Also- unless you have a diagnosed medical condition, gluten is not evil.

Further derailing the topic, I think the other poster meant that rather than eating one of the gluten free breads, she'd do something like a lettuce wrap or use a food that naturally did not contain gluten like a corn tortilla. A lot of long-term celiacs become increasingly disillusioned with the quality of gluten free substitutes and tend to gravitate towards this strategy.

When I was first diagnosed, I was all about all the substitutes, and back then, I had to order all the flours online and bake my own. Now? There's a world of naturally gluten-free cuisine out there, and it's all delicious. It's not a pale imitation of something that I remember it being. It's all it's supposed to be. I'd rather eat that kind of food.

I often find that food trying to imitate other food (whether a low cal or low carb version, vegan version of meat, or even krab) is just never as good as the real stuff. If I absolutely can't have it for whatever reason, it's better to find something else than to settle for an imitation.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I often find that food trying to imitate other food (whether a low cal or low carb version, vegan version of meat, or even krab) is just never as good as the real stuff. If I absolutely can't have it for whatever reason, it's better to find something else than to settle for an imitation.

For me, it depends. Sometimes I like the sub (cauliflower fried rice, for example) on its own merits. It's not a fried rice sub; it's a tasty cauliflower dish. But bread and pizza just can't be duplicated.

There is one gluten free version of something that ended up being better than the original, and that's Trader Joe's Jo-Jo's. This is according to my husband. He says the texture of the GF version is better.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    We cannot recommend bread substitutes without knowing WHY the OP wants to sub it out. Do they have celiac or a wheat allergy? Are they just trying to make a sandwich but want a lower calorie "wrapper?" Did some yay-hoo on Dr. Oz announce that Yeast carries bad juju because it's a living organism?

Recommendations will differ for the OP depending on the REASON for the bread substitute. The Joseph's flatbreads that I mentioned on page 1 contain wheat flour...so if OP were asking because of an allergy or celiac, then I gave a poor answer. Absent any explanation, I defaulted to just assuming a desire to lower the calories.

Asking WHY isn't derailing. It's getting necessary information to give the OP a reasonable answer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Due to my (bariatric) surgery I do not tolerate soft breads very well, and that used to be my go-to food. I have a slice or two a day, and I've picked a dense loaf (pumpernickel) which seems to suit me better. I also have a lot of crackers on hand (Finn crisp, Wasa) for when nothing but that dry/crunch will do. I eat a burger open-faced, skipping half the bread.

To give you an idea how much less bread I eat, I now store it in the freezer and take out one slice at a time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    We cannot recommend bread substitutes without knowing WHY the OP wants to sub it out. Do they have celiac or a wheat allergy? Are they just trying to make a sandwich but want a lower calorie "wrapper?" Did some yay-hoo on Dr. Oz announce that Yeast carries bad juju because it's a living organism?

Recommendations will differ for the OP depending on the REASON for the bread substitute. The Joseph's flatbreads that I mentioned on page 1 contain wheat flour...so if OP were asking because of an allergy or celiac, then I gave a poor answer. Absent any explanation, I defaulted to just assuming a desire to lower the calories.

Asking WHY isn't derailing. It's getting necessary information to give the OP a reasonable answer.

She did state she just wanted to reduce calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    By the way, nearly all the bread or gluten-free "substitutes" I find are just gross. It is easier for me to reduce portion size.

I include here the Weight Watchers one point bread, which does not have enough substance to hold a decent sandwich together.

Better to use a six inch burrito shell and take the hit on the higher calories.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just ditched the 2nd piece of bread on a sandwich. 60 cals for one piece, which is the serving size, Sara Lee classic whole wheat. But my fave is a hearty sourdough rye, seedless, that follows my dad's guideline of "if you press your thumb into real bread, it won't leave a print." Not easy to find, but worth it, and, imo, more filling and substantial per slice.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

I think she's addressing the person who claims the thread is being derailed by people asking questions. There seem to be people here who think you Just Answer The Question without trying to find out why the OP is asking it in the first place. Which is problematic because if you don't know where they're coming from, you can end up giving really crappy advice. But some people think asking the OP clarifying questions is, like, rude and crazy and why would you do that? Just Answer The Original Question!

And frankly I don't get that.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

OK, that's what I thought. So, the various low-calorie wraps were potentially useful suggestions, Ezekiel bread was not, as it has actually MORE calories in most varieties than a basic whole wheat bread per slice.

And, as I said, while some people might not enjoy a snarky tone, I hardly think it's derailing to ask WHY OP wants to substitute something for a staple like bread. All too often people worry that they need to cut out standard food and don't even stop to think that the food they are replacing might actually be the best choice. (Like the "don't eat ice cream, eat a frozen banana whipped with chocolate syrup and a spoonful of peanutbutter!" advice that basically has the eater taking in more calories than if they'd just have the damned ice cream.)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is Sara Lee Delightful wheat bread. 45 calories per slice, 90 per serving. I also like sandwich thins and Thomas light english muffins.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    OK, that's what I thought. So, the various low-calorie wraps were potentially useful suggestions, Ezekiel bread was not, as it has actually MORE calories in most varieties than a basic whole wheat bread per slice.

I actually find Ezekiel bread to be helpful in limiting calories. It is certainly edible, and when toasted is a great vehicle for toppings, but it isn't so yummy that I would want to eat any more than necessary. LOL. I pretty much eat what I need to help reach fiber goals, but have never felt tempted to eat more than I had planned. ;)
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is Sara Lee Delightful wheat bread. 45 calories per slice, 90 per serving. I also like sandwich thins and Thomas light english muffins.

My bread is similar: Nickles Light Wheat bread - 35 calories per slice, 70 per serving. I love it.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Lefty1290 wrote: »

My bread is similar: Nickles Light Wheat bread - 35 calories per slice, 70 per serving. I love it.

I've never seen that before. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, Sara Lee, Peppridge Farms, Arnolds, they all make 45 calorie breads. Sara Lee is my personal favorite of those.

And if you can't find something lower in calories then just eat less bread than you do now.

ndj1979 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    lessachs wrote: »
    Bread's bad for the carb load. I may have one slice of multigrain bread a day but that's about it.

What's wrong with carbs? Unless you have a health reason to watch your intake of them, they're essential to our diet.

OP, if I want to save calories, I have whole wheat tortillas that are 80 calories. A huge difference compared to the current loaf of bread I'm eating that would add 240 calories to a sandwich.

because carbs and sugar = the devil on MFP ….

didn't you get the memo?

You do realize right you are about to de-rail this thread.

Wanna talk about "Evils and Not so evils of Carbs' just make another thread.

I would suggest re-read OP's original post.

Please let's stick to their question.
    Continuously pointing out that someone is derailing a thread is basically the same thing you're complaining about.

Good Morning. I always respond to OP 1st.

Happy Monday.
    Doesn't matter. Calling out people for derailing a thread is also derailing. Don't complain about something you are also doing.

I'll let you have the last word but I'll definitely keep this quote and this link in reference and at stand by and going forward will be used just in case if you forget your stand.

giphy.gif
  • ana3067
    Options
    Btw I eat the gluten free alternatives. Stone brands taste gross, many don't. Udis, kinnikinnick, silver hills, and Dempster s all have breads that taste just like normal bread to me. A local Safeway brand also make a good gluten free bread. None are calorie saving and most are also small due to not being as airy.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Btw I eat the gluten free alternatives. Stone brands taste gross, many don't. Udis, kinnikinnick, silver hills, and Dempster s all have breads that taste just like normal bread to me. A local Safeway brand also make a good gluten free bread. None are calorie saving and most are also small due to not being as airy.

Horses for courses, but they don't... ACT they same way gluten-y bread does. GF bread doesn't sop up egg yolk the same way gluten bread does :smile: . Udi's tastes fine, but a lot of the times for me, it's not worth the calories because it's not going to do what I want it to do. I usually only eat it when I'm not feeling well and just want toast.

Bear in mind, I was diagnosed with celiac a LONG time ago, and it's taken me years to get to the point where I've decided I'd just as soon go without the subs more often than not. I like my egg yolks spilling over sauteed greens now.

• laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I had bread with peanut butter and strawberries for breakfast this morning but after reading this thread tomorrow's breakfast will consist of a WAFFLE with peanut butter and strawberries (maybe banana - not sure) ... So excited for breakfast now!!! :smile:

As for your question OP - I have found that whole wheat tortillas are a good lower calorie substitute for bread. If you want bread, the sandwich thins are a good option.
  • ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    OP, Sara Lee, Peppridge Farms, Arnolds, they all make 45 calorie breads. Sara Lee is my personal favorite of those.

And if you can't find something lower in calories then just eat less bread than you do now.

ndj1979 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    lessachs wrote: »
    Bread's bad for the carb load. I may have one slice of multigrain bread a day but that's about it.

What's wrong with carbs? Unless you have a health reason to watch your intake of them, they're essential to our diet.

OP, if I want to save calories, I have whole wheat tortillas that are 80 calories. A huge difference compared to the current loaf of bread I'm eating that would add 240 calories to a sandwich.

because carbs and sugar = the devil on MFP ….

didn't you get the memo?

You do realize right you are about to de-rail this thread.

Wanna talk about "Evils and Not so evils of Carbs' just make another thread.

I would suggest re-read OP's original post.

Please let's stick to their question.
    Continuously pointing out that someone is derailing a thread is basically the same thing you're complaining about.

Good Morning. I always respond to OP 1st.

Happy Monday.
    Doesn't matter. Calling out people for derailing a thread is also derailing. Don't complain about something you are also doing.

I'll let you have the last word but I'll definitely keep this quote and this link in reference and at stand by and going forward will be used just in case if you forget your stand.

giphy.gif

Yea. I don't even know what she was trying to say. It made so little sense I didn't even bother.

She's going to use it next time you derail a thread I'm guessing. Scurry.