Used fitness clothing....yes or no?

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Eww. I know what I do to those clothes. No way.

1) I am always commando under my workout clothes.

2) The only reason I ever part with mine is because they fall apart.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    i don't see a problem as long as it's not over stretched/worn and stained. i recently just bought a nike running jacket that would have normally been 40-60 dollars, for like 5 dollars at goodwill. if that's gross, then i'm disgusting lol

No, that's not gross at all. That is good shopping. That is the kind of thing I do, and I buy clothes (regular) from consignment shops frequently. However, when it comes to workout gear, I've found specific styles and brands that work for me and are cheap, so I buy new, on clearance. Something about the "sweat factor" for me mainly because I sweat a lot when I work out. But, to each their own.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Ok a jacket would be okay.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    used clothes... fitness clothes... some people have a hard time walking into a dressing room to change into their own clothes let alone previously worn clothes... I'd say this is a non-starter...
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    In jan I bought some new yoga shorts (for hot yoga) and within the month and a half that i've owned them i've lost so much weight i cant wear them. i wore each pair all of twice due to all the snow & ice we've gotten i havent been able to go that often. that blows since they were $35 each. i dont know what to do with them since i cant return them, and i had the same thought that no one is going to want them. i had to buy all new workout gear because of the weight loss, and i'm still not done losing so i know i'm going to have to do it again...
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Ehhhhhhhh no.

jyogit wrote: »
    would you wear used underwear? … same thing as used sportswear i'd guess
    ^This. Especially since a lot of people don't wear underwear in their workout gear

Yep, guilty as charged. Nothing is comfortable under compression tights. Commando, yo.

Yup, same.

i don't see a problem as long as it's not over stretched/worn and stained. i recently just bought a nike running jacket that would have normally been 40-60 dollars, for like 5 dollars at goodwill. if that's gross, then i'm disgusting lol

A running jacket I would buy use but that's about it
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    In jan I bought some new yoga shorts (for hot yoga) and within the month and a half that i've owned them i've lost so much weight i cant wear them. i wore each pair all of twice due to all the snow & ice we've gotten i havent been able to go that often. that blows since they were $35 each. i dont know what to do with them since i cant return them, and i had the same thought that no one is going to want them. i had to buy all new workout gear because of the weight loss, and i'm still not done losing so i know i'm going to have to do it again...

Clearance rack at TJ Maxx/Target
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have some friends who are very serious competitors in Ironman competitions.....they do not stop to use the bathroom when riding their bikes, they just stand up and go. So......I would have to say NO to purchasing used sportswear :s
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

This is why I only bought cheap stuff from Walmart, preferably on clearance, lol. Once I get to my goal weight then I will buy myself some nice quality workout clothes.

I may buy a pair of padded bicycle shorts now though, because it's been suggested as a real help for spin class survival. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have bought and sold used fitness clothing on ebay. Of course I wash it as soon as it arrives... No problems in the least.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    no. but, i do hate that workout stuff can be so expensive.

Not sure where you're located, but JC Penny has a line of workout clothing, Xersion, and it is reasonable and very durable. I just wait for sales and clearance racks and get pants (spandex capris, cute) for less than $15.00.

Also, shockingly, I get my tank tops from the dollar store. They are Mix&Co. (never heard of the brand, nor have I seen it elsewhere), seamless, tagless, and do not fade and I get them for $3.00 each!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    I have some friends who are very serious competitors in Ironman competitions.....they do not stop to use the bathroom when riding their bikes, they just stand up and go. So......I would have to say NO to purchasing used sportswear :s

Yup - there is a reason volunteers in T2 assigned to Bike Catching all wear rubber gloves...
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It does seem like you'd be fighting an up hill battle. Do you have a strategy to convince people that buying used gym clothes is not gross? That's where I think you'd need to focus your attention. Address the biggest hurdle in people's minds with clever ads and marketing.
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I personally would only buy used fitness clothing if it was pretty much brand new. The idea of wearing someone elses clothes that they sweat in and worked out in sounds pretty gross. Its a good idea but maybe you should only take "like new" used clothing?
  • julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of cheap work out wear... not so much used work out wear though. I have bought plenty of BNWT stuff from ebay. People (including myself) buy things online, can't be bothered returning them or figure they'll keep them until they fit, and then eventually ditch them. You can also get completely decent items on clearance from large sporting stores. If it was my business plan, I would tweak the idea to sourcing end of line clearance stuff to resell.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    EricMurano wrote: »
    It does seem like you'd be fighting an up hill battle. Do you have a strategy to convince people that buying used gym clothes is not gross? That's where I think you'd need to focus your attention. Address the biggest hurdle in people's minds with clever ads and marketing.

The challenge is that people who are really into fitness kind of know it's gross. I don't think there is any messaging in the world that would get me to buy a pair of used compression shorts. Because I KNOW what happens in those shorts.
  • monicarungood
    monicarungood Posts: 41 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think I bought a dri-fit tank top from Goodwill once. That's about it. I usually buy my stuff at Ross or Wal-Mart anyway so there isn't really any inherent appeal to me when it comes to buying used work-out clothes. The "ick" factor for me would depend on what it was and what condition it's in... I've bought stuff from Ross that I didn't bother to try on and then gotten home and found it didn't fit. So in that sense, I wouldn't find it weird... but when it comes to someone's well-worn shorts, I'm probably going to take a pass and get some $12 capris at Wal-Mart instead.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i just don't think i'd buy used workout clothes via an online source, unless it was still in the package/with tags etc. i'd rather buy it in person so i can judge the durability & quality with my own eyes and decide to go through with the purchase
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    I personally would only buy used fitness clothing if it was pretty much brand new. The idea of wearing someone elses clothes that they sweat in and worked out in sounds pretty gross. Its a good idea but maybe you should only take "like new" used clothing?

I'd imagine that is already the case. I don't think the OP is trying to build a business from worn out, raggedy clothes. However, I think it would have to marketed REALLY specifically and possibly avoid the word "used". I'd take the angle of "workout clothes EXCHANGE' and emphasize the fact that the clothing was worn very briefly before the original owner either lost weight or didn't need it, etc.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have gotten most of my stuff from Goodwill, so I'm in for a yes. I wash them straight away in hot water, and only buy what is in very good condition.