Things I've noticed about losing weight:

Options
Your tastebuds change. I can't stand hostess cakes anymore, and I only really like certain types of chips. I feel good about being picky, rather than being a metaphorical garbage disposal.
Also, your reactions to crap foods change. I get a sugar crash now! Weird things you think are annoying about healthy people when you're overweight make you feel really normal, like a part of a group you used to hate for no reason.

Replies

• georgemang82
    georgemang82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So true!! I did the same thing when I gave up diet softdrinks for a month... my first sip after that time and it tasted like poison! You definitely become more discerning!!!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I feel really yuck when I eat sugar now - kind of like a headache but not exactly the same, and then I just feel... blah. I haven't lost much weight but my eating habits are changing, so I guess my body must be growing accustomed to the good stuff!
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    So true. And I love the "metaphorical garbage disposal" analogy. This is exactly how it feels like!
  • drwmr74
    drwmr74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I feel really yuck when I eat sugar now - kind of like a headache but not exactly the same, and then I just feel... blah. I haven't lost much weight but my eating habits are changing, so I guess my body must be growing accustomed to the good stuff!
    Good
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes! absolutely. :) I can easily pass by items in the grocery store that used to call my name because they hold no interest for me now.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The thing I noticed the MOST is how people treat you different. Things that I took for granted before I was obese, the small every day pleasantries from strangers. I knew I was getting my figure back when doors started to be opened for me again. It seems like such a small thing but when you've been treated one way when thin, then that treatment changes...it's noticeable and sad.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I ate my first fast food this year; a sandwich from kfc and I've felt sick to my stomach the rest of the day from it. Yuck.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    The thing I noticed the MOST is how people treat you different. Things that I took for granted before I was obese, the small every day pleasantries from strangers. I knew I was getting my figure back when doors started to be opened for me again. It seems like such a small thing but when you've been treated one way when thin, then that treatment changes...it's noticeable and sad.

^^ that. all day long.

which is why im teaching my son to hold doors for EVERY woman, not just the 'pretty' ones. He also holds it open for old people or those with a (visible) disability. (my hubbys disabled so we are very sensitive to people who need a little extra help)
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »

^^ that. all day long.

which is why im teaching my son to hold doors for EVERY woman, not just the 'pretty' ones. He also holds it open for old people or those with a (visible) disability. (my hubbys disabled so we are very sensitive to people who need a little extra help)

Parenting done right:)
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Lol, @callsitlikeiseeit‌, we have taught our children so well that sometimes I have to wait for a while as my children hold the door open for everyone. But I would much rather wait for them, than insult or not be of help to someone who might need it.
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Love your name, @Lookingformyself‌ That's how I feel on this Journey.
  • 0505jen
    0505jen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I had a donut on Friday and the taste of lard is very distinct. Not sure why I thought it was a treat.
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I can hardly finish half a burger anymore. Which I used to love! Desserts as well, you're satisfied with just a couple of bites now instead of gobbling it all down! MFP is amazing.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Full milk makes me feel ill..... My father-in-law thinks I'm mad cuz he loves the full cream milk (but he's at least 18 stone so there we go.)
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend my mother in law gave us those mixed in a bag drinks that you freeze and then pour from the fridge...I about vomitted! It was like drinking straight up syrup....disgusting!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I went to Fuddruckers for a burger a few days ago. I usually get their 1/3 pound burger. Well I needed more calories that day so I chose the 1/2 pound burger and could only stand half of it! Felt sick the rest of the day too. Wow, and I have to say no to their onion rings...too greasy to me now:(
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs and kept it off for years and still love doughnuts, snack cakes, candy, and large sandwiches. My taste buds haven't really changed at all.

I've just learned how much of those things I can eat. I don't usually have a lot of them as I prefer to have more of other foods. So in that sense maybe I don't feel that they are "worth the calories."
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've eaten like a diabetic so long, this is no longer appealing.
    Black_Forest_gateau.jpg
    (Apologies for those who find this a trigger.)
  • addysaurus
    Options
    I totally feel you guys. Personally, I still have soda cravings, but they're evolving. I used to absolutely CHUG diet soda but now, one sip is just gross. If I do give in to the craving, I'll get a 'normal' soda and make it last for a few days. Otherwise, I get a mighty headache and my stomach gets upset. When Target marked down their Valentine's treats, I got a thing of their mini cupcakes and had to give most of them to my boyfriend. They were too sweet and left an awful taste and texture in my mouth- almost like I had taken a big bite of lard.
    Another thing I've noticed is that sleeping is becoming more of a hassle. The bed is slowly growing more and more uncomfy and it seems like the fat in my legs is going away/changing so I have to re-situate my legs multiple times and sleep with a bigger pillow between my knees.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    To an extent yeah, but in not going whole hog into any "clean eating" regime. Had a huge chicken sandwich with spicy fries and blue cheese dressing Sunday and loved every bit of it. On the other hand our go to pizza place is probably getting dropped as eating less has really brought the idea of quality to the front burner for sure. Some items certainly fail to live up to my fond memories these days.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!