What's better for weight loss

Options
Diet or excerise? Just interested in what's more effective alone, of course both is better...

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit to lose weight exercise to get fit.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    You can eat at a deficit, never leave the couch and still lose weight, on the other hand, you can't outrun a bad diet.

Rigger
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diet for sure. But I enjoy exercising more. When I started exercising more my weight loss stalled and I got very hungry from the new demands.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You can't outwork a bad diet. :) As @ncboiler89‌ said,
    Eat at a deficit to lose weight exercise to get fit.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit really doesn't care how it came into being, right?

All it knows is it must exist for you to lose weight.

For weight loss purposes it doesn't matter. For overall health, I'd make sure there's a crap-ton of exercise in there getting in on the deficit.
  • 1JoshG
    1JoshG Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Diet, definitely
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Diet, but, for some people, exercise can help control appetite - I eat less on cardio days.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but some found it helpful to create a caloric deficit. I'd say its 80% diet/ 20% exercise
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Deficit.

Achieved however you see fit.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Bit of a pointless question. Calorie deficit is the only thing relevant to weight loss.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There is not enough time in the day to exercise enough to burn the amount I could eat if I had a mind to. You can lose weight without ever getting off the couch.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, diet (a calorie defecit) is 100% necessary for weight loss. Having said that, 1000 calories of salad is preferable to 1000 calories of pizza. (except on a Friday night, when it's totally allowed!) Its not just the number of calories but the balance of fat, calories and carbs.

You can loose a lot of weight and still not necessarily look how you want to look. Cardio is great for 'fat burning', weights are great for 'toning and tightening'.

• MichaelVakili
    MichaelVakili Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The truth is - you can lose weight only by limiting your kcal intake. Physical activity is not necessary ,but it's better to have lean muscle body than skinny one. Training with weights provides that.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. Exercise has lots of benefits, mostly for me it keeps me far away from where the FOODZ are!
  • mikewccbc
    mikewccbc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The quote that stated about the calorie deficit is probably the most accurate. The problem is most people think that because their treadmill says they burned 200 calories in an hour they can eat 200 calories more. That is not correct. What they forget is how many calories they would have burned without the treadmill needs to be deducted from that amount. Example lets say you normally burn 100 calories per hour (2400 per day), that is your resting burn rate. So you exercise for an hour and your treadmill says you burned 200 calories. Now take your resting calories burned for the 23 hours, the time you did not exercise, multiply your resting rate of 100 calories per hour and you get 2300 calories burned, then add in the 200 calories that your treadmill says you burned for a total of 2500 calories not the 2400 calories your treadmill would make you think you could eat.
  • STUPID_GOPHER
    STUPID_GOPHER Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    calories is key........
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Alone? Diet. But why would you choose one over the other when, working in combination, they are both so effective?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    diet but both together are better, for numerous reasons.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Best explained to me this way.
    1. Diet 60%
    2. Exercise 20%
    3. Lifting Weights 20%

Any one of the three can accomplish your goal to lose weight.
    It is just easier to do with diet. Most people would find it easier to just not eat that 400 cal snack then to go for a 40 min vigorous jog.

I find doing all three is the only thing that gives me the body I want. Happens quicker, and exercising causes me to make better food choices, which causes me to want to exercise because I see gains in strength and endurance which causes me to eat better....you get the picture??