I think I need to be told I am fat

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    While I'm all for making someone feel good about herself, sometimes we need a kick in the pants, right? You carry your weight very evenly, I never would have guessed 190. While I don't look at your picture and think "that girl's obese!" you obviously know you need to lose some weight or you wouldn't have written this post. Here's the reality, though and I'm giving it with love and respect... I'm about your height and if I ever saw 190 on the scale I'd be much more than a little unhappy. In fact I hit 140 last year and was VERY unhappy because I was about to fall into the "overweight" category. That was my wake up call and the moment I got into action.

Don't let people convince you of something you know is untrue. If you know you're overweight and are unhappy about it, do something. Do it for you because you know that 190 at 5'3" isn't healthy no matter what people tell you. Good luck on your journey, wherever it takes you.
    You should have seen my face the day I had my children,I weighed close to 240 with both of them :noway:
    I know I am overweight and unhappy about it,I just dont think that I need to lose 50lbs to feel,look and be healthy.
    It is a lot less overwhelming thinking "I need to lose 30 /40 lbs" and doesnt seem so unrealistic.(I weighed 155 on my honeymoon 13 years ago,then got pregnant with my son and have yet to get under 170 in the past 10 years :ohwell:
    I always have people tell me that I look fine and do not need to lose weight,I know I just hold my weight well and that healthwise it would be better to lose anything,even 20lbs.
    thanks for your honesty

You may not need to lose the full 50 lbs to be at a healthy weight for you. I weigh 165 which is 10lbs overweight at 5'6" by the BMI chart and I am pretty dense so I look like I weigh a little less. Obviously I could still stand to lose a few pounds (I'd like to lose that last 10) but at this point its just going for less belly and arm flab, not overall smaller-ness.

You do look overweight, but you don't look 50lbs overweight. Actually - what scale are you using? I had an old scale that was putting me in 10 lbs heavier than I am.

They say that even losing 10% of your weight even if it does not put you into a 'healthy' bmi has enormous health benefits, so why not just shoot for the 20 lbs lost and then take it from there. That way you WILL get the health benefits and if you feel good at that weight then fine, leave it. (PS also active overweight people are healthier on the standard markers than inactive thin people, so if you are not active now adding that will also have health benefits).
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    I have the SAME problem.

In mirrors and everything, I see myself smaller.. in Pictures, I look about 50 pounds heavier than I see.

Your not alone.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    You are not fat at all.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 lbs and according to the BMI scale I'm still considered obese. Even at my goal weight I will still be considered overweight. To go under my goal weight, I'd have to lose muscle. I don't wanna lose my muscle. I happen to like it. Tone it up. If your unhappy with how you look, keep going. But you don't need someone to tell you, "that your fat". That's dumb. Sorry.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with being confident and loving yourself. You look very cute to me in this pic!
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and currently 186 and I look MUCH BIGGER than you do in that picture! I started at 205 and you wanna talk about MORBIDLY OBESE??? :laugh:

I think you look like you only need to lose 20 pounds, maybe 30. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're beautiful!

If you want to see some OBESE pictures, look at mine! I'm not sure if they're open to everyone or not, but you can never have too many friends... so feel free to send me a request if you want. :D
  • lean4life2
    Options
    You look a little overweight as opposed to obese.
    I don't think the top helps that you are wearing, looks a bit too old for you. :flowerforyou:

... I'm allowed an opinion ...

You have some nicer profile pics though, and some cute kids in one pic (was being nosy I know)..
    Well I *am* 40 :sad:
  • cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You are not morbidly obese or even obese, Keep up the exercising =)
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    You do not look morbidly obese!! You & I are alike in one way... unhealthy BMIs and bodies that are good at hiding it (except I'm like the rest of the crowd and think I look worse than I do, haha). Because I was able to hide it so well, it's taken me until now to decide I really have to take losing weight & getting in shape seriously. I came to this point for 2 reasons:

1) All of my co-workers are old enough to be my mother (or grandmother in some cases)... and I have seen the damage done to poor care of their bodies, and how difficult it is to keep up with a changing body. I want to make sure that I am in good habits NOW, at age 21, so that I can continue to keep my body in good health through the end of my days.

2) My big "WTF time to change" moment: back in June I (tried) to take a tough hike with my husband (who is a runner). I literally could not get up the hill. It was embarrassing how out of shape I was... My asthma kicked in immediately, I got frustrated and started crying at one point, it was a horrible mess, haha. After that I decided that a 21 year old (an any-number-year-old, truly) should not be kept from doing fun, active things from a simple unwillingness to get some exercise and eat food that is good for you. Then I found MFP, which has helped me keep up a momentum, and for the first time in my life I feel like I can achieve my health & weight goals.

You should do it for your health! I recommend the book "French Women Don't Get Fat" by Mireille Guiliano... it will completely change the way you see food, health & well-being. =)
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You carry it VERY well and don't look obese at all!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I think you know you don't look morbidly obese.

I don't mean this disrespectfully or in a mean way, but if you want my honest opinion, I think you are trolling for compliments and attention.

But what do I know?

If you are being honest with yourself, you know what morbidly obese truly looks like. If you truly see yourself as that way, then you may need to get some help (sorry, just being blunt - not trying to be mean or hurt your feelings. I personally think you look great.)
  • lean4life2
    Options
    You definitely don't look morbidly obese - but that is partly because you are lucky enough to carry your weight really well. Even overweight, you have a shape!! That means as you lose weight you will look even better.

I was borderline obese when I started losing - a couple years ago. Lost 20 pounds, then got bored - gained a few back. Then I started here last fall, and lost 35 pounds. (So about 50 pounds total loss from my highest weight - 183 and 5' 5 1/2") I feel so awesome, and when I look back at pictures of myself, I can't believe how big I was. Like you, I didn't feel too bad about myself, I carried it well, but it was pictures of me that really made me realize I had to lose weight.

Find a sustainable way to start losing, start working out (that is what really made it a life changer for me), and start being more and more happy about how you look! Just wait until you see skinny pictures of yourself!

I have worked out since I was 15 and I am 40 .I go to the gym I lift weights and I run,have run 3 5ks in the past year ,that is not nor has ever been my issue,I workout all the time and I love it.

the food is my devil:devil:
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I got curious about the definition of "morbidly obese", so I looked it up:

Obesity traditionally has been defined as a weight at least 20% above the weight corresponding to the lowest death rate for individuals of a specific height, gender, and age (ideal weight). Twenty to forty percent over ideal weight is considered mildly obese; 40-100% over ideal weight is considered moderately obese; and 100% over ideal weight is considered severely, or morbidly, obese.

from http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Morbidly+obese
  • didi8218
    Options
    wow you do not look morbidly obese at all! I would be so happy to look like that in my jeans lol. I know the feeling though stepping out thinking you are so fly then having a picture taken and going oh snap I didn't realize I wasn't a super model! so i get it. It's hard to not eat all the good yummy stuff but a saying goes the gym is only like 30% the rest of losing weight comes in the kitchen.
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't look morbidly obese! Or obese at all. When I see how good you look, and then think that I weight the same as you and I'm 5'8", I figure maybe I'm being too critical of myself, lol. I still have some extra weight on me and I can't seem to shake it off, which aggravates me cuz everyone tells me I don't need to, but I know what I look like naked and they don't, lol. I always wonder if people are just being too nice...

I don't think you look unhealthy and you have a feminine figure. There's some extra pounds, yeah, to be honest, but you know that too, the numbers are lying but there's an element of truth.

All in all, we can always make healthier choices, and that's only good for us. There is no harm in adding some exercise, cutting out some crap and adding some nutrient rich, low calorie foods. :) Aim for health, not numbers!

BMI is such a sham. It was invented in the 1800's and people and physiques have changed a lot since then!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    You are not morbidly obese... Dont take the BMI stuff to heart. I am a nursing student, and when assessing a patients BMI you take into accord how "fat" they really look. Seriously.. You are thinner than I am and I am considered "obese" for my BMI.

Please stop thinking about yourself as fat or you wont really get anywhere. Start doing something good about it and learn from it! You look fine.
  • cj2lose
    cj2lose Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree! Food is the devil. If I ever win the lottery (yeah, right) I'd hire a personal chef. I tell my husband that all the time. LOL!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    You DON'T look fat. If you feel fine with way you are, then be glad about it. It's not fair to yourself to have people degrade you, so don't ask for it.
  • lean4life2
    Options
    No, you don't look obese or fat to me... but that's not really the point is it? Many of us have gotten used to weights that are higher than are good for us. Are you fit? Do you want to live a long, healthy life?
    I was at a good weight for so much of my life, and the weight crept on slowly, so I also have trouble believing that I really, really do need to lose weight. Although I don't carry it as well as you, I do seem to "fool" some people. For instance, the store clerks won't always bring me the size I need, or they'll bring a smaller size too... "just in case". Now after 4 months on MFP, they might be right about a different size. :happy: But the more important thing is that I feel so much better... I can walk farther and do other things without tiring.
    So maybe you don't need to be told you're fat. There's no reason to feel badly about yourself. But could you feel better about yourself and enjoy a healthier, more active life if you exercised more and ate better?
    P.S. Don't you also want to be around to see your children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren...? And to be able to run and play with them? And to set a good example for them, so they're more likely to live a healthy, long life.

Great grandchildren??!!!
    :noway:

I had my kids at 30 and 35,and my hubby was 40 and 45 we will be lucky enough to see grandchildren,let alone GREAT grandchildren!

seriously though I totally get what you are saying and I know from past times when I have lost and gotten down that I FELT better.I think I am in pretty good shape,I run regularly and go to the gym,just eat too much so like others have said,the fat covers the fit :wink:

I am not fishing for complitments,trust me that is so not the case :blushing:
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't think you look morbidly obese! It's so interesting how we all carry our weight differently.

BMI charts tell me the same thing - I am '5,6" and 217 pounds but people are always shocked when I tell them my true weight. About 8 years ago I was 140 pounds and 'skinny fat' but people always guessed I weighed around 115. I wore a size 2 - 4 (US sizes).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!