Gaining... Is there any such thing as 'bad' calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    AgentRoger wrote: »
    I think one thing we forget about is the toxins in the food/calories. It would seem to me if you eat foods with higher toxins then your body will have a harder time dealing with them and in turn harder time loosing fat. I also think that these select toxins will congregate to select areas of the body. I like the term "clean food."

do you even know that you are in the gaining forum? Op wants to GAIN not lose...

• Regaining_life
    Regaining_life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    At 69lbs, you're very light even given that you are relatively short. Did you get light by just overall not being hungry, or do you tic ally fear "bad" foods? How do you feel about your relationship with food in general. It may be beneficial to speak to a therapist if you feel you have an unhealthy relationship with food. .

I was very unwell for a while last year and lost a lot of weight through just not really eating much at all because everything I ate, even if it was just soup, caused digestive distress and stomach ache. The problem is sorted now but I'm still very reluctant to eat certain foods

Are you currently receiving therapy?

No, therapy for what? I don't think I need it, no offence
    For possible ED issues.

I don't think that's necessary. Me not feeling comfortable eating 'so-called' bad foods is no different to vegetarians choosing not to eat meat IMO.

I'm talking about you being 5 feet tall and weighing 69 lbs. That, you need help for.

I lost the weight through being physically unwell and not being able to keep food down rather than deliberately starving myself and depriving myself of food. I don't consider that an eating disorder. Now I am well I have no problem with eating or gaining weight, I just want to know the best way to do it.

• ndj1979
    Options
    At 69lbs, you're very light even given that you are relatively short. Did you get light by just overall not being hungry, or do you tic ally fear "bad" foods? How do you feel about your relationship with food in general. It may be beneficial to speak to a therapist if you feel you have an unhealthy relationship with food. .

I was very unwell for a while last year and lost a lot of weight through just not really eating much at all because everything I ate, even if it was just soup, caused digestive distress and stomach ache. The problem is sorted now but I'm still very reluctant to eat certain foods

For possible ED issues.

I don't think that's necessary. Me not feeling comfortable eating 'so-called' bad foods is no different to vegetarians choosing not to eat meat IMO.

I'm talking about you being 5 feet tall and weighing 69 lbs. That, you need help for.

I lost the weight through being physically unwell and not being able to keep food down rather than deliberately starving myself and depriving myself of food. I don't consider that an eating disorder. Now I am well I have no problem with eating or gaining weight, I just want to know the best way to do it.

here is the cliff notes

figure out .5 pound per week gain and eat to that number
    set macros to 40% carbs/35% protein/30% fats
    get on some kind of structured lifting program so you can add muscle and minimize fat gain
    realize that no foods are bad and you can eat what you like in the context of hitting your daily calorie/macro/micro goals...
    repeat until you are happy with results
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i had a good friend in high school and college (and was actually friends with her up until a few years ago) who was underweight and would drink things like ensure and similar meal replacement shakes to help gain weight.

as an adult (after a baby) i think she was in the normal weight (i would guess) range.

• Regaining_life
    Options

For possible ED issues.

Unwell as in intestinal or stomach issues? Care to share what that was? Is there any food you aren't allowed to eat?

I had a bug which attacked my lungs and respiratory system. I thought it was just a bad cold which would go away by itself and put off going to see my GP. By the time I did, it was starting to attack my stomach and kidneys and just made me really unwell with next to not appetite and able to keep very little down. There's no food that I'm not allowed to eat per se, I'm just keen to make sure I'm eating wholesome foods and to achieve some balance.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Food doesn't just have value based on the nutrients it gives you. Your body actually needs calories as well. If your insistence on eating only "good" foods is giving you a diet that doesn't meet your caloric needs, it's not good for you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Food doesn't just have value based on the nutrients it gives you. Your body actually needs calories as well. If your insistence on eating only "good" foods is giving you a diet that doesn't meet your caloric needs, it's not good for you.

This. Definitely eat whole, nutrient dense foods, but don't exclude other foods that you think might be bad. A good rule of thumb that many people use is 80% nutrient dense and 20% calorie dense. It's not a hard and fast rule. Find what works for you and gets you to your goal.

ETA: there are plenty of nutrient dense food also high in calories such as full fat dairy, nut butyers, and fats. By calorie dense I meant foods that many people on the forums refer to as "junk" like chocolate, ice cream, chips, etc.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    6183e0e1c35c0acab3f3dfe27e73edaf.jpg

I disagree. This eggplant had been very bad and had to be punished. That naughty little nightshade fruit.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    AgentRoger wrote: »
    I think one thing we forget about is the toxins in the food/calories. It would seem to me if you eat foods with higher toxins then your body will have a harder time dealing with them and in turn harder time loosing fat. I also think that these select toxins will congregate to select areas of the body. I like the term "clean food."

do you even know that you are in the gaining forum? Op wants to GAIN not lose...

That's just the first thing wrong with the post and the most easily correct problem as well. Pseudo-science should have a warning label.
  • ProfessorAbsolut
    ProfessorAbsolut Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm no newcomer to this site, but I am new to the forums. I am just looking for some advice really so please don't be rude. I am currently 24 years old, 5 feet tall and weigh 69 pounds. Obviously I am trying to gain a little bit of weight but I am really struggling with the concept of 'bad food' and I don't really know what I should and shouldn't be eating. Should most of my calories be coming from protein and veggies? Is there such a thing as eating too much chocolate or sweets in order to reach my calorie goal? At the moment I'm eating a chocolate bar every single day in order to reach my goal and to me it seems wrong. Shouldn't I really be eating healthy things (I am eating veggies and fruit etc for meals too btw) or does it not matter? Any constructive advice would be much appreciated.

Ok so you want to gain weight and you have calorie goal. Both good things because you have a specific place and plan to get you to there. But I do have a few questions for you.

What do you consider to be bad foods?
    What is your calorie goal each day?
    Other than the chocolate bar everyday what else exactly are you eating? For example what does one day of meals look like?

The thing is everyone is different and unique so what works for @Wheelhouse15‌ or @TrailBlazerMN‌ may not work for you @Regaining_life. So I think with this additional information we can give you some advice that is specific to you.

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating a chocolate bar every day.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options

For possible ED issues.

here is the cliff notes

get on some kind of structured lifting program so you can add muscle and minimize fat gain
    realize that no foods are bad and you can eat what you like in the context of hitting your daily calorie/macro/micro goals...

^Nice, informative, and based on her original question, great response.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would classify as bad food is trans-fat (partially hydrogenated oils) so avoid them, but everything else is fair game.
  • ndj1979
    Options

For possible ED issues.

here is the cliff notes

^Nice, informative, and based on her original question, great response.

I have my moments….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm no newcomer to this site, but I am new to the forums. I am just looking for some advice really so please don't be rude. I am currently 24 years old, 5 feet tall and weigh 69 pounds. Obviously I am trying to gain a little bit of weight but I am really struggling with the concept of 'bad food' and I don't really know what I should and shouldn't be eating. Should most of my calories be coming from protein and veggies? Is there such a thing as eating too much chocolate or sweets in order to reach my calorie goal? At the moment I'm eating a chocolate bar every single day in order to reach my goal and to me it seems wrong. Shouldn't I really be eating healthy things (I am eating veggies and fruit etc for meals too btw) or does it not matter? Any constructive advice would be much appreciated.

Ok so you want to gain weight and you have calorie goal. Both good things because you have a specific place and plan to get you to there. But I do have a few questions for you.

What do you consider to be bad foods?
    What is your calorie goal each day?
    Other than the chocolate bar everyday what else exactly are you eating? For example what does one day of meals look like?

The thing is everyone is different and unique so what works for @Wheelhouse15‌ or @TrailBlazerMN‌ may not work for you @Regaining_life. So I think with this additional information we can give you some advice that is specific to you.

what is wrong with the chocolate bar everyday if it fits into calorie/micro/macro goal???

I eat a serving of ice cream pretty much every day, I just make sure it fits into my goals...
  • Regaining_life
    Options

For possible ED issues.

Unwell as in intestinal or stomach issues? Care to share what that was? Is there any food you aren't allowed to eat?

I had a bug which attacked my lungs and respiratory system. I thought it was just a bad cold which would go away by itself and put off going to see my GP. By the time I did, it was starting to attack my stomach and kidneys and just made me really unwell with next to not appetite and able to keep very little down. There's no food that I'm not allowed to eat per se, I'm just keen to make sure I'm eating wholesome foods and to achieve some balance.

A bug?

Yes. Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare if you want the specifics
  • Regaining_life
    Options

For possible ED issues.

here is the cliff notes

Thanks