Peanut butter??

Options

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with it.... if there's a jar of cookie butter, or PB & Co. Peanut Butter in the house, I WILL eat the whole jar in one night. I literally have no willpower when it comes to it, not sure why, but needless to say we haven't had PB in over a few years... other than a rare occasion I make my own cookie butter, in moderation amounts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    it seems like a lot of fit people are obsessed with peanut butter. I love pb too, but can somebody tell me why? I know it has protein but seems high in calories? Just wondering :)

Bulkers are trying to gain muscle so are always on the lookout for calorie-dense high protein foods. Peanut butter fits the bill. Whey powder too....and apparently, chicken breasts.

The whey and chicken aren't very calorie dense...just lots of protein; when I did my bulk cycle I was looking to get around 180 grams of protein per day. The peanut butter just gives you a ton of calories without having to stuff yourself...a lot of calories plus the protein are essential to a good bulk.
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I mix 1 tablespoon in my oatmeal with a teaspoon of honey and it satisfies my PB&H cravings for the day!
  • KickinIt23
    KickinIt23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    it seems like a lot of fit people are obsessed with peanut butter. I love pb too, but can somebody tell me why? I know it has protein but seems high in calories? Just wondering :)

It tastes great! Also being a spread it can be put on, or added to just about anything.
    An alternative to PB is almond butter, which is super tasty and has slightly less saturated fat.
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter. i can eat it from the jar with a spoon. It's just about the greatest spread ever
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I will eat celery and pb as a meal. Not like just a little bit, but I will eat an entire stalk of celery topped with crunchy pb. Thats about 5-6 servings on the plate. The macros are perfect for ketogenic diet, so if I need a fat boost, I just have either buttermilk ranch or pb.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm a person who loves the taste of PB but hate the texture (both creamy and chunky -- feel like I'm gunna choke when trying to eat it). PB2 mixed with water has a much easier to eat texture, and the powder itself is great for sprinkling on stuff that just needs a little 'something' extra.

Hubby and I were discussing it this morning - he doesn't think it's worth it without the oil - and it ended up with me deciding to try it mixed with milk instead of water. Still lower calorie with a smidgen extra fat and protein. In any case, I'll be trying it at lunch!
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's amazing. I love peanut butter in my smoothies, on bread, off a spoon at 2:30am, even have a few good chicken recipes that have peanut butter!

I do sometimes use PB2 for smoothies when I don't want them to be so high in calories.

Oh and in ice cream.

Peanut butter is pretty much just amazing :)

• jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Peanut butter + Chocolate = <3

Make sure you weigh your peanut butter!! ;)

But not the chocolate? *grins*

Anyone here try making their own peanut butter? mmmmm..... good.
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I love PB, and I have a couple spoonfuls of it each day as a treat. It has to be real PB that contains just peanuts, not that candy-like PB such as Kraft that adds sugar,salt, and more oil.

Does anyone else here love dipping a spoonful of pb into molasses? It has to be fancy molasses, not that bitter cooking molasses.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm not obsessed with it, but I do love it. For me, it's all about the taste. The fact that it is packed with nutrition is an awesome bonus.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Ah I can't resist a peanut butter thread. Just like I can't resist peanut butter. I don't keep it around as there are many unlogged servings by the time I get to the bottom of the jar.

That's the same problem I have. When you add in the Jam and Toasted bread were talking about some significant calories. Now its the treat for Camping.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    lexlowe wrote: »
    I love PB, and I have a couple spoonfuls of it each day as a treat. It has to be real PB that contains just peanuts, not that candy-like PB such as Kraft that adds sugar,salt, and more oil.

Does anyone else here love dipping a spoonful of pb into molasses? It has to be fancy molasses, not that bitter cooking molasses.

I don't like molasses, but I do this with maple syrup. I often just mix pb and maple syrup and eat with a spoon for dessert. <3
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    It's easy protein, with fat, so in a snack it can help you stay full. It is calorie dense, so you do have to watch portions and weigh very very carefully. But way easier than trying to prep a lot of other protein sources just for a snack.

yes exactly
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hello my peanut butter loving friends!
    Because--YUM? I love the taste and texture.

As if we need any other reason than "yum"? I love the taste and any texture, but crunchy is king.

I do. It's the probably the sole reason I bought a Ninja at the time (yes, I wanted a damned expensive peanut butter maker. I really only use it for that and hummus). Makes quick work of it. I'll make it plain, sometimes with molasses, cinnamon, and/or honey. I have yet to venture into other flavors (jalapeno sounds tempting, but still unsure).

Before I started making it, I'd buy it at a local market that ground it right there on the spot. Fresh. Awesome. They do it with honey roasted peanuts, too. That's DANGEROUS STUFF right there.
    jhall260 wrote: »
    Oh and in ice cream.

PB, cinnamon and vanilla bean ice cream. The best. The. Best.

I see a lot of people have it in oatmeal, but I'm still a little unsure of that. How much should one use in a typical serving of oatmeal (1/4 c. steel cut, 1/2 c. rolled)?
  • emi1yawolfe
    emi1yawolfe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My daily breakfast... medium apple with 1 Tablespoon of crunchy natural pb. I personally like the natural not being sweetened. Something about pb allows me to feel satisfied as if I ate a sweet treat. Another concoction I love, semi frozen unsweetened almond milk, half a banana and 2 teaspoons of powered pb.

On another note, Trader Joes natural pb has less calories than Smucker's natural pb but is smoother.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Lemme help ya. There's this thing called PB2. You can get regular or with cocoa. It's powdered peanut butter without all the fat. You add water and mix it up and it's peanut butter.... at 45 cal for 2 Tbsp rather than 190 cal. I don't know how many brands of it exist but.... meh who cares lol it is a lifesaver.

PB2 is gross.

Totally agree with you!

I love peanut butter because it tastes good, and it's probably my main source of fat in my diet.

• jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »

I do. It's the probably the sole reason I bought a Ninja at the time (yes, I wanted a damned expensive peanut butter maker. I really only use it for that and hummus). Makes quick work of it. I'll make it plain, sometimes with molasses, cinnamon, and/or honey. I have yet to venture into other flavors (jalapeno sounds tempting, but still unsure).

Before I started making it, I'd buy it at a local market that ground it right there on the spot. Fresh. Awesome. They do it with honey roasted peanuts, too. That's DANGEROUS STUFF right there.

I've tried a variety of ways as well; I also make my own chocolates (turtles/peanut butter cups/etc) but now, I am experimenting with my homemade PB to try and make my own protein bar. Honey, Cinnamon are my fav too; But, I have added some chocolate as well.

• spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Update on milk instead of water mixed with the PB2: Instead of peanut *butter* I got peanut *milk*! XD

Made a nice addition to an unexpected lunch time coffee though!
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents.... I love peanut butter. I try not to eat a lot because I need to lose weight and it is calorie dense. I do eat it occasionally. I have tried to lower sugar all natural versions, but it is a little hard to eat by itself. For someone that is in shape and working hard, they can afford the calories, so for them it is good for them more so than someone like me. A spoonful is a good snack. My dad who is 78, puts peanut butter on literally everything and he is healthy and thin.