320 pounds on 1,700 a day?????

Options
Am I doing this right? I'm sedentary and a female. I'm 25 years old. I can't lose no matter how hard I try. I am just STARVING at the end of the day. I binge only at night since starting my diet. Its a ravenous hunger. No matter if I eat 3 meals or 6 a day. Please help!!!!

Replies

• kathrynrf89
    kathrynrf89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Maybe try upping your protein? Not sure what you are doing now, but I know that works for me.
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I actually am eating roughly double what I used to. I'm up to Maybe 90-100g a day. Is that good?
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by "binge"? Are you sticking to your calorie goals? The timing of the meals doesn't matter, only the calorie count each day (or weekly average). That said, what kind of foods are you eating? Some foods will fill you and help you stay full longer while contributing fewer calories. Protein (like chicken breast, cottage cheese, and eggs) will help fill you, as well as things like rice and beans.
    Finally, what is your targeted weight loss? 1lb a week? 2? If you're too hungry, set a less aggressive goal (perhaps a half a pound a week?) so you can eat more each day and still loss (albeit slower). Hope this help! :)
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Up your calories so you don't feel the need to binge. Consider making sure you have enough protein+fat, many people feel it helps them stay satiated longer- me included. Maybe try 2000 a day?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you're 320 pounds now, 1700 calories sounds really low. If you tell MFP you want to lose 2 pounds per week, what does it give you?

FWIW, I'm 125 pounds and I eat 1500 calories when I'm trying to lose. Granted, I'm losing 0.5 pounds per week, but you should be able to eat way more than 1700 calories and still lose just fine.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You might want to up your calories if you are starving enough to binge. You shouldn't feel deprived if you have enough of the right food. A lot of people on here don't eat below their BMR, which at 320lb is over 2000cal a day.

What are you eating during the day? You need a good mix of quality carbs (whole grains, veggies), fats and protein to make sure you're feeling full. This can go both ways - if you're eating 'junk food' during the day, you're getting lots of sugar which burns off fast and not enough protien. If you're eating nothing but veggies and lean meat, you need more fat.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I can afford to lose aggressively since I'm obese. But sadly, I can't overcome my binge at the end of the day. During breakfast and lunch I'm not hungry. I feel I can go strong for days. Then 5:00 hits and I am so ravenously hungry (only a few hours after eating a high protein lunch) that I accidentally go over my calories by 500-800 each day. I almost feel like my body is telling me 1,700 isn't right. But May be I'm wrong. Does 1,700 sound like the right number for me?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Change your goals to 1 pound a week for now. Also, add veggies to your day -- such as broccoli, zuccchini, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers. They help you feel better.
  • caress_elesase
    Options
    It depends on what your eating!
    If you eat the right foods and drink at least 2L of water a day you won't free staving by night time.
    I've starting eating healthy again on Sunday and I always make sure I am full after a meal and that my meals are high in fibre.
    In the morning I have porridge with a cup of green tea. Before I head to work.. (depends on my shifts, I'm on the lates this week.) I have swede and carrot mash with some chicken and an apple. At about 4 ish I have a some soup and at about half 8 I have a tuna salad and some strawberries and blueberries with low fat geek yogurt and a little chocolate sprinkles. But the main thing is... you have to tell your worth it'll be worth it in the long run and your body doesn't need the food.
    I nearly caved at work today, I work in a supermarket and im surrounded my junk food and chocolate... but I walked away had a glass of water and some fruit tea.
    I know it's hard but like I said before it'll be worth.
    If your eating because you'd bored find something to do! I've notice I now have energy when I get in from work at 11.30 so do some cleaning, sort out my meals for the next day, watch a bit of Netflix and then head to bed.
    Hope this helps :smile:
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    I'm eating a pretty well balanced macro diet. Today, my protein was 111g. Carbs was high only after my binge. That's mostly what I crave in evening. So glad to see Maybe I should up them. Its funny, I knew my BMR was closer to 2,200 BUT MFP said 1,700 to lose 2lb a week. And just to eat back exercise calories. Maybel I will bump up to BMR and see What happens. you guys have No idea how much I appreciate the insight. I just cried for about 15 minutes to my boyfriend about how I'm going to give up. His suggestion, bump up calories ;) You guys rock.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so people can see what you are eating and give you suggestions? Sounds like you might need to eat more filling foods during the day.

Maybe an evening hobby would help take your mind off of the desire to binge.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    And FWIW, my fiber was 25 GRAMS today. So right on track with my goal. between fiber and protein, there's No reason I should have been this hungry. Its almost not even me doing it if that makes sense. My stomach calls the shots in the evening. Maybe BMR and or TDEE x20%?
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Open your diary.

^^^ This. We can help more if you open your diary
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm 253 losing on 1870 a day currently, set to lose 1 lb a week, sedentary. I want to lose slowly though. But I usually lose more than the 1 lb it states a week. You definitely can.

Change your settings to lose 1 lb a week if 2 lbs is too aggressive if you're hungry still. It's not a race.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    What is your height?

You might be able to loose aggressively according to a calculator, but if you're binging it might be better to try for 2000 cal a day.
    Some tips for make taking a cut easier:
    -don't skimp on breakfast. It's tempting to eat a banana and nothing else for breakfast to save calories, but having a balanced breakfast in sufficient amount can make you less hungry later. I eat 400-500cal for breakfast (cereal, milk, fruit, almonds) every day, and it usually has around 10g of fibre.
    -allow yourself small treats. For a while, I was having a few high quality chocolates a day. If I take out sweets completely, I'm desperate to stuff my face with them.
    -Before you eat food, especially when you're used to binging, ask yourself if you're actually hungry. Sometimes you're thirsty, stressed or bored. Dealing with non hunger cravings with a cup of tea, or a short walk is a good way to go.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    I'm a little too ashamed to open it up, quite honestly. I feel horrible about it and don't even want to look. Lol I had healthy lean proteins all day, lower carbs and healthy fats. I did all the right things. Except For the eating 1,000 extra calories part ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm a little too ashamed to open it up, quite honestly. I feel horrible about it and don't even want to look. Lol I had healthy lean proteins all day, lower carbs and healthy fats. I did all the right things. Except For the eating 1,000 extra calories part ;)

Why should you feel bad about it? We all have one and we all eat. By opening it, we can see where the problems are.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Tbh you dont ive enough information so it will be hard for people to *kitten* what you are doing and a possible solution/ suggestion.

It would help if you opened your diary so people can get a better understanding of whats going on.

If it were me then id be looking at what you are eating and look to see if there were better alternatives that provided nutrition as well as satiety.

The only way you are going to lose is by being in a calorific deficit, if you cnat cut your food consumption, then your only other alternative is to burn more. Start with consumption. You need to get this sorted in the next week or you will be going round in circles.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    I'm 5'7. 25 And 325 pounds. I will open my diary now. Please be nice, I'm very sensitive tonight :(