320 pounds on 1,700 a day?????

Replies

• ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    Tbh you dont ive enough information so it will be hard for people to *kitten* what you are doing and a possible solution/ suggestion.

It would help if you opened your diary so people can get a better understanding of whats going on.

If it were me then id be looking at what you are eating and look to see if there were better alternatives that provided nutrition as well as satiety.

The only way you are going to lose is by being in a calorific deficit, if you cnat cut your food consumption, then your only other alternative is to burn more. Start with consumption. You need to get this sorted in the next week or you will be going round in circles.

Precisely why I'm beating myself up for it. Something isn't right here. I'm trying to get to the root of it. Maybe eating below BMR is bad news???
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Why are you eating so little? You need to eat more!!! You do not need to be hungry to lose weight.
  • ditsyblond17
    BMR = 2,244. TDEE is 2,692

So 2 pounds a week would mean I should eat 1,700 a day :( maybe it's just all in my mind. I am at a loss. Seriously feel like crying again. I've never been so sad.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    I eat about 1600-2000 a day depending on if it is a rest day or exercise day for me. MFP dropped me down to about 1650 a few months ago to keep me at a two pound a week weight loss and I could not do it. I had headaches, lack of energy, and felt like I was starved all the time. Even though I was, and still am obese, I had to adjust my calories to 1800 until I could figure out the foods that helped to keep me full. In about 9-10 weeks, I have lost about 15 pounds and learned what foods are the best for me. I have been slowly lowering my calories to increase my weight loss.

I agree with other posters that encouraged you to eat more veggies (low calorie but help to fill you up), protein and fat to keep you feeling fuller longer. Drinking a lot of water helps me to feel full too. Especially if I drink a glass before a meal, during, and after. You may want to see of you are drinking some of your calories that you could be using for food. I have basically given up juices, Gatorades, pop, and milk because I would rather have solid foods for my calories.

Maybe you can start at a higher calorie goal for now until you find foods that help you feel fuller longer. Another option may be to eat lower calorie for breakfast and lunch and save more calories for dinner. I try to eat about 900 calories between my breakfast and lunch and eat about 800-900 for dinner.

Hope this helps.
  • ditsyblond17
    Why are you eating so little? You need to eat more!!! You do not need to be hungry to lose weight.

What's sad is 1,700 appears to be right for 2 pounds a day! So weird. I know a 170 pound woman eating more than me!!! Why is this backwards???
  • desirail
    desirail Posts: 49 Member
    I'm 263 and MFP sets my calories at 2180 to lose 1 pound a week. If I set it for 2 pounds a week I go down to 1680. I would think you're not eating enough through the day which is why you're binging at night. I would suggest upping your fiber even more. I got around 59 g today. Easy to do when you eat chicken chili for lunch. :smile:
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    My first suggestion is to change your weight loss goal to 1 pound per week and add in exercise. If you burn calories, you can eat more since you're already at a deficit.

Also, in the long run, having exact counts on your calories is going to help you out a lot. I would suggest getting a food scale so you can measure your food and not quick adding your calories.

Take it slow. Cut it down little by little until your body adjusts to eating less. I first started by cutting out 200 calories per week until I was down into a good range. You might do something similar until you get to your calorie goal for losing one pound per week
  • sarahann104
    sarahann104 Posts: 90 Member
    I have only looked at one day. If I have learnt one thing in my last couple of weeks here its that a food scale is your friend. Get a food scale and weigh everything. Estimating a cup here and a cup there is not accurate and you are probably eating way more than you think in calories.
    My protein powder for example. I wasn't weighing it at the start and the 2 scoops was about 50g not the 40g it says is a serve.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    I'm eating a pretty well balanced macro diet. Today, my protein was 111g. Carbs was high only after my binge. That's mostly what I crave in evening. So glad to see Maybe I should up them. Its funny, I knew my BMR was closer to 2,200 BUT MFP said 1,700 to lose 2lb a week. And just to eat back exercise calories. Maybel I will bump up to BMR and see What happens. you guys have No idea how much I appreciate the insight. I just cried for about 15 minutes to my boyfriend about how I'm going to give up. His suggestion, bump up calories ;) You guys rock.

You shouldn't be eating under your BMR even for weight loss. You BMR is the amount of calories your body would burn in a day if you did absolutely nothing (basically the calories needed to keep your vital functions like brain activity, breathing and pumping blood).

You've said your current weight but I don't think you've mentioned your height, age and activity level.

I see you've opened your diary now. I think you could definitely add more veggies in. Try to have 20-30g of protein, some veggies and some healthy fats with every meal and see if you feel fuller. Just as an example, I like to snack on veggies instead of fruit because you can have 4 medium carrots for the same amount of calories as a small banana.

I agree that you should drop your target to lose 1lb/week. Better to aim for a moderate weight loss and avoid the binging than to go for a higher loss and negate your deficit because you're starving and it causes you to over-eat. You do have a lot to lose and could get away with a larger deficit to begin with - but it doesn't seem to be working for you. Changing your deficit to 1lb/week will give you a higher target - you don't have to hit it every day if your not hungry but the option will be there if you are (so mentally you won't feel like you've blown the diet and want to give up). Little tweaks like this will help you with long-term loss
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    My first suggestion is to change your weight loss goal to 1 pound per week and add in exercise. If you burn calories, you can eat more since you're already at a deficit.

Also, in the long run, having exact counts on your calories is going to help you out a lot. I would suggest getting a food scale so you can measure your food and not quick adding your calories.

Take it slow. Cut it down little by little until your body adjusts to eating less. I first started by cutting out 200 calories per week until I was down into a good range. You might do something similar until you get to your calorie goal for losing one pound per week

Exactly what I was thinking. Listen to her...she's very smart. :)
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    I used to weigh 335+ and have lost half my bodyweight. So here's some heart-to-heart advice.

1. The beginning of your diet is the hardest part. So congratulations, you took that big step! It's hard, but from here it only gets easier with time. Hand to heart, I'm not lying. IT ONLY GETS EASIER. So stick it out.

2. So ... you need to let some time pass. However hungry you feel, examine that sensation. Learn to pay close, mindful attention to your body's signals. Don't just react to them. You'll start to notice things like different KINDS of hunger, that require different interventions (sometimes you just need to drink something; sometimes you can just ignore it and wait for your next meal to come up; sometimes eating a light high protein/fiber snack is what you need, etc.). Also, you may very well find that your hunger is a short-term thing. It's not unusual for those of us who are morbidly obese to have hunger signals that are very weird, and seem to wax and wane for no reason. I'm not an expert, but I'm told it has something to do with hormones produced by bodyfat, and also from hormones produced from burning bodyfat. In my case, I often find that I'm hungry for about 2 weeks, then everything settles for a while until I make an adjustment to my diet or workout plan. Then I'm hungry again for 2 weeks. It's weird, but once I recognized the pattern it was a lot easier to deal with.

3. As long as you are in fact actually eating (1700 calories sounds okay assuming you're sedentary, though personally I'd recommend a higher goal like 2000), it's okay to feel hungry. You're eating at a deficit -- of course you're hungry. It doesn't mean there's something wrong. It doesn't mean u gun die. Relax.

4. You're probably going to need to experiment carefully to find what works for you over the long term. Everybody is a little different in what triggers them to overeat, what makes hunger worse, what makes it go away. The balance of fiber, protein, fat, and carbs is where it's really weird. Most people find that getting a larger proportion of calories from protein, and a reasonable amount from fat, helps a lot. 100g of protein sounds good -- it would not hurt to eat more protein if you can though. Also, looking at the carbs in your diet, work out the proportion of those that are fiber. Then try to raise that level! For most people, getting about 10% of their carbs in fiber form is a good start. More is better if your system can handle it. Personally I get 20%, but then I happen to really like a lot of high fiber foods like beans and fruit.

5. 1700 is very aggressive. Think about how worn down you're going to feel mentally as well as physically from that. Just because being obese means you can "afford" to lose aggressively at first doesn't mean it's a good idea. If you have a lot of weight to lose, of course it's totally normal to want your "diet" to be over as fast as possible and want to rush it. But let's be honest, even if you do successfully lose aggressively, you're going to be working at this for a long time. Do you want to be miserable the whole time? Trust me, your mindset now is totally different from where it will be in a few months, if you stick with it. There comes a point where you realize that dieting aggressively and being miserable for 12 months sucks way, way harder than dieting moderately and still enjoying your meals for 24 months does. And also, seriously, once that first 40 lbs is off (if not sooner) you're gonna feel SO GREAT. Don't sabotage yourself by making yourself so miserable that you can't sustain it.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Cadori wrote: »
    Forty6and2 wrote: »

Exactly what I was thinking. Listen to her...she's very smart. :)

*bows* Thank you! Thank you!
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    I took a look at your diary. Don't feel bad - you are trying very hard and this isn't going to change in a day. What's done is done, and as long as you're willing to try again tomorrow you haven't failed.
    I would suggest you increase your calories to BMR for now, or at least 2000cal. IT will be a slower loss, but a loss is still a loss, and once you get more confidence in counting and balancing so you're not hungry you can creep back, or start some exercise.
    Use these calories to have a snack between lunch and dinner, add in more carbs and have a treats. There's only two days to go on, but I would suggest finding a better side for dinner than the pilsbury biscuits (they're not very filling, and have that addictive salt and fat that makes even a strong willed person overeat).

Chin up. You can do this. :)
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    I'm going to send a friend request. Not because I do everything right (I wish) but because we aren't too far off in weight, I am at 1710 a day (280 set to lose 1.5 a week) and I am honestly not hungry. Maybe we can share ideas. I have lost 16.5 lbs in 67 days and I'm not miserable. We can get you there too!
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    On a different note, the problem I see is the mental side of this. You say that you "can't" overcome your binges and that you "can't" lose weight. But your body absolutely can! Your body is going to do what it's supposed to do. What you said about this being mental is 100% correct. Nothing bad will happen to your body if you don't binge. It sounds like you need a support system and add in some positive self- talk. If you need more help, speak with a professional about the mental side of this, because your body is completely able to lose the weight. You just gotta get your brain on board.

Also- get rid of the food in your house that you are binging on! Step 1! If it's not there, you can't eat it!

YOU CAN DO THIS! I BELIEVE IN YOU!
  • ditsyblond17
    Thank you so much guys. I will take everyone's recommendation. May bump up to 2,000 and add small workout 3x a week or so. Smaller breakfast and lunch to really trick my body into thinking I'm getting more for dinner might help. Veggies are my friend. I need to find better ways to incorporate more into my day. I guess Its all trial abd error. Just didn't want to be all errors for the first 6 months :/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I am a binge eater as well. I don't lose well with aggressive deficits because like you, they lead to binges. My weight loss was much more effective with a moderate deficit because I don't have the binging problems and I can maintain the deficit. When I binge, I end up eating way too much and blow any deficit.

Even though you can "afford" a large deficit, mentally, it probably isn't worth it for you.
  • misslisamo
    misslisamo Posts: 14 Member
    Nothing to add in terms of calories (except that I am with the others who feel you should add more calories daily...I think it will help with weight loss and curb the feeling/biological need of wanting to binge) but just wanted to say how AMAZING I think you are for asking for help and opening yourself up in several different ways...most importantly emotionally. Tons of "fit" people (who think they have all their poop together just because they look a certain way on the outside) can't do that. You rock.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    When I first started losing weight, I found I had to get away from oatmeal in the morning. As much as I loved it, it didn't sustain me even with a lot of protein added in. I started out my morning with yogurt and nuts, instead, and followed it with an egg (or two) toast, cheese, and coffee with half and half. Now, almost a year later, I can have some oatmeal or a half cup of shredded wheat biscuits with milk, but I still don't find them quite as sustaining as I do higher fat/higher protein choices.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Briefly looked at your diary. It's GREAT that you are logging, and kudos to you for logging even less than ideal choices. That kind of honesty with yourself is important!

One area that I think will help you is if you can try to eat more whole foods and less fast food. I just find that I don't feel satiated on fast food like I do when I eat some protein plus veggies.