Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    cbri02 wrote: »
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    Sun_child wrote: »
    I look at pictures of what i want to eat, burgers with bacon amd eggs, mac And cheese, pizza, fudge.... you get the idea.

I also smell cupcake sented candles. This one is weird I know.

I was wondering what do you do to fight cravings.
    Discuss!

One day a week cheat day. If you know you have that one day, you'll be fine.

I have to disagree with the "one cheat day" mentatlity. It's SO easy (at least for me) to undo a week of hard work in just one day. No cheat days for me.
    Cheat day does not "un-do" what you put in to that week. Will you gain pounds that day? Sure.. But you won't gain body fat. 2-3 days after you will be back to where you were. The cheat day is essential for a metabolic reset. With your hormonal balance off you're only plateauing.

It's math. I'm quite sure my 4200 calorie cheat the other day totally undid all the work I did that week, actually, as there's no way I kept a 2000 deficit the rest of the week. But if you have a 500 calorie deficit and go over by 500, obviously you won't undo much at all.

But again... math.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I usually play the lazy card... If I don't have the thing I want in my house, I choose to be lazy and not go out and buy it....So I don't have a lot of things in my house that are unhealthy.

My cravings tend to be at night, but if its during the day, and I'm near a store, I drink water or try to fit the thing in my day....
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My biggest cravings are usually for chocolate or sweets. I have found hot chocolate very helpful in feeding this craving without overeating.
  • miss_sarah2020
    miss_sarah2020 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As soon as a craving hits, either drink a bottle of water really fast or go to a room and stay in it for --~10 minutes
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I look at pictures of what i want to eat, burgers with bacon amd eggs, mac And cheese, pizza, fudge.... you get the idea.

Discuss!

I don't fight the craving, but might do one of several things:

(1) If my calorie goal allows, I might give in to the craving and eat the portion that fits.

(2) Even if my calorie goal does not allow the craving that day, I might give in and eat more than I really need to and either (a) compensate the next day so I'm in line with my weekly calories or (b) accept the fact that I went over my calorie goals, eat normally the next day, and accept hat I went over my weekly goal.

(3) Look at my calories for the day and make the wise decision that my calorie goal does not allow the craving and simply not eat it.

I guess it just all depends. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Discuss!

But, cheating implies you're doing something wrong. There is no need to cheat, and there is nothing wrong with eating over your calorie goals once in awhile.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »

Discuss!

I have to disagree with the "one cheat day" mentatlity. It's SO easy (at least for me) to undo a week of hard work in just one day. No cheat days for me.
    Cheat day does not "un-do" what you put in to that week. Will you gain pounds that day? Sure.. But you won't gain body fat. 2-3 days after you will be back to where you were. The cheat day is essential for a metabolic reset. With your hormonal balance off you're only plateauing.

No, there's no reason to reset your metabolism. The part I put in bold does not make sense. If you are trying to lose weight, you "plateau" from eating too much. It's that plain and simple.

If cheat days work for you, so be it, but they are not necessary at all, and not even close to being essential.
  • golfgirl99
    golfgirl99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I stock up on fitness magazines and when I get a craving or need to get through an evening binge temptation I take a bath and read the magazines! Works every time for me
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    If I crave something I eat it. Makes the craving go away. The other week I was craving tacos so I just went to Taco Bell & ate 2 soft shell tacos. It was delicious, my craving went away, & I still lost weight.. Because I stayed in my calorie goal for the day. If you crave something then eat a little bit of it as long as you're mindful of your calories. That may not work for some people, just saying what works for me.

This! Whenever I try to deny a strong craving or sub for something else, it only increases my craving and I tend to overeat first the alternatives I try subbing in and then the actual thing I wanted in the first place. Better to address the craving in the first place with a moderate portion and be done with it!
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hypnotherapy tapes. Doesn't help an immediate craving, but really helped me to change my relationship with food. Cravings have significantly lessened and resisting is a lot easier. Sounds a bit whacky, I know, but for me it really works.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The general consensus is to just eat it. I like the wait three days! My issue is i need to wprk on portion control. Like chocolate, if its there im goin to eat it and eat all of it. I have weak will power. Great responses! Thankyou

I do the same thing. Like tonight I was craving chocolate and I probably overdid it a bit. I had a quest chocolate protein bar and frozen blueberries with a little hot cocoa sprinkled on it. So that was probably an extra 400 calories. I probably could have eaten something tastier for that amount of calories, but maybe my choice will satiate me more.
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Im going to get one piece of fried chicken tomorrow so i eat it but not over do it.