steroid use ...

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am not "in the conversation" on this issue and would like to have a general picture - based on what you've observed and heard among younger athletes at the gym - about steroid use. Is this finally taboo now - or is it still an issue in certain circles? I'm not considering using steroids and have a valid reason for my inquiry. I think this is a good audience to ask and gather decent, real-world answers about the prevalence of steroids among young people. Thanks in advance. Moderators, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by asking about this.

Replies

• 4leighbee
    Options
    Maybe this thread is silent because no one wants to comment; maybe it's because I posted it at 3:47 a.m., lol ... so I'll just bump it up once to see. Thanks again.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    WolverhamptonFitness Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Steroids are seen just the same as many of the drugs in the market. Some people like them, use them to achieve there goals - its what works for them.

How ever, I think alot of people frown upon Steroid use. It's a shortcut with MANY side affects and problems.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Thank you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I am not "in the conversation" on this issue and would like to have a general picture - based on what you've observed and heard among younger athletes at the gym - about steroid use. Is this finally taboo now - or is it still an issue in certain circles? I'm not considering using steroids and have a valid reason for my inquiry. I think this is a good audience to ask and gather decent, real-world answers about the prevalence of steroids among young people. Thanks in advance. Moderators, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by asking about this.

If the question is whether people can get access to steroids or other drugs in a gym, the answer is it depends on the place, but in general yes, if one is interested there is a way to find them. It happens. So, if e.g. you suspect someone around you is using steroids, chances are, it is entirely possible.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Yep - that's helpful. The two answers together are kind of what I was trying to figure out ... if it is still done and if it is easy to acquire/do. Thanks for your responses.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Based on my experiences -
    Is it taboo? That depends on the group. There is a group in the gyms here of recreational gym users, primarily young males, where it is not taboo. It is talked and joked about openly.

Among the bodybuilders, it is more taboo, mostly because it is not legal in the sport. A lot it is just not talked about openly.
    I have found there are different levels as well. Some things are more acceptable. I'm not familiar with all of the drugs but I was offered one type but declined. It was not a cycle of steroids but not legal for use either. It was considered much more acceptable and the attitude was everyone was doing it.

They are available and easy to get.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I know people that still use. Pretty common here in Vegas. Especially before pool season. Also, I never did or will ever try that stuff. I have different goals. I run long distance.
  • kimberlynicole79
    kimberlynicole79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you ask someone what they take they will tell you they are natural. That is my experience in the figure world(when I did figure shows) I had the least amount of muscle than almost all of the other competitors and some were unrealistically muscular for a women in my opinion. Maybe they actually were natural and trained alot longer and harder than me. who knows. I never did it and never will. It is common in the gay community among men but I think that may be HIV related since it deteriorates muscle. Not trying to say all gay men have it and maybe it is just because of vanity reasons. I just know that there was always talk of it when I worked at a gym that had alot of gay men as members.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Among the bodybuilders, it is more taboo, mostly because it is not legal in the sport. A lot it is just not talked about openly.
    Sorry, but this isn't true. While not "legal" in the sport, bodybuilding is the OBVIOUS "sport" that steroids are the most rampant. And while the IFBB (organization that holds the most contests for pros and amateurs) state that it's "illegal" for PED use when competing, there's absolutely hard core use and the federation does NOTHING about it. And it is talked about openly especially when guys talk about stacks, dosage, etc. What they don't talk about is how they get them.
    While I don't condone the use of them for getting fit, it's apparent that they do work. Many famous actors use them now in mainstream Hollywood to get parts in movies.
    Like any drug, it can be attained if someone really wants it.
    As for the younger athletes now, I would think that usage has toned down quite a bit with probably the exception of football.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Steroid use seems to be more common now than it was when it was legal. A lot of youtube fitness gurus are talking about dosages, how to use etc. Basically, if a competitive sport has a lot of money involved, then the top elite in the sport are using. It is a reality that some dismiss or ignore. Also, steroids are not magic they won't turn a 5'4 white guy into the next NBA star.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    In the endurance sports world it is this dirty little secret that everyone knows about. Pro cycling is still rampant with doping use and although never condoned, it seems still to be quite common even though everyone is tested all the time. It seems the dopers are always one step ahead of the tests.

It tarnishes my enthusiasm for watching an amazing performance. I always have that niggle in the back of my mind that the guy I am watching climb like a beast up Alp D'huez or whatever might just be on something. Sure enough, look what happened to Astana just last week, getting their UCI license pulled for this year's tour even though their lead rider (Nibali) won the Tour de France last year.

Triathlon seems less tarnished with this, although it happens. The drive to compete is strong and anything that can give you an edge can be seen as fair game. However lifetime bans for getting caught seems to have helped.

My current issue is, as an amateur, how many people am I competing against that have decided to dope? I don't know. It is easy to get a prescription for testosterone these days. Clenbuterol can be obtained through some veterinary circles, and if you are willing to go the really shady route you can get EPO. At my age it is less of a worry but as people get older they may be looking to help boost their age-related performance sags.
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2015
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Steroid use seems to be more common now than it was when it was legal. A lot of youtube fitness gurus are talking about dosages, how to use etc. Basically, if a competitive sport has a lot of money involved, then the top elite in the sport are using. It is a reality that some dismiss or ignore. Also, steroids are not magic they won't turn a 5'4 white guy into the next NBA star.
    I don't think so. When I first got into lifting in the gym, it seemed everyone was on them except me because at the time I was broke and had no way to attain them. I wanted to do them at 19 just like any other male trying to get buffed. Fortunately lack of funds kept me doing it naturally.
    Youtube just made it more available to view. Back then, you only heard from it from the local guys in the gym. So maybe the perception is that it's more common, but before they were illegalized, dudes were bringing gym bags of them and selling them and injecting them in the locker rooms before workouts. I've witnessed this many many times between the 80's and early 90's.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just a quick note here though: If you see or hear of anyone selling them at gyms or highschools, they should be reported right away. Chances are they are underground manufactured and someone could get seriously ill since there's no way to verify if they are legit. Not to mention it's illegal to sell without a prescription.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sorry, but this isn't true. While not "legal" in the sport, bodybuilding is the OBVIOUS "sport" that steroids are the most rampant. And while the IFBB (organization that holds the most contests for pros and amateurs) state that it's "illegal" for PED use when competing, there's absolutely hard core use and the federation does NOTHING about it. And it is talked about openly especially when guys talk about stacks, dosage, etc. What they don't talk about is how they get them.
    While I don't condone the use of them for getting fit, it's apparent that they do work. Many famous actors use them now in mainstream Hollywood to get parts in movies.
    As for the younger athletes now, I would think that usage has toned down quite a bit with probably the exception of football.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You took my quote out of context. I was talking about my experience and I said "at the gyms here". I wasn't applying it to higher levels. I have no knowledge of that.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    This is all so helpful - thank you. Interesting role that the youtube vids, etc., are playing - my middle child (16) is working hard and very focused on weightlifting at the moment. We're very open with one another, and I am simply trying to be proactive. But it's not like he's face to face with a trainer (who I know) in our local gym ... he's listening to - whoever - on youtube. It makes me a little nervous - he's a full-steam-ahead (workout in the garage before school) kid, and he's seeing results quickly. I'm proud of him - not suspicious. Just cautious. I appreciate your comments.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ok, stupid question, do they not test body builders at competitions? I know there are natural shows, but do they just take peoples' word for it? And is it different for powerlifters? Do they typically test for those competitions?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I am willing to wager that 80% of the elite athletes in most sport is using some kind of PED.

But no, it isn't uncommon at all. The usage is actually growing as there is a growing following that believe it is safe to use in "moderation".
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ok, stupid question, do they not test body builders at competitions? I know there are natural shows, but do they just take peoples' word for it? And is it different for powerlifters? Do they typically test for those competitions?
    Lol, they "randomly" test and usually when they do, it's not at competitions. The reality is that body building is a cultish type of industry and people like to see the "freakish" (not a disparging word in bodybuilding) size and shape attained by the competitors. There was ONE year I remember they implemented suspensions for those that tested positive and it was the one year that the whole federation almost went bankrupt since no one of high fame in the competition made attempts knowing they would be suspended if tested. It's still about the money and it's ACCEPTED that in the body building world, drug use is fine. Sad but true.
    Can't tell you as much about powerlifting competitions since I don't attend those as much, nor did I ever compete or train that way. I know a lot about body building because I "grew up" in it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What's sad in the USA is that congress illegalized them due to "athlete" use, to set and example for our youth and promised any pro using them would suffer by being imprisoned. I still haven't seen one prominent athlete who was busted using them going to jail. Who did go to jail? The average gym goer who used them to better themselves.
    As I mentioned, they obviously work and the average person using them will likely not even use the dosages or stacks that professional body builders use.
    My personal feeling on them is that even though I could use them, I'd fear that I'd never get off them once I start. I still am in contact with many of the guys I used to work out with back in the day and many of them who used are still using.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    So you are saying you are not cheating because you use a banned substance to make you bigger, but it is ok because you still train?

That is the worst logic I have ever heard.

Since his goal is to look good, not sure I would consider it "banned" (going by what he said. Not sure it's illegal there) :) I get what you are saying though.

That brings up the question though, is it cheating if everyone is doing it?