How much protein to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    To help consume the higher protein should I consider protein shakes?

Only if you have difficulty filling in your protein requirements. I much prefer my protein from regular food as stated above but sometimes with my busy schedule I can't do that all the time and thats where the protein shake comes in.
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options
    Are you trying to build muscle? Are you lifting weights? Or do you feel you need to eat more protein just because your boyfriend told you to?

If you do aim to gain muscle, then yes you will need to eat more protein. You can get protein from chicken, turkey, quinoa, non fat cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, tofu etc. If you feel you still can't consume enough protein from your food, then yes you can drink protein shakes.

But I wouldn't drink protein shakes unless your goal is muscle gain.

Theres nothing wrong with Protein shakes if your working at a deficit. It is all preference.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    normal recommendation is one gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass ...

also, eating protein has nothing to do with losing weight. All you need for that is a calorie deficit....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Are you trying to build muscle? Are you lifting weights? Or do you feel you need to eat more protein just because your boyfriend told you to?

If you do aim to gain muscle, then yes you will need to eat more protein. You can get protein from chicken, turkey, quinoa, non fat cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, tofu etc. If you feel you still can't consume enough protein from your food, then yes you can drink protein shakes.

actually you need more calories and carbs to build muscle..

protein = preserve muscle mass on a cut
    carbs = build muscle on a surplus
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    To help consume the higher protein should I consider protein shakes?

Shakes are supplements and should be used as such.. to "supplement" your diet.

You'll be much happier with real foods. Try real sources of protein and vary your diet and supplement accordingly. Best of luck.

This just crossed my mind but if the accumulated storage was likely done in the presence of increased carb/fat loading over time. Then when reversing, wouldn't it behoove the person to reverse what they did, increase the protein then control the other variables such as dietary fat as needed and carb allotement based on activity level and/or loss.

Which would mean that at some point or another the protein intake would be slightly higher than LBM requirements, so even a female at lets say 110# would still take in more than 100g at some point or another depending on goals and/or time losing.

In summary: increase protein based on needs, the supplied ranges are appropriate and I concur. Best of luck and may the gains be with you.

• sekehl2001
    Options
    I am trying to loose weight and tone up. What is a good daily cal intake
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Good point about the carbs, I didn't mean to suggest she shouldn't be eating carbs too.

I just worry that she's a little confused about why she needs to be eating so much protein if her goal is just weight loss.

• MeganFlanagan16
    MeganFlanagan16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Lol 40% of your diet should be protien... If you customize your MFP goals and select how many calories you want to consume in a day and set the goals to 40% protien, 40% Carbs, 20% fat itll give you the amounts you should be eating per day as a part of your goals.
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options

Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought carbs, protein plus fat were equally important when bulking up.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought carbs, protein plus fat were equally important when bulking up.

no, when bulking you want to get most of your calories from carbs. Protein and fats are secondary, but still important.

My understanding is that the insulin spikes that carbs produce stimulate muscle growth.

There is a great sticky in the "gaining forum" that lays it all out rather nicely.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Lol 40% of your diet should be protien... If you customize your MFP goals and select how many calories you want to consume in a day and set the goals to 40% protien, 40% Carbs, 20% fat itll give you the amounts you should be eating per day as a part of your goals.

what?
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »

All Macronutrients including Micronutrients are equally important following nutrional guidelines and nutrional requirements whether in surplus or deficit.

Perception of course but all are equally important. Consume as much of each to accomplish goals and be flexible when available.
  • MrCoolGrim
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Never mind!
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options

what?

What? I thought it made sense? These are the goals my personal trainer told me to aim for per day.
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options

what?

What? I thought it made sense? These are the goals my personal trainer told me to aim for per day.

My macros are similar - 35% protein, 40% carbs and 25% fat
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

what?

#1 - most personal trainers know diddly-squat about nutrition

#2 - you are not everyone. Different people have different goals, different sizes, different activity levels, etc which all can affect optimal macro breakdowns. One number doesn't fit all.
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options
    You need ample amount of protien to repair the muscle... Hence why a lot of people drink protien shakes after strength training.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 220 lbs of protein each day. FML.
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options

what?

My macros are similar - 35% protein, 40% carbs and 25% fat

Thank you lol... I understand not everyone is the same, but those are the goals I have been sticking to and I've lost 9lbs in 2 weeks along with gaining muscle. 40% Protien, 40%Carbs, and 20% Fat. I doubt my personal trainer doesnt know what he's talking about. After all he is nothing but muscle.
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options
    I typically eat 220 lbs of protein each day. FML.

Ummmm :o