Weight loss pills

Options

Replies

• MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Don't waist your money, instead but some cute work out gear that gets u motivated to work out- that's what i do. And just eat at a deficit. I had a baby a year and a half ago and the weight is finally coming off cuz I'm doing it the right way. Be patient, do it right, u don't need any magic pills, and know it's going to take a bit to get where u want to be, but enjoy the journey there

she said it all!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I am trying to stay under 1010 calories a day and before I was pretty much eating anything probably closer to 2000 calories a day so i pretty much cut my caloric intake in half which is why I'm so hungry. I just wish I didn't obsess over food everyday. Being a stay at home mom I have too much time to think about food and how hungry I am.

No wonder you're hungry all the time! I would be hungry if I dropped that low, too, and I don't even have the added calorie burn from breastfeeding that you have to worry about.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I am trying to stay under 1010 calories a day and before I was pretty much eating anything probably closer to 2000 calories a day so i pretty much cut my caloric intake in half which is why I'm so hungry. I just wish I didn't obsess over food everyday. Being a stay at home mom I have too much time to think about food and how hungry I am.
    A 1000 calories and breast feeding?? Ohh lourdy you need to eat more!!!!
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone has already said this, but...Most diet pills come down to "fancy new super herb/berry/root" + caffeine + water pill. So, I'm going to say my "diet pill" is my morning cup of coffee, because it seems to cover 2 outta 3 of those :D (And, for some reason, I'm less hungry in the morning if I'm supping on coffee.)
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Wow a lot of interesting points of view! Yeah so far just cutting calories and making an effort to exercise and be more active I've lost 4 lbs this week. The main reason I ask about pills is because I am soooo hungry all the time. I don't know if it's because I'm breastfeeding but I'm hoping once I stop my appetite isn't as ravenous. I've always had a large appetite though which has always been my downfall.

I was starving all the time while breastfeeding. It was my body's way of telling me that, even though pregnancy was over, I needed to keep eating for two, as this little man of mine was depending solely on me to nourish him.

I just noticed that you said you are eating about 1010 calories a day. This is dangerously low for anyone, especially breastfeeding moms. You need your calories plus your little one's calories for both of your health, or you could end up sick and even more tired than I'm sure you are, and it could have negative effects on the babe.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OP, you are eating way to little.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    You should be eating way more while nursing!!!! SMH!
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I'm 5'2" and have about 15 pounds to lose and I'm losing (albeit slowly but still) off of around 1600 calories a day. If you're accurately recording your intake at 1010 calories, you can (and should!!) definitely be able to eat more and lose weight, and not be starving all at once! Have you talked with your doctor about a reasonable calorie goal for healthily losing weight while breastfeeding?

You can also use this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to help you determine what a good calorie goal would be without the breastfeeding then add on those 500 ish calories from there; with my stats as an example, if I was breastfeeding, I should be able to eat around 2100 calories and still be at a weight loss deficit. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised with how much more you get to eat while still losing weight :)
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    There are very few effective appetite suppressants on the market today.

I have not tried any of the fat-uptake-blocking diet pills, but I would not use them. As has been noted, what they do is block the uptake of fat in your intestines, and as a result the fat leaks out the other end. This results in a lot of uncomfortable social consequences. It has the result of blocking about 20% of the calories as a result of blocking fats.

But since you end up getting uncontrollable leakage from it, people stop eating the fats that cause the problem. It's basically aversion therapy. So if you were going to cut fat from your diet resulting in a 20% calorie deficit anyway, save the money.

The other avenue is appetite suppressants. There are three that I am aware of:

Qsymia (Phentermine/topiramate)
    Phentermine
    Topomax
    Belviq (Lorcaserin)

All of these have serious side effects and can only be gotten through a prescription under the supervision of a doctor. You basically have to have a BMI over 30 and a weight-related comorbidity like hypertension.

Qsymia is a time-release variant of Phentermine and Topomax. It is expensive and not generally covered by insurance. Runs about $180 a month.

Many doctors have been prescribing a generic equivalent of Phentermine and Topomax. Phentermine is generally not covered by insurance but costs me $30 a month. Topomax is covered and costs me pennies a month.

These are power drugs and can have serious side effects. Topomax can cause memory loss issues, however in the low doses used for weight loss this is not typical. The phentermine definitely jacks me up in the morning and it takes all day to burn it off. I don't find the sensation exactly pleasant in the morning but on week 3 now I am getting accustomed to it. By lunch I am on a fairly even keel. I can see how some people could crave the "up" from these things but the accompanying jitters are not for me. But this combination of drugs absolutely kills appetite. Also absolutely kills sex drive, by the way. I saw this with the diet drug Redux back in the 90's, too.

Willpower is a serious issue and has been the downfall of every weight loss attempt I have ever made. Knowing what I now know about obesity and the body's defense mechanisms to try and preserve fat stores I have no problem at all resorting to medication to beat this problem. Just like a diabetic requires medication to control their condition or a person with high blood pressure requires medication to control their condition, I see obesity as a condition that requires medication to stop hunger so that I have the willpower to stick to a caloric regimen.

I would not pay a whole lot of attention to the naysayers. More and more doctors are coming to the conclusion that the traditional advice of "eat less and exercise more" is not effective for most people. If you feel you need something to give you the willpower edge to win this fight, talk with your doctor, and work under doctor supervision with strict caloric and weight tracking.

Thanks for posting. Lots of people take something, most won't admit it on the boards. ;)

I agree with you. It very well might be what the OP needs to help keep the cravings at bay while she learns about diet/exercise, and gets some of the bad crap out of her diet. Of course she will still need to keep track of her calories in and will still need to exercise.

Giving up sugar makes me insane. Like heroine withdrawals insane. Yet I need to do it. Why wouldn't I take something so those around me need not fear for their lives during the transition? :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DistantJ wrote: »

I have not tried any of the fat-uptake-blocking diet pills, but I would not use them. As has been noted, what they do is block the uptake of fat in your intestines, and as a result the fat leaks out the other end. This results in a lot of uncomfortable social consequences. It has the result of blocking about 20% of the calories as a result of blocking fats.

But since you end up getting uncontrollable leakage from it, people stop eating the fats that cause the problem. It's basically aversion therapy. So if you were going to cut fat from your diet resulting in a 20% calorie deficit anyway, save the money.

Phentermine
    Topomax
    Belviq (Lorcaserin)

All of these have serious side effects and can only be gotten through a prescription under the supervision of a doctor. You basically have to have a BMI over 30 and a weight-related comorbidity like hypertension.

Qsymia is a time-release variant of Phentermine and Topomax. It is expensive and not generally covered by insurance. Runs about $180 a month.

Many doctors have been prescribing a generic equivalent of Phentermine and Topomax. Phentermine is generally not covered by insurance but costs me $30 a month. Topomax is covered and costs me pennies a month.

These are power drugs and can have serious side effects. Topomax can cause memory loss issues, however in the low doses used for weight loss this is not typical. The phentermine definitely jacks me up in the morning and it takes all day to burn it off. I don't find the sensation exactly pleasant in the morning but on week 3 now I am getting accustomed to it. By lunch I am on a fairly even keel. I can see how some people could crave the "up" from these things but the accompanying jitters are not for me. But this combination of drugs absolutely kills appetite. Also absolutely kills sex drive, by the way. I saw this with the diet drug Redux back in the 90's, too.

Willpower is a serious issue and has been the downfall of every weight loss attempt I have ever made. Knowing what I now know about obesity and the body's defense mechanisms to try and preserve fat stores I have no problem at all resorting to medication to beat this problem. Just like a diabetic requires medication to control their condition or a person with high blood pressure requires medication to control their condition, I see obesity as a condition that requires medication to stop hunger so that I have the willpower to stick to a caloric regimen.

I would not pay a whole lot of attention to the naysayers. More and more doctors are coming to the conclusion that the traditional advice of "eat less and exercise more" is not effective for most people. If you feel you need something to give you the willpower edge to win this fight, talk with your doctor, and work under doctor supervision with strict caloric and weight tracking.

Thanks for posting. Lots of people take something, most won't admit it on the boards. ;)

I agree with you. It very well might be what the OP needs to help keep the cravings at bay while she learns about diet/exercise, and gets some of the bad crap out of her diet. Of course she will still need to keep track of her calories in and will still need to exercise.

Giving up sugar makes me insane. Like heroine withdrawals insane. Yet I need to do it. Why wouldn't I take something so those around me need not fear for their lives during the transition? :)

Please read what OP is actually eating per day (1010 calories!!!) coupled with that she is nursing. She does not need diet pills!!!
  • MrCoolGrim
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Only

Phentermine
    Topomax
    Belviq (Lorcaserin)

So what your saying is you would go to one extreme to another just so your cravings subside. So how do you fix it if your numb?
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

You aren't even eating enough to keep your own body functioning properly, much less making nutrient rich milk for your baby. PLEASE don't do this to yourself! Looking a little thinner just isn't worth it right now. I have had 6 children and nursed them all and I remember the days of being young and wanting to hurry and get the weight back off. But, I always held onto 10-15 lbs. until I finished nursing. I also learned not to rush the baby to wean, just to let it all takes its course. Nursing moms need more calories than when we are pregnant. Please consider this because your baby's health could be at risk. As another poster had said, add 500 calories to your daily intake to make sure you are eating enough. I would imagine you are obsessed with food because you are starving.

One more thing (which does not have to do with this topic) is to get your vitamin D checked periodically, especially during/after breastfeeding. I sooooo wish I had done this because I ended up extremely vit. D deficient and it has taken some years to get it back to normal. Pregnancy and breastfeeding can zap vit. D, as well as other nutrients if you aren't eating well.

Best wishes,
    Karen

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

Really? Where did you get this information?

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh my... You are not eating near enough food. Not for yourself or your baby. You need to eat WAY more food.

Edited because I re read the OP and realized you were referring to after you were done breastfeeding.
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I took 2 advils this morning does that count?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I took 2 advils this morning does that count?

Not unless they contained hallucinogenics! ;)

Well, or unless you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. Or peek routinely in people's windows at night and see them taking weight loss pills despite their strident objections against them on the forum.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    No. Not necessarily. Hunger is not always just physical and it is not necessarily a fat store replenishment reaction, as many people continue to have "hunger" far beyond their calorie needs even when they haven't recently been dieting (and/or using weight loss pills). For many people, it's also very, very mental, and/or emotional. And to a large extent, for many of us, it is habit.

But we were talking about if you had been on diet pills for years. In which case by that time new habits should be well formed.

But it's almost a certainty that if you stop taking the diet pills, you'll be hungry again if you were obese before your weight loss. It has happened to everyone studied so far (over 50 people) but it is true, scientists won't say it happens to everyone.
    By the way, I absolutely love the chainmail in your picture.

Thanks. I used to do make and sell it.
    Just another excuse! Wow. Have you gone for a run yet?

It is not an excuse to point out what is causing a failure to adhere to a weight loss regimen and take steps to prevent that failure. Why would you belittle someone for that?
    so you've been taking diet pills for 15 years? and you're still overweight?

No, I have not been taking diet pills for 15 years. I took Redux for about 6 months before it was pulled off of the market. I have been on phentermine/Topomax for 2 weeks.
    perhaps you wouldn't have such huge cravings if you ate at a reasonable calorie deficit instead of one that has you eating less than many women on this site who weigh half of what you do.

I assume you are looking at my recent diary entries? The reason I am currently able to eat as I am is because I have no appetite thanks to the appetite suppressants. It is now trivial to hit my calorie goals where before it was a struggle.

• mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone has already said this, but...Most diet pills come down to "fancy new super herb/berry/root" + caffeine + water pill. So, I'm going to say my "diet pill" is my morning cup of coffee, because it seems to cover 2 outta 3 of those :D (And, for some reason, I'm less hungry in the morning if I'm supping on coffee.)

Hahahahha me too!

• salenamartine
    Options
    I'm pretty overweight at the moment. I gained 80 lbs when pregnant and have lost about 50. And I was already overweight when I got pregnant. I am in the process of weaning. My baby is 11 months old now and I'm taking away one feed a week and it's actually going really well. I'm just tired of being overweight. I got the info on the calories on This app after I put my height weight and that I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week. I have been eating about 300 more calories everyday than the 1010. I know my health and Baby's health are most important. I'm just stuck around 200 lbs and I really want to be in a healthy range for my frame and height. After reading all these posts I don't think I'll go the diet pills route and I'll add a few more calories while I'm breastfeeding. I appreciate all the feedback!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm pretty overweight at the moment. I gained 80 lbs when pregnant and have lost about 50. And I was already overweight when I got pregnant. I am in the process of weaning. My baby is 11 months old now and I'm taking away one feed a week and it's actually going really well. I'm just tired of being overweight. I got the info on the calories on This app after I put my height weight and that I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week. I have been eating about 300 more calories everyday than the 1010. I know my health and Baby's health are most important. I'm just stuck around 200 lbs and I really want to be in a healthy range for my frame and height. After reading all these posts I don't think I'll go the diet pills route and I'll add a few more calories while I'm breastfeeding. I appreciate all the feedback!

My completely unprofessional opinion :): While you are still nursing, set your goal to maintenance or maybe 1/2 lb loss per week (I'm not sure what is medically recommended for nursing mothers so keep that in mind) and eat all those calories. Get a feel for where your strengths and weaknesses are in your eating and start moving more. Then once you have weaned, change it to 1 lb per week. I know it is frustrating, but it is so important to be patient and not get discouraged when it doesn't come off as fast as you want it to! Take care of yourself and good luck!