wieght training or cardio? Which is better for fat burning?

Options
2»

Replies

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Cardio will burn more fat.

What about the repair muscle process that goes on?

I don't know, what?

You know it takes energy for muscle to repair right. So that added calories to repair muscles. Can you really say a hour long weight lifting session burns less than a one hour cardio session in a 24 hour period.

I think the cardio still burns more fat, strictly speaking, all things being equal. I still do more weight training myself, for the reasons stated by y'all.

It doesn't with all things being equal.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
    Even with this unrealistic 800 calorie a day diet. The resistance trained group came out way ahead.
    From Bret Contreras on this study:
    "The cardio training group lost 28.2 lbs of fat, lost 9.0 lbs of lean body mass, and decreased resting metabolic rate by 210.7 calories per day. On the other hand, the resistance training group lost 32.0 lbs of fat, lost only 1.8 lbs of lean body mass, and increased resting metabolic rate by 63.3 calories per day"

This is very interesting, thank you. Hmm, so now I retract my statement, I don't know.

• mshessle
    mshessle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Cardio will burn more fat.

What about the repair muscle process that goes on?

I don't know, what?

You know it takes energy for muscle to repair right. So that added calories to repair muscles. Can you really say a hour long weight lifting session burns less than a one hour cardio session in a 24 hour period.

I think the cardio still burns more fat, strictly speaking, all things being equal. I still do more weight training myself, for the reasons stated by y'all.

It doesn't with all things being equal.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
    Even with this unrealistic 800 calorie a day diet. The resistance trained group came out way ahead.
    From Bret Contreras on this study:
    "The cardio training group lost 28.2 lbs of fat, lost 9.0 lbs of lean body mass, and decreased resting metabolic rate by 210.7 calories per day. On the other hand, the resistance training group lost 32.0 lbs of fat, lost only 1.8 lbs of lean body mass, and increased resting metabolic rate by 63.3 calories per day"

There were only 20 subjects in that study, so I'm not blown away with that research. Do you know of any other valid studies that have come to similar conclusions?