Relationships that start out Long Distance

Options
Behavior_Modification
Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
I would love to hear from people who have experienced this. Are you in a relationship where you met the person online and got to know eachother even though they live a little farther away ...and it ended up working out?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    It worked out for a long time. The thing is that eventually, someone will have to move.
  • ♥jewel♥
    ♥jewel♥ Posts: 839
    Options
    I know that you have asked me about this before. I met my husband in a yahoo chat room 12 years ago. We were an on-line, long distance relationship for 2 years and I moved half way across the country for him 10 years ago in August. There are a few regrets (not to do with him) but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Heather is right though - at some point, some one is going to have to make a huge sacrifice and move for the other person.

Much love
    jewel
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I'll give you an example of one that did NOT work out haha :) My bf and I were together for 2 years... We're just very young and it wasn't good timing/blend of personalities... But I really loved him and I was willing to give it all up for him, he just wasn't willing to do the same... But I do know some people go through this and it does work out in the end!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Geek married to another geek here. Met whilst gaming online -- which has only been less embarrassing to say in the last 5 years or so. It was very expensive at first. Long distance phone calls (not so much a factor these days) and flights back and forth every couple of weeks. Very, very expensive. We did the long distance thing for a couple years.

We've been together for over a decade now.

*nods in agreement with the posts above* Someone'll have to make the move eventually.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My husband and I didn't meet on the internet but we started our relationship 300 miles away and continued in a long distance relationship for 4 years. Needless to say, although it is tough it worked out. :)

My best friend met her future husband on myspace 5 years ago. (Yikes, her parents don't know this still to this day :) )They continued are now engaged and are going to be married next spring.

Just like any relationship, it takes a lot of effort, patience, trust and understanding.

Good luck!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i moved twice to be with someone, one i met online one in real life, the third time (online dating) i put my foot down and refused to move, thankfully it made more sense as he had been made redundant and i was in full time work so he didn't kick up much fuss, we will have been living together in our home for a year next month (plus the six months we both squeezed into my flat) thankfully we are very happy with each other
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Yep! I "met" DH online through a friend of a friend.... we chatted on Yahoo IM (as a group and alone) for months.... then slowly progressed to phone calls. I met him in person about 9 months after we first started IMing.

After that we dated long distance for about 8 months before I moved 1500 miles to be with him (I also had a job offer in the new City at that point).

So in total... I moved halfway across the country to be with him LESS than 2 years after we first started "chatting".

Incredibly scary? YEP! But somehow I knew the decision was the right one for me at the time. I've never regretted it once. :love:
  • Nharah
    Nharah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ha.. I am also a geek married to another geek and we met in Shadowbane in 2003. We used Ventrilo to talk everyday for 2 years before we actually met IRL. Then the traveling... 3 years of that. We ended up both moving to be together. So... 7 years now
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Ok so I didn't meet mine online. But I have had him across the world for a year (gone 6 months home a month and gone six months) twice in the last 4 years. The biggest thing is communication. Without it no relationship has a chance. And then once that huge move/sacfifice is done, allowing each other to get used to the normal routines. Nothing like being together 12 years and having to adjust to living together again. It can be difficult because you are now joining two seperate lives and those idiosyncranise may or may not mesh. :flowerforyou:
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I met my husband "through mutual friends" - well, that's what I tell people who I think will be a bit weirded out by us meeting in a chat room. He was in Scotland and I was in Florida. The long distance part didn't last long though, as we were married a little over a year after our first face-to-face meeting. I moved to Scotland, because a) I hated Florida and b) it was much easier to get through all the red tape coming this way than for him to go the other way. Besides, being the nerd that he is, he's in quite a specialized field and there's only 3 places in the States where they do his work (one of which is Oklahoma - no thank you!).

I've had a couple other friends who have met their partners in similar fashion and continue to be together.

Oh, and we've been married 6 1/2 years.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I met my bf on myspace in like...2004.
    We talked on and off, then alllll the time, then I was getting in trouble in computer classes for talking to him on one of very few blocked sites with a chat function (I still aced all the homework in that class!), then we finally met.
    It didnt take long before we were dating.

He only lived about an hour drive from me, and when I was 17 he was 22...but he still picked me up from school almost every Friday.
    The girls were SO jealous it was hilarious to me.

We're on our 3rd time dating and I'm 99% that we're in it for the long haul now.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Not a huge distance but BF and I met online (okcupid... LOL) and lived 100 miles apart for roughly two years before I decided enough was enough. Even just moving to another part of the state was scary and nerve wracking but it was worth it for us. It's been three and a half years now and things are better than they've ever been.

Communication is important in any relationship but when there's no body language/facial expression to rely on you have to be much more open.

Good luck!!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I met my husband though an online dating service. He was in NYC and I was in Massachusetts. Fortunately the distance between us was only 250 miles. We chatted online for about 2 weeks before we decided to meet. Once we met we both pretty much knew it was going to work out. I moved down here a few weeks later and within two months we were married. Fast I know, but by the time you're in your late 30s you pretty much know exactly what you're looking for... and when it's right, you know it. We've been married for two years.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I met my ex husband online. We knew each other from a chat room for probably 5 years or so before we started dating long distance. It was only a few months after we started dating when I decided to move to the other side of the country to be with him. It was pretty rocky, and we were together for 7 years, were married for 2 of those 7. I don't regret moving, but I do regret staying in the relationship as long as I did.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My guy lives in Florida and I live on Vancouver Island........ So about 3000 miles apart. It sucks we can't see each other as much as we want to, but at the same time we're both happy/spontaneous so we'll just have to see how it works out in the end <3:)
    Good luck xo
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend for the first time about 12 years ago through a friend, but we didn't get to know each other properly until about 2 years ago. We met on holiday (I was visiting my best friend and his best friend was visiting her as well and had brought him along). We got along great and started seeing each other not long after - he was living in another town at the time about an hour away. We were together about 6 months before we moved in together, and we've been together ever since. :-)
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I met my geeky soul mate online in 2003. We chatted via email, several times a day, for a month or so, and then he asked me out to dinner. Neither of us knew what each other looked like but it didn't matter because as far as we were both concerned, we were just two chums going out for a meal. We emailed each other our photos a few hours before we were due to meet, and our reactions were the same....phwoarrr! :laugh:

He drove to the other side of the county to take me out, and we've been together ever since! This year we celebrated our 8th anniversary!

We *both* ended up moving to be with each other; at first, renting separate houses in neighbouring towns for a couple of years (we didn't want to rush into anything hasty!), then finally, buying a house together in 2006. Blissfully happy doesn't come close!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I met my fiance online, and we both moved...instead of me moving in with him or vice versa, we moved to a completely different part of the province. I think it worked better than me invading his space and him trying to convert my space...we had OUR space. And that way we didn't resent each other for forcing the other one to move...we both made the sacrifice not just one of us.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It wasn't online, but it was long distance! I was in NC, and my husband-to-be was in FL. We worked together and had only ever talked on the phone. Once we met face-to-face, we knew we should be together. We were fortunate in that his company in FL was able to find a position for him here in NC, so he just transferred from one location to another. Been together going on 12 years now.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I "met" my hubby online first but we didn't continue to chat online because we lived close enough that we met in person and started dating but we have been together for 12 years and married 11 years. Still going strong if not even stronger than we were. I think online dating can be so scary (I lucked out). Be careful hun we all love you and are rooting for you.:flowerforyou: