What the hell do I eat

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hhhmmmm...i KNOW i will get called on this but...here i go...
    You cannot have anything you please. That mentality is what got us in trouble in the first place. Whole foods that are not prepackaged is best. PB? Mmmmm...maybe natural but not Skippy or what have you. I have begun eating salads without dressing because i still get plenty of flavor from the meat and tomatos and jalapenos etc. Why add unneeded calories and bad carbs?
    Spaghetti sqaush is a great alternative to noodles and my kids liked it better. We felt full on less volume with it too.
    And we just tried fresh mango....pretty good actually. Look at food as a fresh new adventure. Try new recipes and dont be afraid to buy in bulk and spend one day a week cooking for the entire week ahead and freeze what you are able.
    Good luck and hope this helped some.

WOAH! How did I miss this...

You do not need to live a dressing-less existence. What's wrong with oil and vinegar? Dietary fat is good for you...

And there's really no such things as bad carbs. They are just carbs.

The only reason why I ever have fat free dressing is because I'm saving macros for butter later. For. Real.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

The only reason why I ever have fat free dressing is because I'm saving macros for butter later. For. Real.

I use fat free ranch dressing in place of mayo on sandwiches. That's about the only thing I use it for - otherwise, I use a viniagrette or oil/vinegar. Yum!

• Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do cottage cheese crepes for breakfast. Under 200 caloroes and really decadent. Not really portable tho
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    mcyd137 wrote: »

Now, I know I should eat eggs for breakfast but it's one of the more annoying things to prep ahead of time. Maybe that's just me.

Hard-boiled eggs are supposedly easy to make (not for me...I ruin them almost every time). I'll probably eventually just break down and buy a cooker but for now, I just pick up a half-dozen hard boiled eggs from the deli section when I go grocery shopping.

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs = PUT THE EGGS IN A COVERED PAN ON HIGH BRING TO A ROLLING BOIL THEN TURN THE HEAT TO LOW AND LEAVE ON (AND COVERED) FOR 11 MINUTES.

• PRMinx
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

I use fat free ranch dressing in place of mayo on sandwiches. That's about the only thing I use it for - otherwise, I use a viniagrette or oil/vinegar. Yum!

I love ALL the fats haha. I have used FF ranch as a spread in the past - but now I'm really liking laughing cow.

And I actually hate fat free dressing but, hey, gotta do what you gotta do to be able to put lots of butter in the sweet potatoes. Priorities!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing apples and bananas with PB is the WORST snack ever if you are trying to loose weight...true/not true?

Not true. I don't personally like peanut butter (which makes me a heretic around here), but it's got protein and fat and thus seems a great and filling complement to fruit, what could be bad? Lots of calories, of course, but just measure carefully and log them.

On your meals, just don't be afraid of variety. Sometimes people get in a rut where they think because they are dieting they MUST eat only skinless chicken or fish (or must do low fat or cut out their favorite foods), but I've eaten all kinds of protein and simply make sure I know the calories and pick my sides accordingly. Having a good variety of foods is apparently not something that matters to everyone, but made it sustainable for me over the past year and -- ideally -- for a lifetime.

I also agree with the person above who said no need to do traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. I usually do have eggs, but sometimes I get bored and just have leftover dinner or some such.

I try to be good about bringing my lunch and having dinner option on hand if I have to stay late (I often stay late but end up making dinner at 10 pm just because I prefer to cook dinner when home, but sometimes that's not feasible). My latest thing for making lunch has been to do an overnight slowcooker of turkey parts (breast or legs or wings) and then pulling the meat off the bone--I like it as a switch-up for chicken. Also delicious but a few more calories (I just limit the starch and add extra non starchy veggies to make room) have been lamb shanks and pork shoulder, also in the slow cooker.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »

Now, I know I should eat eggs for breakfast but it's one of the more annoying things to prep ahead of time. Maybe that's just me.

Hard-boiled eggs are supposedly easy to make (not for me...I ruin them almost every time). I'll probably eventually just break down and buy a cooker but for now, I just pick up a half-dozen hard boiled eggs from the deli section when I go grocery shopping.

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs = PUT THE EGGS IN A COVERED PAN ON HIGH BRING TO A ROLLING BOIL THEN TURN THE HEAT TO LOW AND LEAVE ON (AND COVERED) FOR 11 MINUTES.

^This

And I would add that older eggs are better for hard boiling.
  • mcyd137
    mcyd137 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'm a variety girl. When I get bored I change it up.

To change up breakfast, try a different spread like Quark or light Philadelphia cream cheese. Change the muffin. Do a wrap. There's an overnight steel cut oats that I have at least once a week. Someone here suggested non-breakfast foods at breakfast and on that suggestion I had some home-made soup warmed up in the microwave. That with pumpernickel bread I found most satisfying.

Here's a list of mid-day snacks.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

For lunch I just don't do sandwiches any more. I also went in to a funk for several months where I couldn't stomach another tossed salad. So I made other vegetables. Typically I have leftovers from the night before. Have you thought of wraps?

As for dinner, change up the meat to ALL OF THEM. Well trimmed of fat, the choice of meat can change up your dinner to all sorts of special dishes. I had turkey chili last night. On the weekend, it was a vegetarian eggplant dish, the veggies breaded and baked, then covered in spaghetti sauce and cheese.

A lot a great ideas here, thanks!!!
  • urloved33
    Options

^This

yes you are right...really fresh eggs hard boil in a way that makes it hard to peel after you boil them.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

^This

This, except I actually learned to turn the heat entirely off after it boils.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You cannot have anything you please. That mentality is what got us in trouble in the first place. Whole foods that are not prepackaged is best. PB? Mmmmm...maybe natural but not Skippy or what have you. I have begun eating salads without dressing because i still get plenty of flavor from the meat and tomatos and jalapenos etc. Why add unneeded calories and bad carbs?
    Spaghetti sqaush is a great alternative to noodles and my kids liked it better. We felt full on less volume with it too.
    And we just tried fresh mango....pretty good actually. Look at food as a fresh new adventure. Try new recipes and dont be afraid to buy in bulk and spend one day a week cooking for the entire week ahead and freeze what you are able.

You do not need to live a dressing-less existence. What's wrong with oil and vinegar? Dietary fat is good for you...

bad carbs killed my brother....
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I make my eggs in the oven. Turn the oven to 350. Place one egg in each of 12 muffin holes in a muffin pan. Put them in the oven for 35 minutes. Take them out and immediately immerse them in an ice bath. Done. No stinking hot egg water. I do this twice a week because my teenage boys like to snack on them too.
  • urloved33
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

^This

This, except I actually learned to turn the heat entirely off after it boils.

At first I was turning the heat completely off but my eggs were coming out unevenly cooked so now after it comes to a rolling boil, i leave it on low...covered for 11 minutes and my eggs come out uniformed and thoroughly hard boiled.

• PRMinx
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

bad carbs killed my brother....

Wow. Must have been one hell of a carb. Was it sugar? Please tell me it was sugar.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    In to say....I eat peanut butter and apples all the time. Although, let's be honest, the apple is really just a cover to eat peanut butter.

I just make it fit. Somedays it's easier than others to make it fit - I usually don't have peanut butter unless I worked out but that's only because I need those calories for more substantial meals (I'm on a 1420 a day, around 1700 if I work out).

Hahaha I eat peanut butter and apples too, in fact I'm about to have one soon. I weigh 20g of peanut butter, so it's a sad little amount.

I agree hard boiled eggs are good, if you want to eat eggs that is.

Smoothies are nice too, with oats in if you want.

I like rice cakes and you can make sandwiches with them with ham in the middle, or peanut butter, or whatever you want.

When I'm at work (I'm on maternity leave now) I usually take a tuna salad for lunch, and fruit and nuts for snacks. Mini babybel lights make nice snacks too.
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    For breakfast I have one of these things and all I have to do is drop the stuff I want for my sandwich into it while I go do my hair. It means a hot breakfast as I walk out the door.
    [img]http:/][/img]

That's amazing - I have never seen that before. Do you clean it every time you use it, and how long does that take? I saw on the website it says the plates can go in the dishwasher, but I don't run my dishes every day.

• qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I seem to naturally gravitate toward having(/needing) enough variety such that the word "usually" is rendered inapplicable, when it comes to the specific items eaten in my various meals and snacks, and when considered on a day-to-day basis.

Although the specific items vary, and include some days when I eat a breakfast whose content could be considered non-traditional, what I try to use as a guiding principle is a focus on the protein, fiber, fat, sugar, and whole grain aspects, in addition to overall caloric content -- *especially* when it comes to breakfast, given my start-of-the-day need for (enough, and the right kind of) fuel that must allay hunger for several hours, and support the associated physical and mental energy utilized during such time.

I've definitely found that when I include a viable-for-my-needs combination of protein, complex carbs (with a spotlight on fiber), and fats, and especially when it comes to my breakfast, it makes such a difference in my day -- and I've learned that if I don't have much fiber or fat in whatever breakfast I choose to eat, I'll tend to find myself feeling hunger pangs, and running out of fuel, and falling short of my goal of making it to __ o'clock without the distraction of experiencing hunger, let alone slogging it through any need-more-fuel -based sub-optimal functioning.

One of the things (among various others) that I've come to find is a wonderful inclusion for a lunch or dinner option is black bean pasta (brands = Explore Asia, and Tolerant (a manufacturer of chickpea pasta, as well)). Having it be possible to eat spaghetti, penne, or rotini that is made entirely from black beans -- and tastes good, and has terrific texture -- is a godsend. It's high in protein and fiber, and is remarkably filling and satisfying -- and allows me to indulge in my love of pasta without the otherwise dramatically different carb content. What a great way to ingest black beans, a food with a somewhat powerhouse -like nutrition profile. Additionally, I've found that black bean pasta allows for an interestingly compatible 'taste tango' with all kinds of non-traditional pasta sauces (such as Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce, or some 'spicy' pasta sauces), as well as traditional pasta sauces (and with veggie chunk additions that I sometimes add).

Also, I've come to use FAGE Total 0% Plain Greek Yogurt as a kind of condiment -like 'add-on' or 'add-in', and practically view it as a form of 'protein topping', and 'carb hit mitigation factor/complement', when it comes to various dishes. And I use it in place of sour cream and butter -- and whipped cream, for that matter (I'm suddenly reminded of the only way I'll eat french toast now -- whole grain bread, FAGE 0% yogurt, and raspberries (if/when no (real maple) syrup of any kind is used (real maple syrup is a rare luxury that I partake of once or twice a year))).

Additionally, I add some FAGE 0% yogurt to various concoctions I come up with when utilizing any of the Trader Joe's Indian Fare 'pouch meals'... sometimes I just stir the yogurt in along with some organic brown rice, while other times, I'll use the Indian Fare + FAGE combo as a kind of 'dip' in which to dip baked blue corn tortilla chips.

Also, fwiw, there is a healthy whole grain 'salad' that I purchase from the deli of a nearby international produce market, which is prepared with basic ingredients, and no yuck added to such -- and it's one of several of various items that I purchase now and again from a specialty market deli or a Whole Foods deli, and 'expand on', to enhance the nutritional profile and to increase the overall volume of the enough-for-several-meals end result.

When it comes to the Wheat Berry Salad in question, I slice and cook a good amount of sweet potatoes, apple chunks, and some raisins, before adding the wheat berry salad into the mix, and then stir and cook everything together -- and the outcome not only has a terrific protein, fiber, and carb composition (and is both tasty and remarkably filling), but it also looks so colorful (what with the orange, red, and tannish-brown, and the bright red pepper pieces and herb-based green bits from the original wheat berry salad), and the overall dish has a great variety of textures (with some 'chew' from the wheat berries, a 'falls-apart-in-a-second' aspect from the cooked sweet potatoes, some lightly 'smushy' bites from the cooked apple chunks, and the here-and-there bursting sweet chews of the plumped and glistening raisins).

As for snacks, I mix things up... sometimes it's nuts, or hard boiled eggs, or protein-laden quinoa chips, or some chopped fruit mixed in with non-fat cottage cheese, or a KIND bar, or some tuna with chopped celery, or whole grain and high fiber crackers with some reduced fat cheese, or a glass of milk, or some peanut butter, or a bowl of high fiber cereal, or some yogurt, or a high fiber multigrain wrap with some melted cheese and Hormel real bacon pieces (which feels like eating a boffo bacon dessert ;) ), or some high fiber oatmeal with nuts, or... who knows? :)

All in all, I try to keep enough of various (predominantly ;) ) healthy options (including a variety of fruits and vegetables, high fiber lentil -based soups, and differing protein sources) rotating in and out of the fridge, freezer, and pantry, to allow for an ever-changing variety of what I eat for a meal on any given day. If I had to eat the same breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner every day, it would drive me a bit batty after a while.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    For breakfast I have one of these things and all I have to do is drop the stuff I want for my sandwich into it while I go do my hair. It means a hot breakfast as I walk out the door.
    25475_1.jpg

OMG what is that thing?!?! Is that a real thing?! it looks too good to be true!

@psych101 I love this thing! It took a few tries to optimize how I use it, but it's so worth it.
    hamiltonbeach.com/breakfast-breakfast-sandwich-maker-25475.html

OH. MY. GOD.

This just rocked my world :o
  • aberdangela
    Options
    A good prep ahead for breakfast eggs could be a casserole, or frittatas... Both of which you could freeze in portion amounts then just pop into the microwave when u want em. And for a bread swap try "flat out flat bread" high in fiber, taste good, and doesn't look to have added sugars as so many things do. Low in calories to boot. My fave snack is a flat out pita 2Tb of Daisy cottage cheese, and fried apples with cinnamon, roll it all up together like a pinwheel
  • mcyd137
    mcyd137 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I seem to naturally gravitate toward having(/needing) enough variety such that the word "usually" is rendered inapplicable, when it comes to the specific items eaten in my various meals and snacks, and when considered on a day-to-day basis.

Although the specific items vary, and include some days when I eat a breakfast whose content could be considered non-traditional, what I try to use as a guiding principle is a focus on the protein, fiber, fat, sugar, and whole grain aspects, in addition to overall caloric content -- *especially* when it comes to breakfast, given my start-of-the-day need for (enough, and the right kind of) fuel that must allay hunger for several hours, and support the associated physical and mental energy utilized during such time.

I've definitely found that when I include a viable-for-my-needs combination of protein, complex carbs (with a spotlight on fiber), and fats, and especially when it comes to my breakfast, it makes such a difference in my day -- and I've learned that if I don't have much fiber or fat in whatever breakfast I choose to eat, I'll tend to find myself feeling hunger pangs, and running out of fuel, and falling short of my goal of making it to __ o'clock without the distraction of experiencing hunger, let alone slogging it through any need-more-fuel -based sub-optimal functioning.

One of the things (among various others) that I've come to find is a wonderful inclusion for a lunch or dinner option is black bean pasta (brands = Explore Asia, and Tolerant (a manufacturer of chickpea pasta, as well)). Having it be possible to eat spaghetti, penne, or rotini that is made entirely from black beans -- and tastes good, and has terrific texture -- is a godsend. It's high in protein and fiber, and is remarkably filling and satisfying -- and allows me to indulge in my love of pasta without the otherwise dramatically different carb content. What a great way to ingest black beans, a food with a somewhat powerhouse -like nutrition profile. Additionally, I've found that black bean pasta allows for an interestingly compatible 'taste tango' with all kinds of non-traditional pasta sauces (such as Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce, or some 'spicy' pasta sauces), as well as traditional pasta sauces (and with veggie chunk additions that I sometimes add).

Also, I've come to use FAGE Total 0% Plain Greek Yogurt as a kind of condiment -like 'add-on' or 'add-in', and practically view it as a form of 'protein topping', and 'carb hit mitigation factor/complement', when it comes to various dishes. And I use it in place of sour cream and butter -- and whipped cream, for that matter (I'm suddenly reminded of the only way I'll eat french toast now -- whole grain bread, FAGE 0% yogurt, and raspberries (if/when no (real maple) syrup of any kind is used (real maple syrup is a rare luxury that I partake of once or twice a year))).

Additionally, I add some FAGE 0% yogurt to various concoctions I come up with when utilizing any of the Trader Joe's Indian Fare 'pouch meals'... sometimes I just stir the yogurt in along with some organic brown rice, while other times, I'll use the Indian Fare + FAGE combo as a kind of 'dip' in which to dip baked blue corn tortilla chips.

Also, fwiw, there is a healthy whole grain 'salad' that I purchase from the deli of a nearby international produce market, which is prepared with basic ingredients, and no yuck added to such -- and it's one of several of various items that I purchase now and again from a specialty market deli or a Whole Foods deli, and 'expand on', to enhance the nutritional profile and to increase the overall volume of the enough-for-several-meals end result.

When it comes to the Wheat Berry Salad in question, I slice and cook a good amount of sweet potatoes, apple chunks, and some raisins, before adding the wheat berry salad into the mix, and then stir and cook everything together -- and the outcome not only has a terrific protein, fiber, and carb composition (and is both tasty and remarkably filling), but it also looks so colorful (what with the orange, red, and tannish-brown, and the bright red pepper pieces and herb-based green bits from the original wheat berry salad), and the overall dish has a great variety of textures (with some 'chew' from the wheat berries, a 'falls-apart-in-a-second' aspect from the cooked sweet potatoes, some lightly 'smushy' bites from the cooked apple chunks, and the here-and-there bursting sweet chews of the plumped and glistening raisins).

As for snacks, I mix things up... sometimes it's nuts, or hard boiled eggs, or protein-laden quinoa chips, or some chopped fruit mixed in with non-fat cottage cheese, or a KIND bar, or some tuna with chopped celery, or whole grain and high fiber crackers with some reduced fat cheese, or a glass of milk, or some peanut butter, or a bowl of high fiber cereal, or some yogurt, or a high fiber multigrain wrap with some melted cheese and Hormel real bacon pieces (which feels like eating a boffo bacon dessert ;) ), or some high fiber oatmeal with nuts, or... who knows? :)

All in all, I try to keep enough of various (predominantly ;) ) healthy options (including a variety of fruits and vegetables, high fiber lentil -based soups, and differing protein sources) rotating in and out of the fridge, freezer, and pantry, to allow for an ever-changing variety of what I eat for a meal on any given day. If I had to eat the same breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner every day, it would drive me a bit batty after a while.

Holy wow this is an awesome reply...THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!