Headed to Australia; need motivation

Options

Replies

• FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Oh! And my fellow Aussies will hate me for saying this, but drop bears are NOT real, so don't worry about them. And make sure you do a tim-tam slam when you're here!
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    find me an Aussie woman that likes Americans! :)

Americans are awesome!
  • ditch_doctor8503
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    @ditch_doctor8503‌ , where are you from in the states? That is going to make a HUGE difference in how you percieve "cold" and "hot"
    I've been here five years and have worn a jacket ONCE. But I'm up North. I have friends in Sydney that are from MN, and they laugh at the thought of people needing to wear thermals here.

I'm currently in South Carolina. So I'm used to the south now. I used to live in northern New York for about 5 years. I completely understand about weather perception. Hopefully it won't be such a shock in Australia
    B)
  • ditch_doctor8503
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    Yep that'll cut down the price a lot. How long are you here for and where are you headed? The temperature in August will vary a lot depending on where you are going

For now I'm headed to Port Augusta area. I would like to head to one more place near there.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    August is actually a really good time of year to come. It's pretty moderate. Not too hot, not too cold, humidity is what normal humans can handle ... ;-)
  • ditch_doctor8503
    Options
    Oh! And my fellow Aussies will hate me for saying this, but drop bears are NOT real, so don't worry about them. And make sure you do a tim-tam slam when you're here!

Okay I'm dying to know what a drop bear is and what is a Tim-tam slam? I'm very excited to try that out!
  • ditch_doctor8503
    Options
    I live in Australia, definitely come, you will love it :) My best advice is, don't panic if you think people are insulting you. We have a sense of humour that is off-putting to non Australians sometimes. So, if someone pats you on the shoulder and says, 'ow's it garn, dickhead??' with a smile, it means they like you. :p So, if you think someone is being rude or shocking, just check their face, you'll quickly work out if they're just having a lend of you.

Thanks. I'm pretty open minded so I'll just roll with the punches :p
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    Yep that'll cut down the price a lot. How long are you here for and where are you headed? The temperature in August will vary a lot depending on where you are going

For now I'm headed to Port Augusta area. I would like to head to one more place near there.

Do you know someone in Port Augusta?

That is a great base to go to the Flinders Ranges. There is plenty of beautiful country to walk and cycle around there.

Port Augusra itself is not really a tourist town.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Okay I'm dying to know what a drop bear is and what is a Tim-tam slam? I'm very excited to try that out!

Tim Tam Slam - from wikipedia

The Tim Tam Slam (also known as the Tim Tam Shotgun, Tim Tam Bomb and Tim Tam Explosion) is the practice of drinking a hot beverage through a Tim Tam. Opposite corners of the Tim Tam are bitten off, one end is submerged in the beverage, and the beverage sucked through the biscuit. The crisp interior biscuit is softened and the outer chocolate coating begins to melt.

P.s. tim tams > oreos :p
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Tim Tams are amazing. Forget calories for a minute and make sure you try one! If you like hot sauce, consider taking a little bottle of Franks or Tabassco sauce with you. The only hot sauce Sydney had while I was there was this strange chili sauce.

PS - They sell Tim Tams in Canada now... but they just aren't the same...
  • HelenWater
    Options
    What kinds of activities do you want to do?

There is skiing in some parts of Australia, and scuba diving in others. I live in Adelaide, South Australia and August is a bit miserable weather wise but still ok for stuff like dragon boat paddling, rowing, walking, cycling, and surfing.
  • ditch_doctor8503
    ditch_doctor8503 Posts: 17
    edited March 2015
    Options
    [/quote]
    Do you know someone in Port Augusta?

That is a great base to go to the Flinders Ranges. There is plenty of beautiful country to walk and cycle around there.

Port Augusra itself is not really a tourist town.[/quote]

Yes my hubby has friends there so we wanted to visit them and work on visiting another place. I know we can't see all of Australia in 2-3 weeks But a couple of places would be nice. They are giving us some good ideas as well.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    They sell Franks and Tobasco at Woolies, even all the way up here in Cairns.
  • ditch_doctor8503
    ditch_doctor8503 Posts: 17
    edited March 2015
    Options
    HelenWater wrote: »
    What kinds of activities do you want to do?

There is skiing in some parts of Australia, and scuba diving in others. I live in Adelaide, South Australia and August is a bit miserable weather wise but still ok for stuff like dragon boat paddling, rowing, walking, cycling, and surfing.

I did look at the Adelaide area too! We like to walk and bike to places. We love trying new foods and I heard the wine is delicious near Adelaide. I've always wanted to scuba dive but will the water be too cold for it?
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi, drop bears are a myth some aussies like to tell to trick people, usually, it's something like a koala that jumps out of a tree and savages you? lol.

Also, I personally prefer my tim tam slam with a glass of cold milk, but I know most swear by a hot beverage with theirs.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Tim Tams are amazing. Forget calories for a minute and make sure you try one! If you like hot sauce, consider taking a little bottle of Franks or Tabassco sauce with you. The only hot sauce Sydney had while I was there was this strange chili sauce.

PS - They sell Tim Tams in Canada now... but they just aren't the same...

Good thing one tim tam's only 98 cals. Although good luck stopping at one :o

• ditch_doctor8503
    Options
    Well I will certainly try 1 or 3 Tim tams :D Thanks for all this great knowledge! You guys have no idea... I've searched the Internet and not even come close to the info I've gotten here. (Maybe my search queues were off) :p
  • ditch_doctor8503
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    They sell Franks and Tobasco at Woolies, even all the way up here in Cairns.

I do love hot foods but since it's a new country to me, I'll try whatever the locals eat!! Thanks for the advice on where to pick up some sauce though!
  • HelenWater
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Within a one hour(ish) drive of Adelaide there are three main wine producing regions and I can confirm that our wine is outstanding! Walking and biking is also good in and around Adelaide....and near the vineyards.

There is the Heysen Trail for bush walking and the Mawson Trail for mountain biking. Two hours north of Adelaide is a flat cycling trail - The Riesling Trail near...you guessed it, vineyards!

There are trails along the beach, from hills to beach running through Adelaide itself, too many to mention! Within a 30 minute drive there are conservation parks that are great for bushwalking and climbing in the hills. Scuba diving would be possible with a wet suit. I go dragon boat paddling, rowing, cycling, and walking year round.

Plenty of good food in Adelaide too. The central market is full of fresh produce of very good quality.

There has been some flooding in the north of the state in William Creek and that is a rarity so might be worth a look.

I think I should be working for the tourist board ;-)
  • fleurashford
    fleurashford Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the same goals as you and on top of that I'm taking a gap year jn Australia next year!!! Would love to motivate each other and talk about it!