Is this OK? Is my deficit too much??

Options
2»

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    altogirl2 wrote: »
    My daughter was also losing her hair and it was a vitamin D deficiency. Are you taking a good multi-vitamin? Her doctor put her on a big dose of daily vit D and she is seeing new hair growth. Maybe have your doc check those levels as well as thyroid?

Yep, that was done too. I was short of Vitamin D, I take a supplement every day. :smile: I think it's 10kIU?
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I have really thick hair and found more than usual on my brush for a couple months, after eating at a deficit for maybe 8 or 9 months (when I first noticed). But it's settled down now. I've read everything I can find on the subject too, and have no firm answers. My blood work is really good and my iron level is super good.

I think it is diet related because its never happened to me before, but I don't feel like it's a permanent thing, especially now that the heavy shedding has lessened and I'm not bald.

55835802.png
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is also -- sorry to say -- largely hereditary. If the people in your family (men and women) have thin hair, chances are, you will too.

But if it's unusual for you or you notice a dramatic increase in the rate of hair loss, yeah, definitely get that checked out by a doctor 'cause it could be a symptom of something else.

As for your deficit, remember that the Scooby calculator is showing you calories that you'd eat inclusive of exercise calories. If you eat back your MFP exercise calories, you'd likely get to close to the same number, depending on your loss goal. Scooby is giving you 600 calories at a 25% deficit, which is 1.2lbs/week, so really, anything around 1-1.5lbs/week on MFP is probably fine at this point -- but yeah, make sure to eat back those exercise calories! (2lbs/week is probably too much, mind you. MFP giving you 1200 calories is a reflection of that -- it's hit the "floor" and you should really eat lots more than 1200 at your height/weight/age.)
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Hair loss is also -- sorry to say -- largely hereditary. If the people in your family (men and women) have thin hair, chances are, you will too.

But if it's unusual for you or you notice a dramatic increase in the rate of hair loss, yeah, definitely get that checked out by a doctor 'cause it could be a symptom of something else.

As for your deficit, remember that the Scooby calculator is showing you calories that you'd eat inclusive of exercise calories. If you eat back your MFP exercise calories, you'd likely get to close to the same number, depending on your loss goal. Scooby is giving you 600 calories at a 25% deficit, which is 1.2lbs/week, so really, anything around 1-1.5lbs/week on MFP is probably fine at this point -- but yeah, make sure to eat back those exercise calories! (2lbs/week is probably too much, mind you. MFP giving you 1200 calories is a reflection of that -- it's hit the "floor" and you should really eat lots more than 1200 at your height/weight/age.)

My grandma on my dads side is practically bald and wears wigs all the time (sorry g-ma, I love you!). I don't know why, whether it's because of her many medical issues and prescriptions or because of genetic traits. I should ask her!

Just... 30lbs in a YEAR? That just seems so slow compared to what I've accomplished in 6-7months.

It's hard to view it as a good thing, being given such a (comparatively) huge calorie allotment.
  • Fredoboy
    Fredoboy Posts: 2
    Options
    altogirl2 wrote: »
    My daughter was also losing her hair and it was a vitamin D deficiency. Are you taking a good multi-vitamin? Her doctor put her on a big dose of daily vit D and she is seeing new hair growth. Maybe have your doc check those levels as well as thyroid?

Yep, that was done too. I was short of Vitamin D, I take a supplement every day. :smile: I think it's 10kIU?

• Fredoboy
    Fredoboy Posts: 2
    Options
    I've alwYs had semi thin hair. Started taking biotin and it has thickened up considerably
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Just to confuse u more, my sister lost tons of hair from stress. Just something to consider. I think u rate of weight loss is fine
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Just to confuse u more, my sister lost tons of hair from stress. Just something to consider. I think u rate of weight loss is fine

Yeah I know that can happen, honestly I've been in way more stressful situations in life and didn't lose my hair. My hair is super thick so I guess my husband noticed it was happening a lot. Like, small handfuls at a time running my hands through my hair in the shower.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Eat between 1600-1800 for a couple weeks and see if your hair goes back to normal. I lost hair and was tired and cranky all the time when I was at 1200.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Frankly, there is absolutely no evidence that your hair loss is related to your diet. You know, you have been dieting for months, and will continue, I understand, for a long period of time. Many, many, many things can happen, physiologically speaking, in such a long period of time.

Therefore it is probably just a coincidence that it happens during your weight loss.

Most important thing is that you saw a doctor and had blood work done.

Now if it's getting worse, or you are still concerned, see a doctor again for this specific hair loss issue.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Eat between 1600-1800 for a couple weeks and see if your hair goes back to normal. I lost hair and was tired and cranky all the time when I was at 1200.

I might bring it up to 1600, though I'm not afraid of the number, I'm afraid of the possibility I would binge more or something.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Frankly, there is absolutely no evidence that your hair loss is related to your diet. You know, you have been dieting for months, and will continue, I understand, for a long period of time. Many, many, many things can happen, physiologically speaking, in such a long period of time.

Therefore it is probably just a coincidence that it happens during your weight loss.

Most important thing is that you saw a doctor and had blood work done.

Now if it's getting worse, or you are still concerned, see a doctor again for this specific hair loss issue.

Yeah it just seems like I considered everything. Bloodwork, pregnancy tests, hormones balancing themselves, or not enough micro-nutrients because of my calorie intake. Maybe it's heredity and my thick hair will be gone in a matter of years. :neutral_face:
  • pinkStripe207
    pinkStripe207 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight and was under the guidance of doctor, nutritionist and plethora of others. With drastic weight loss you will lose your hair. Your extremities will also be cold. It's the stress to your system. I took biotin to help but I lost a mitt full everyday. Luckily I have very thick hair. It grew back once I reached goal. I've gained a wee bit (relatively speaking) in the past year which is why I'm tracking again.
    Don't worry...keep your protein up, take a multi vitamin, take enough iron and use prunes and flax for the constipation. I had regular blood work to make sure it was all okay...and had my nutritionist review the results
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight and was under the guidance of doctor, nutritionist and plethora of others. With drastic weight loss you will lose your hair. Your extremities will also be cold. It's the stress to your system. I took biotin to help but I lost a mitt full everyday. Luckily I have very thick hair. It grew back once I reached goal. I've gained a wee bit (relatively speaking) in the past year which is why I'm tracking again.
    Don't worry...keep your protein up, take a multi vitamin, take enough iron and use prunes and flax for the constipation. I had regular blood work to make sure it was all okay...and had my nutritionist review the results

Well honestly I've always run a little hot. I think it's just my biology. I do take iron and a multivitamin (it doesn't have Iron, but it's a free 90 day supply with free re-orders, sooo) and I have been eating lots of leafy greens and I drink a ton of water... maybe metamucil... I hate prunes.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to jump in and say, it may be your birth control if you're having other issues related to that (acne, etc.) my ob-gyn told me that typically, hormonal birth control will begin to have side effects that it previously did not after so long of being on it. It's worth looking into. My best friend has had to switch hers up several times after so many years of being on one or another; her symptoms varied, but for the first length of time (however long) on a certain pill, she was fine, then weird side effects would crop up and she'd switch. Mine has been switched every so often as well, but that's because i went from an iud to a pill to depo and back to the pill.

It's worth a shot, as is looking into pcos if you have conflicting diagnoses. Good luck!
  • pinkStripe207
    pinkStripe207 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Well honestly I've always run a little hot. I think it's just my biology. I do take iron and a multivitamin (it doesn't have Iron, but it's a free 90 day supply with free re-orders, sooo) and I have been eating lots of leafy greens and I drink a ton of water... maybe metamucil... I hate prunes.

Actually our bodies don't absorb the iron in leafy greens (spinach) very well. If you take it with vitamin C it helps. I don't really eat red meat, which is the best source for iron, so my levels were really low at first even though I ate a package of spinach a week. Nutritionist suggested the iron rich multi-vitamin. If you live in the US you can get that at the drug store. Here in Canada we have less iron in a multi...so instead I take a pre natal multi because it has more
  • kaitcxlv
    kaitcxlv Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am of a similar height and weight as you, with fine hair, and netting between 1200-1500 calories. I do tend to lose a lot of hair in general, but have not seen a significant difference since losing weight with MFP. In the past when I've lost a bunch of hair it has been related to stress. I find that not all stressors are obvious or considered negative, they can sneak up on us.

Good luck! :)
  • ogmomma2012
    Options

Actually our bodies don't absorb the iron in leafy greens (spinach) very well. If you take it with vitamin C it helps. I don't really eat red meat, which is the best source for iron, so my levels were really low at first even though I ate a package of spinach a week. Nutritionist suggested the iron rich multi-vitamin. If you live in the US you can get that at the drug store. Here in Canada we have less iron in a multi...so instead I take a pre natal multi because it has more
    Believe me I know about Iron and vitamin C. I put salsa in my cream of wheat, I take VitIron which is an iron supplement with vitamin C in it. Just seems like I can't hold on to Iron. I also think my hydration needs to be higher. My hematocrit levels are always below acceptable at the plasma center unless I drink a bunch of water the night before, and morning of, and timing my food intake with when I take my iron... its frustrating that I have to try so hard.