So confused about tdee and what MFP suggestions...

Options
stargazgal
stargazgal Posts: 93 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
ugh...please help.
I set MFP to 1.5 lbs per week loss and it has me at about 1550. I try to stay near that unless I exercise I sometimes eat more. I'm doing Strong Curves 3x week ( on beginner week 7) and cardio/core/yoga the other 3 days.... I feel stronger..doubled my weights in most areas...started bench press at 45 now at 75; deadlift 40 now at 90. Etc. My clothes fit slightly better but weight staying same...do I eat less.
When I used the TDEE calculator it had me set at 2305... To eat 1800 for weight loss...I read so much about using tdee...eating at maintenance..using MFP numbers...my head is buzzing.... What should I do???

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    So eating less will not stall your weight loss. That's a myth. It's more about, COULD you eat more and still meet your weight loss goals. Because if so, then awesome.

The key thing to mention about weight loss is that it isn't linear. And your weight, as measured by your scale, includes all of you. Water, hair, bone, the food you're digesting, blood, etc. So weight fluctuates or stalls for all sorts of reasons that aren't related to fat. Starting up a new exercise routine, or drastically increasing your exercise, can lead to a lot of water retention. Eating salty foods can cause water retention. Etc.

You don't say how long you've been doing this, how long the scale hasn't moved, how long you've been exercising for, etc. It's pretty common to see little/no loss, even a gain, for days or weeks, and then have a bunch fall off at once. I lost 4 lbs (of water, I assume) overnight a couple weeks ago.

Whether you do TDEE or MFP's #s plus some exercise calories is up to you. But I think it's more about how you prefer to arrive at the same destination, and not about one method being more effective than the other.

The other thing to note is how you are logging your food. Weigh your solids, measure your liquids. Otherwise, you might be eating more (or less) than you think, and it can actually be by quite a lot.

You feel stronger. Your clothes are fitting a bit better. So you're making progress. Your scale just isn't the best measure of that all the time. Have you taken progress pictures and measurements? Find any way you can to use as "checks" of your progress, because there's no one way that will really show it all for you all the time.
  • stargazgal
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    stargazgal wrote: »
    ugh...please help.
    I set MFP to 1.5 lbs per week loss and it has me at about 1550. I try to stay near that unless I exercise I sometimes eat more. I'm doing Strong Curves 3x week ( on beginner week 7) and cardio/core/yoga the other 3 days.... I feel stronger..doubled my weights in most areas...started bench press at 45 now at 75; deadlift 40 now at 90. Etc. My clothes fit slightly better but weight staying same...do I eat less.
    When I used the TDEE calculator it had me set at 2305... To eat 1800 for weight loss...I read so much about using tdee...eating at maintenance..using MFP numbers...my head is buzzing.... What should I do???

Keep in mind that MFP uses a NEAT approach -- Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. This is a target calorie goal that takes into account your normal, everyday life without counting any specific exercise energy. So you select an activity level (like sedentary, lightly active, etc.) based on your day-to-day life without counting gym trips, workouts, walks undertaken for exercise / calories instead of getting from one spot to another, etc. MFP then also works in the calorie deficit that you'd need from what it estimates your maintenance would be in order for you to meet your weight loss goals (and yours are significant - a 1.5 lb desired loss means a 750 dailt calorie deficit). Then MFP "credits" you with any exercise calories you log. So you go on a walk for an hour and walk three miles and burn 150 calories and MFP "gives" you an extra 150 calories to eat that day given your exercise activity.

TDEE does not distinguish between ordinary life and exercise. It is accurate for someone with a defined and regular exercise program but might not work as well with someone whose exercise varies week-to-week. This calorie total anticipates your NEAT (like MFP) and also anticipates the calories you'll burn during regular exercise -- so this calorie total is higher than NEAT because it assumes some regular exercise. Also, where MFP includes a deficit in your target calories based on your desired rate of weight loss, TDEE calculators generally just give you your TDEE (expected total calorie burn, including exercise). To lose 1.5 lbs per week, you'd need to accurately figure your TDEE and then subtract 750 cals to get a target calorie goal to lose that weight at that rate.

If your tracking of calories, including exercise calories is both accurate and consistent, then TDEE-deficit and MFP target calories should be equal over a weekly or longer measurement period. They are different ways of getting to the same target.

Sorry - I know this is confusing when you're new.

Final, and more important point. MFP, TDEE calories, anything from a website or calorie estimator in whatever form is just an estimate -- an educated guess at what you should do to achieve certain results. It all takes time, but if you track carefully and honestly (both intake and exercise calories, to the best of your abilities), you'll have your own personalized record of what you need to maintain your weight and what you need to do to lose or gain weight at any rate. Estimate says eat 1700 calories and you'll lose 1.5 lb per week but you're actually only losing 1.25 lbs? The estimate is slightly off for you (or your loggin is inaccurate - but who cares - keep loggin the same way and understand that you need a slightly lower total intake to hit 1.5 lb loss). I mentioned this takes time -- and this is also very important - your weight loss is very lumpy, very non-linear, espcially when just starting to try to lose weight or just incorporating new exercises. You have to give yourself time to acclimate to new habits, track carefully, and then look at results compared to expected results over a stretch of weeks. It's not easy or quick, but it is very worthwhile to get a handle on what works for you and what the results are.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ugh...please help.

TDEE takes into consideration your exercise calories. So you just eat 1800 every day.
    MFP does not take into consideration your exercise calories, you are supposed to add them on top of your MFP goal and eat them back. So you eat 1550 plus your exercise calories every day.

So they really aren't all that different, maybe off by @ 100 cals.
  • stargazgal
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for that explanation. I'll try to figure out what works for me then. Too bad it wasn't this hard to put the weight on. Lol.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Regardless what method you use, if you don't lose weight you are eating too much.

I like Cortelli's thought about either tightening your logging or increase your deficit because they both produce the same outcome.

I'd just knock off 100 calories a day for a week and see if you lose. If so, then you have to decide if you need to cut a bit more.

It sounds horrid to think you might have to eat below 1500 but what if you are logging so inaccurately that you really are eating 1800? Its really hard to log everything you eat perfectly, especially with the multiple choice database!

55835802.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing and it will come.
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This was sent to me from a good friend, Bluelena. This has been very helpful. You can do TDEE or you can do what MFP tells you. Both are very effective.

So, here it is in laymen's terms. I had to read the IPOARM post one billion times before I took the plunge, but it honestly is the best decision I made since joining MFP. The main thing I love about it is that it is more of a "big picture" approach rather than a daily approach. I do watch my macros and calories daily, of course, but the weekly big picture is something I pay attention to as well.

I love that on rest days, I'm not hungry because I haven't "earned" any calories from exercise. The MFP way, you set your activity level, eat your daily goal, work out, and then eat back those exercise calories. It worked for me for awhile, but then it started to piss me off that I was getting stronger and fitter, yet every time I turned around it was taking calories away from me. I was hangry on rest days because I didn't feel like I was being allowed enough.

This way, you eat the same calorie goal every day, regardless of what you do. Your exercise is built into that, so you don't log your exercise (hence, the 1 calorie workouts). It's much more sustainable for me, and honestly? It's something I can do for the long haul. When I get to my goal, I'll slowly start upping by a hundred calories or so a week until I'm at maintenance. Then, I'll eat maintenance and still work out at the level I'm working out now.

It's taken me awhile to learn and understand all of this, so I like to pass it on when people are interested to save them the trouble of having to learn it in pieces.

TDEE = The number of calories you burn in a day, from when you wake up and pee until you lay down to sleep. If you eat under this number, you lose. Eat over it, you gain. Eat that number, you maintain.

TDEE is based on the usual factors - age, height, weight. PLUS your activity level. I use moderate activity, since I work out 4-5 times a week. If you only work out 1-3 times a week, light activity might be the better activity level to use.

Take that number, and subract 20% - that's the optimal daily calorie goal to eat to lose. 30% for morbidly obese, 15% for when you only have about 10-15 pounds left. There's your deficit.

BMR is the number of calories that they would feed you through a tube if you were in a coma. The baseline, if you will. Eating below this number is a bad thing. Eating only this number is also a bad thing, because you're obviously not in a coma and are moving around, working out, cleaning, shopping, having sex, etc.

So there are three numbers to consider. TDEE at the top, 20% less for your calorie goal, and BMR. Honestly, unless I'm sick as a dog, it's unlikely that I'd eat as low as my BMR. I like food.

A good starter calculator to get you going is here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I ignore the food part, because all I need it to do is tell me my TDEE, my deficit, and my BMR. For every 5 pounds or so that you lose, you should re-do the numbers, because they will change.

In Place of a Road Map is this approach, written down and explained by HelloitsDan. If you decide that this is for you and you want to try it, I'd suggest friending him. He offers to do custom numbers for people from time to time and is a wealth of information. He knows his *kitten*, much more than I do. Most of what I'm explaining here came from him.

Attached is the IPOARM short and sweet link. The link to the more detailed version is at the top. This post helps explain how this is a FAT loss approach, not a WEIGHT loss approach. Which is why you should measure every month, and not hop on the scale every day. I didn't lose a pound between November and April but lost almost two pants sizes. I'm all about the body recomposition.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

I like to run the scooby's calculator as well as the ones that Dan uses, just to see if there's much of a difference. There usually isn't.

Macros - I, like a lot of people, have mine set at 40% carbs, and 30% for fat and protein. This is A LOT more protein that MFP calculates for you. The protein helps you retain lean body mass while you lose fat. And it satiates you. It's possible, but not probable, that you will "gain" muscle while eating at a deficit. At a deficit, you lose water, fat, and muscle. The goal is to lose more fat than muscle. This is why resistance training is so important. It helps you retain your muscle (lean body mass) while you lose fat. When you lose the layer of fat that covers everything is when you start to see definition because the fat isn't there to mask it. Make sense?

If you want to actually "gain muscle", you get to your goal weight and then eat MORE than your TDEE to "bulk", while lifting, so that you actually ADD muscle mass. I, personally, have no intention of ever doing this (a "bulk"). While I think that muscles are beautiful, I don't really have a desire to look "cut". I want definition, which I will gain from resistance and bodyweight training. That definition will show once I lose the fat that I need to lose. Think of fat as a blanket that covers up your muscles. If that blanket slowly deteriorates, you get to see the muscles underneath.

I also have my fiber set at 30g/day. I don't remember where I read that - maybe the eat more to weigh less group?

Speaking of groups: these are both very good resources:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

The major thing that's important is patience. This method works, believe me. But it takes your body some time to adjust to its new feeding program. So, it's suggested that you stick with it for 4-6 weeks and then start tweaking if you don't start seeing results. Don't expect to change the way you do things and expect to lose 1,000 pounds in the first two weeks. It's quite the opposite of starting MFP to begin with, when you lose a bunch at the beginning (which is mostly water). ESPECIALLY if you run your numbers and your daily goal is quite a bit more than what you'd already been eating. Your body needs time to adjust to that.

Also, know that every single one of these numbers is an AVERAGE. As long as they are moving in the right direction, you're doing good. If they're moving in the wrong direction, you need to tweak something.

Dan suggests in IPOARM that you set at body fat goal as well as a scale number goal. I agree. Right now, it's just to get below 30%. Then 25%, then MAYBE 20%, but I don't think I have the desire nor the discipline to go much lower than 22-25.

Body fat is a tricky one to measure, because there are so many variables and calculators. The only way to "truly" know your body fat is an expensive test where they immerse you in water (WTF, I know). I like to take the average from several calculators. As long as the number goes down over time, I know I'm doing things correctly.

To get my average, I use Heybales' spreadsheet. (Not the whole thing. I'm not a numbers girl and it confuses me). But there is a section in the middle where you input all of your measurements and it shows you the results from the different calculators plus an average. I use the average when I track BF%. I only track it when I measure, which is sometimes once a month, sometimes longer. I'm not a stickler for consistency, heh. Most people measure once a month, or once every couple of weeks. The easiest way for me to measure myself, BTW, is the Myotape. That thing is AWESOME.

Link to the spreadsheet, and a link to an explanation of what it does if that's what blows your skirt up.

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

Explanation: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

So, there it is. I know it's a lot of info. But I'd feel bad if you were eating what MFP told you and weren't logging your exercise. You'd likely be eating under BMR, which is what ends up damaging your metabolism. And I with good conscience can't let that happen to a friend.

(Know that I only share this stuff if people ask for it, or are curious as to what I'm doing. No need to shove anything down anyone's proberbial throat.)

• stargazgal
    Options
    Wow. Thanks. I will likely have to read that a few times. It's a lot of info and still hard to wrap my head around. I'll check out the links. So thoughtful that you took the time everyone to explain this to me. It.is. Much. Appreciated!!! :)
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is directly copied and pasted from an email sent to me! I've had to read it and reread it many times, and play around with the links. It's great information.

Best of luck!

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You're on week 7 of Strong Curves - but how long have you been eating at 1550 + exercise, and how long has your weight been stalled?

The different methods should come out about the same. Calories burned come from BMR, Activity, Exercise. Lets call it B, A, E. MyFitnessPal says eat B + A - 750 + E. They just don't assume you're going to eat E, so E starts at 0. TDEE is B + A + E - 750. Same math, except most using TDEE go by a percentage of B + A + E and it might not equal 750 exactly.

Do you use a food scale, track everything accurately? If not - start there. If so, give it 4 more weeks.
    ugh...please help.