Low carb dieters!

Options

Replies

• compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, I'm a bit tired of the whole a calorie is a calorie thing. Sure to loose weight you need to be in deficit. You can definitely do the twinkie diet and loose weight. But shouldn't we eat also for health? I don't care if people eat a bit of transformed food everyday, but getting good quality protein, fat and fruit and vegetables everyday is important.
    Honest question, because I've seen this exact reference three or so times today. Do you really think the CICO/IIFYM crowd exist solely on Twinkies and ice cream? I've seen several posts today referring to IIFYM as the "Twinkie diet" and while sure, if you can make Twinkies fit into your macros and eat under caloric maintenance you will lose weight but because of the caloric density/satiety of Twinkies I don't think it would be sustainable.
    Every IIFYM diary I've read looks pretty similar to mine lots of meat, fruits, vegetables and treats.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Honest question, because I've seen this exact reference three or so times today. Do you really think the CICO/IIFYM crowd exist solely on Twinkies and ice cream? I've seen several posts today referring to IIFYM as the "Twinkie diet" and while sure, if you can make Twinkies fit into your macros and eat under caloric maintenance you will lose weight but because of the caloric density/satiety of Twinkies I don't think it would be sustainable.
    Every IIFYM diary I've read looks pretty similar to mine lots of meat, fruits, vegetables and treats.

I was refering to this:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

I don't know what other crowds are eating on this forum. But I see plenty of comments saying that it doesn't matter if you drink soda, eat ice cream and chips as long as you are in a caloric deficit.

I mean, if you really like ice cream and you have a balanced diet, I think it's fine. But subsisting on mostly white bread, pasta and junk food is not very nutriment rich.
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @judiness101‌ Oh wow I'd forgotten about this guy, thanks for the link!
    Now that I think about it though I remember the surprising cholesterol results had sparked conversation about a more in-depth study, looks like I need to do some research to see what came of that.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

no. it's a blog by a doctor - bit like sigmanutrition which is by "a nutrition coach and educator".
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Five years ago I was extremely obese and probably would have stayed that way if I had not tried a low carb diet. Before low carb I tried calorie restricting, weight watchers etc but was not able to stick to anything long term. I read this interesting book and thought I would try it for two weeks before my birthday and lost 10 pounds.

After my birthday week I thought I would continue and ending up sticking with it for about 5-6 months. Its been a while now so I can remember exact measurements but I think lost between 20-30 pounds. After 6 months I started gradually eating carbs again. I was able to maintain my weight for a while but gradually gained but probably 5-6 pounds.

When I was doing low carb I was not counting anything. I had a list of foods I count have and foods which were banned. Eg eggs for breakfast, lunch would be fish and salad or chicken salad, dinner would be omelette with vegetables (if I did not eat eggs for breakfast).

Everyone is different - for me the low carb lifestyle helped me short term as I saw fast results and actually saw a way out of my obese state. Before that I was in a helpless cycle where I wanted to lose but couldn't see a way out as I thought always remain that big. Losing the first 10 pounds gave me hope.

• kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am a LCHF eater and it is for life. I am diabetic. I do not do so low as to go keto, but my carbs are usually between 59 to 89 most days (this is not net carbs either.. to get net you subtract your fiber from the carbs). So it is low carb.

What I notice is some do all the meat/cheese type low carb diets. I don't. I eat a very well healthy balanced meals/snacks. I do eat usually 6 times a day. I try to get at least 3 servings of veggies in, 2 dairy, and 2 to 3 fruits. I do eat lower carb fruits and veggies. I also get some meat in there (not loads of meat, but some, 3 to 6 oz a day. I also get a serving of nuts in a day too.

I have an open food diary, March 5th and 6th are a little off due to being stuck at work, but they aren't bad days. Also Feb 16, 17, 18 I was stuck at work (both times due to major ice storms) I work in a hospital so got kinda stuck with what foods were availabe to me.

The way I do my low carb is healthy, nutritous and a way I can live my whole life on. I started with 1200 -1300 calories. when I started on MFP (been doing this way of eating for over a year before coming here), As I am incorperating more exercise in, I am upping my calories. I am set for 1200 to 1500. I watch how much I am losing and only want to lose no more than 2 lbs a week. If I am losing quicker than that, I will up my calories more.

Also, you do not restrict your calories because you go low carb. Nuts, cheese, meats all are higher calorie, no carbs or very little.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

no. it's a blog by a doctor - bit like sigmanutrition which is by "a nutrition coach and educator".

His physiology is spot on. ;)
  • eric_sg61
    Options

I was refering to this:

I don't know what other crowds are eating on this forum. But I see plenty of comments saying that it doesn't matter if you drink soda, eat ice cream and chips as long as you are in a caloric deficit.

I mean, if you really like ice cream and you have a balanced diet, I think it's fine. But subsisting on mostly white bread, pasta and junk food is not very nutriment rich.

http://www.20potatoesaday.com/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    While low carb is a viable option, it is not magic

indeed, nothing is magic. Low carb seldom comes out worse, often better, in RCTs. No doubt why those inclined to oppose low carb (for whatever reason, I'm not a psychiatrist) spend so much time attacking discussion of low carb diets.

meta analyses - LOL.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I can't maintain a calorie deficit for long without eating a low carb diet. For that matter, I can't even eat at maintenance without eating low carb; my appetite is insatiable if I eat too many carbs. I'm assuming that indicates some sort of insulin resistance but I really don't know and honestly don't care. Low carb works for me and is sustainable so that's what I do.

Don't get caught up in trying to justify yourself to the people who pounce on these sorts of threads; they don't understand and never will. If it works for you let that be good enough. Best wishes. :)

that is slightly different than OP's point which is that 1) calorie restriction does not work for her and 2) keto/low carb is superior to all other means of calorie restriction for fat loss
  • eric_sg61
    edited March 2015
    Options

indeed, nothing is magic. Low carb seldom comes out worse, often better, in RCTs. No doubt why those inclined to oppose low carb (for whatever reason, I'm not a psychiatrist) spend so much time attacking discussion of low carb diets.

meta analyses - LOL.

When protein is matched they come out pretty much equal. Some of those studies are really comparing a low protein diet to a high protein diet. Then, there is the issue of "free-living" studies and self-reported data.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I was refering to this:

what those people mean is that you can incorporate those food into your day after you have hit your macro/micro targets…

No one is advocated a diet composed of 100% sugar/bagels/ice cream etc…absolutely no one…that is a straw man that clean eating zealots and keto/low carbers use to dismiss the IIFYM/moderate eating.
  • ndj1979
    Options

meta analyses - LOL.

i only came in to challenge the following;

1. OP does not restrict calories and loses weight < yes, she does. She restricts carbs, which leads to restricting calories, which leads to weight loss.
    2. keto/low carb is "superior" for fat loss/weight loss. No, it is not.

For the record, I could care less what tool people use to get there….but at the end of the day it is all calorie deficit and CICO ….
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I did keto (LCHF) for months and I do not find it sustainable. When you start on the diet you loose a ton of water and you need to drink a lot of broth to avoid constipation. I also gave me irregular periods and I wouldn't recommend it long term.The other annoying thing is the minute you have a cheat you gain a lot of water back and it takes about 2-3 days till everything comes back to normal.

I find that I can achieve similar results by doing one or two 24 hour fast a week, without having to limit my carbs under 50 g daily.

However, I do limit my carbs to less than 150g on most days and I avoid transformed food as much as possible. For me it still helps me limiting my hunger and I can eat fruit, honey and starch back and I eat grains usually once a week.

On the other hand, I'm a bit tired of the whole a calorie is a calorie thing. Sure to loose weight you need to be in deficit. You can definitely do the twinkie diet and loose weight. But shouldn't we eat also for health? I don't care if people eat a bit of transformed food everyday, but getting good quality protein, fat and fruit and vegetables everyday is important.

No one on this board ever recommends eating nothing but twinkies.

We generally recommend a balanced diet with a twinkie (or whatever) thrown in here and there.

A calorie is a calorie, though.
  • SarahMarieYates
    SarahMarieYates Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of success the first month of low-carb lifestyle. The second month not so much but I've been focused more on eating clean than eating low-carb. Now in my third month I'm focusing on eating clean, calorie deficit, strength training and moving more! Good luck to you but I would try and lean more toward clean eating than low carb. I would love to try full on paleo but I love cheese too much to do that!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I had a lot of success the first month of low-carb lifestyle. The second month not so much but I've been focused more on eating clean than eating low-carb. Now in my third month I'm focusing on eating clean, calorie deficit, strength training and moving more! Good luck to you but I would try and lean more toward clean eating than low carb. I would love to try full on paleo but I love cheese too much to do that!

clean eating is totally unnecessary for weight loss, period.
  • jennibean40
    jennibean40 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Its totally necessary for a healthy lifestyle though. @ndj1979‌
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yeah....no.

It is not necessary. You can eat whole foods and process foods and still be healthy. Eating the proper macro and micro nutrients is what makes you healthy. Unless you have a medical issue. Your lifestyle does not have to consist of only "clean" foods.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Please define healthy.