The Emotional Side of Losing Weight

Options
I am fairly new to MFP and I am still finding my feet.

How do you all deal with the emotional side of losing weight? I am feeling rather overwhelmed with 100lbs + to lose. I am trying to break it down to smaller targets but I still sub consciously know my total.

Ta xx

Replies

• Mandi98U
    Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just try and focus on the little things like getting more fit so if I run further today it just means I'm getting healthier try not to focus on the weight just the positive side effects
  • Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time. It might take a few weeks to see initial results and then it might be slow or stuck at times. Just stick with it. Get a good trainer for at least 30 mins a week if you can afford it. Once you start seeing results you will want to continue. Friend me for motivation
  • Biscuitz89
    Options
    Hiya I'm new to MFP as well. I have needed to lose between 60-80 pounds in the last five years without much success. It sometimes feels too much as I kept failing EVERY DAY at eating good. I was a stalker of MFP but here I am! I am taking each day as it comes as well. Weighing weekly with one day I can cut myself slack and eat whatever I want. If you want a friend in the same boat feel free to add :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You make it unemotional and get tough with yourself for not eating right.....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I set smaller goals: losing 10% of my body weight, getting to 200lbs (closely followed by getting out of the obese BMI range). It's much easier when you don't hold out for a goal that's a really long way away and can celebrate the smaller wins. And getting into smaller sizes is nice too, but it took me a while to start dropping sizes.

ETA: Wait, is the OP banned?
  • tericx
    tericx Posts: 16
    Options
    Not sure why I was banned but I am back now. Thank you for your responses so far
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    One day at a time, dude.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    misst3687 wrote: »
    Not sure why I was banned but I am back now. Thank you for your responses so far

Sorry about that, it was a glitch in the system but we fixed it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I had 90 to lose when I first started, and couldn't think about it. I still can't think about it in one big chunk. I think about it in 5 pound increments.

5 pounds at a time? I can handle that. That gives me a goal that's reachable. I also go day to day with meeting my goal of eating within my deficit, weighing and measuring my food, and logging.

So far, for closing in on 4 months, it's worked.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Breaking it down really does work. You will feel so good just getting to those smaller targets. I've lost 95 so far (100 or 105 is my ultimate goal), and just losing the first 10 and then 30 made a huge difference and then the next 10 and so on, however you like to think about it. Also, starting to feel like it works and you can do it will be motivational, and setting and achieving non-weight-related goals, like for me activity things and later doing races and so on.

I am a goal-setting person, but I found it hugely helpful to map out a bunch of goals starting long term (one year) and then 6 months, 3 months, 1 month, this week, and planning in more or less detail depending. I included weight loss goals because I found it inspiring to think that if I keep this up I could be 30 lbs down by X, but would do that only if you won't be bothered by missing the goal if it happens (I'm not, while finding it motivating). The bigger things were achievement and process goals. For 6 months run X many miles or do a race or be working out 5 days/week or some such. And then for the very short term pick a specific thing to work on, like "this week I will meet my calories every day and cook 90% of my meals" or "go to the gym 3 times" or whatever." My focus changed as I got something down and started working on something else.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    By focusing on the process, not the results. I brush my teeth every day and I don't necessarily see "rewards" for it -- the biggest reward is the absense of a negative (a clean dental check-up) but I brush my teeth because it's just habit. There's no end goal.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I mapped out goals for every 10 lbs lost and rewarded myself every time I hit a goal. I wanted so badly to get down to a certain weight, but I didn't believe that I'd actually get there. I surpassed that "goal" by 8 lbs. I believe a key to that was not thinking that I needed to lose 70 lbs to be in a healthy weight range for my height. That felt too overwhelming and made me want to quit before I even got started.

Get yourself a strong support system and never, ever give up. Every single day is not going to be good. Some days you will weigh a little more. Take pictures and measure yourself regularly. NSVs (Non-scale victories) will become something that makes you extremely happy. Good Luck :)
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I break it down into 5-10 pound increments. That may work for you. Weighing daily motivates me - it pulls a lot of people down so you have to figure out what works for you. Can you pull someone into your weight loss journey with you? Start a blog? Take before and after pics? Enjoy each day - watch the sunrise, enjoy dancing in your living room, meditate, whatever works for you. Peace and support your way!
  • MLLeFever
    MLLeFever Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    By concentrating on what can be done now. I had 100 lbs to lose, I lost 50 over 4 years, and the last 35 have been thanks to MFP over the last few months. I'm 15 lb from my original goal, but now my goal is shifted and I nowwant to lose about 30 more pounds. Instead of concentrating on my big goal, which cannot be obtained in a month, I concentrate on what can be done.

I can lose 4-5 pounds in a month, I can lose 1-1.5 pound a week. I Set my goal for the week and I work as hard as possible to check it off my list. If I don't meet my goal, I review what I did over the last week and see if I can locate the problem. I don't add the weight I didn't lose to the following week... Each week it's 1-1.5 lb... For now.

For me, it makes it less overwhelming. I can handle a week. I can't handle fixating on the end goal. I thought my end goal would be 215 lbs, but it turns out it wasn't. my body didn't react like it did when I lost the weight the first time in my early 20s. So instead of worrying about it, I'm just focusing on the end result of each week. I failed to reach my goal last week, but it was my 10 year anniversary and decided to have a lavish dinner, champagne, and some cake. This week is a new week and the goal remains to be 1-1.5 lbs.
  • orlandodenise
    orlandodenise Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had 170 to lose - I never even thought 50 was possible ! I just focused on small goals -fitting into a dress, going out with mates and it just melted off as I increased my exercise from zero to walking 3 miles a day and now I do 6 days a week at the gym. Im on the last 61 pounds now. Im 5 7 and carry most on my legs so from waist up and dressing well I look virtually slim - but its definitely an emotional journey to realise Im not the fat girl ignored in the corner.

Good luck on your journey x
  • Leobaby
    Leobaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I also used the 5 lbs mini goals. They helped me to stay focused in reachable goals instead of trying to beat this whole XX lbs monster. It can be overwhelming.

Also, focus in the non scale victories. When your everyday clothes start to fit more comfortably, or when you can fit into that piece of clothing (even if barely) that you absolutely couldn't a few weeks ago, realize those ARE victories too. I had my closet half full of stuff I couldn't fit or would look not flattering on me, now I can proudly say I had beaten each and everyone of those little suckers and everything (MY GOD, EVERYTHING!!!) on my closet fits great (3 years and 53lbs after :) ).

As for rewards, I personally don't like the idea of rewarding yourself with food. Instead, when I reached a mini goal (scale or non scale) I would go to work in a skirt or blouse I hadn't wear in a while because it wouldn't fit, get my self all prettied up and indulge in the nice comments from friends and coworkers. Ego can be your dear friend if you now how to use it in your favor...

You can do it, just make baby steps at first and get more "aggressive" as you feel like it. Have a great weight loss journey :D
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I agree with not making your reward food! New nail polish, a new pair of shoes, a walk on a new route, sleeping in 10 extra minutes... something like that. Honestly, losing weight is its own reward.

Nothing could have made me as happy as slipping into my smallest pair of jeans (which I had well outgrown) straight out of the dryer. When they get too loose on me, I will finally buy some new ones. That's my next "big" goal. Not the other 65 pounds I have to lose. I also have another goal of increasing the incline on the treadmill.

There are ALL sorts of little victories along the way to keep your focus and set your mind to. Savor them.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Mini goals (every ten pounds) & rewards help a lot.

Exercise helps a ton as well! In the first few months, I could see and feel physical changes practically daily due to my workouts.

I started almost ten months ago with 82-100 pounds to lose (82 to fall several pounds under the obese lines and 100 to just above a 'normal' BMI for my height). I am currently down 56, so definitely over the half way line!

It's not easy to see how far you have left to go, but the longer you remain dedicated, the more progress you have to look back on and less to regret not doing sooner.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I started out at nearly 100 lbs. to lose. Now down to about 70 to lose to be at my ideal. DON'T think about "how much" you have to lose. DO celebrate every pound. Every. Single. Pound. That pound is one pound less that you now have to lose! When you're down to, say, five pounds lost, think about this: you'd have killed or died to have been five pounds lighter a month ago! Now you ARE! And just keep going with it.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    One. Pound. At. A. Time.

Carry on ...